Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Anyone know the wiring pinout on that TDC sensor that isn't documented hanging off the alternator?

I think its time I tap into that. I'm assuming its a 3 wire hall effect just don't know which is + and - pins.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just probed the pins until I got a signal from that weird diagnostic port.

Assuming TDC.

Yellow- hall signal from distributor
purple- TDC sensor on flywheel.

All seems good to me.

Guess its time to start looking at the other sensors, temp II, air flow etc etc etc
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Hey, I was just playing with the simulator some more and I am wondering if you have an issue with your ECT signal getting back to the ECU.

From VW document SSP 103: if the signal (ECT) is interrupted whilst the engine is operating, the Digifant control unit switches back to the basic firing point and no adjustment of the firing point occurs. If interruption occurs before starting up, the Digifant control unit switches over to the assigned map value for the warm engine (>60 deg C)

If ECT is disconnected before start the scope trace looks like this:

ECT sensor connected and working at start

a timing difference of 27.4 deg BTDC

edit: added 2nd scope trace to make comparison easier

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sun May 03, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Thats interesting.

What is ECT? Is that the hall effect or ?
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

signal at pin 1 with TDC signal.

So this is what is coming to the ECU from pin 7 of the ignition control module.

I took the case off of the ECU to get to the pins so I can read the values with the engine running.

It looks like the signal is making the trip anyway.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

purple- TDC
cyan- ignition signal (number 1 cylinder)
yellow- hall

more testing is in order here.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:

What is ECT?

ECT = engine coolant temperature sensor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

how about spark plug wire waveforms?
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
davlance01 wrote:

What is ECT?

ECT = engine coolant temperature sensor.

Ok, thanks.

Still fiddling with the timing. Watching the changes as I turn the distributor.

Something of interest not related to my running issues is when you turn the distributor the location of the TDC and spark fire does not change in relation to each other, your moving the hall effect signal to the left and right on the scope.

Another interesting note is I can put my timing at 5 degrees before TDC on the scope and it runs pretty good. When I check it with my new Harbor Freight timing light it shows more than 60 degrees out. I'm starting to think that cheap timing light had me screwed up the whole time!

I have the spark waveforms I'll have to post them in a few after I put my timing back.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
how about spark plug wire waveforms?

I got number 4 spark and fuel injector posted on the first page.

I got all cylinders and I'll have to upload a pic later but of coarse the resolution isn't as good.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Thought I would add this info because it pertains to this discussion. I'm not sure if the 78 deg BTDC is with or without the base timing, but the irregardless, the hall window opening is 72 degrees (78 - 6)

Maybe you can set your timing with the TDC sensor waveform and the waveform from the Hall sensor.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

DigiMatrix that is really helpful. (although I am running digijet, I'm not sure if there is a difference or not)

It does look like in the picture they have the rotor cap pointing at number 1 piston based on that little notch I see in the picture.

I guess measure the angle against the hall sender?

Word to the wise though....
If you purchase a secondary pickup from hantek and you buy good wires that are well insulated the hantek has a really hard time picking up the signal.

I wrapped the spark plug wire with bare copper wire then clamped onto that and I'm getting a better signal. I do not know enough about electronics to know if that bare copper wire is helping or hurting me.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe you can set your timing with the TDC sensor waveform and the waveform from the Hall sensor.

I did that already by measuring the time between 4 hall signals then dividing that number by 360 then converted back into time then turned my distributor until that time matched up while running.

The car ran way better than it had but I still have a back fire through the exhaust at random I'm trying to track down.

I had already did a compression test (relative and actual) and everything is well within specs with very little difference between cylinders so I believe this is something else.

Whatever it is I will find it eventually.
Anyone know if a fouled plug will make the engine backfire? Its looking like I got either a fouled plug or bad injector on cyl 1.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I ended up doing to get a good spark wave.

1) I hooked up my crappy little ht25 to the coil wire.
2) Then I wrapped the number 1 spark wire with 1 wrap of copper wire and set the probe at 10x.
3) Set my trigger at the spark plug wire then pulled the good signal from the coil.

Worked like a charm.

My waveform on the other hand is showing low spark voltage and a possible fuel issue! I have seen that spark voltage jump up to 10k then down then up, it really seems to bounce around a lot.

Next I'm going to check that #1 injector and post that waveform so you all can look at it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

There is a lot of stuff you can so wrong trying to measure this, like having capacitance in your probe , an unreliable probe.

From PHYS 369 almost a half century ago

“ an oscilloscope with an unreliable trigger has nothing to say”
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is a lot of stuff you can so wrong trying to measure this, like having capacitance in your probe , an unreliable probe.

From PHYS 369 almost a half century ago

“ an oscilloscope with an unreliable trigger has nothing to say”

I think I got a pretty good spark reading. I have a crappy scope but I spent extra on the leads. Seems to work ok and I'm learning a ton before I go out and spend real money on a real scope.
I got enough resolution now to see that I have a lean condition on cyl 1 for sure.

Thanks for your help and if you see me doing anything wrong I'd love to know because I'm just getting started in this scope thing and a lot of us are just learning the new way of doing things.

Do you have a lot of experience with vehicle diagnostics with a scope?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

For decoding ignition waveforms, start with watching some Jim Morton videos:

Link

Here are the known goods that I found in my personal library

Injector voltage/current and the distributor signal.

This was a new fuel pump, but many of them require time to break in. If I were to capture this on a car with a fuel pump concern, I'd be suspicious of this pump pattern. Broken in pumps need to be smooth oscillations with no drop outs.

snap throttle of maf and fuel pump.

Digijet idle control stabilizer. It appears all it does is slightly amplify the signal going out to the ECM. The reason I have this capture is because I had a bad one, and it was getting the signal from the distributor, but it was only intermittently sending it to the ECM.

And I had this one as a pdf, but didn't save the .psd unfortunately.
Blue: Ignition coil voltage
Red: Spark kV
Green: Ignition trigger
Yellow: Coil current
The jump in the red trace is an acquisition issue and it doesn't actually jump up like that. The coil is current limiting type, that's why it reaches the peak and tries to hold it. I need to redo this one since I've since learned a few things, including how to arrange "pretty" waveforms.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

That’s a small 200 mV ( y scale) ripple on the fuel pump voltage, but any DC motor will have a couple of ripple frequencies from the spinning armature . You ca actually see a couple of different freesia that plot. Did the scope have an FFT button? That would make them jump out

The loop coupling onto theHV lead could be changing a lot with small vibrations of the lead. Try making several wraps of wire to make those changes small relative to the sampled area.

Are you coupling in at 1 Meg impedance?
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

hans_j: If you were standing in front of me I'd give you a hug!

Thanks for that information, it is a very helpful post (although I am a little jealous of your pico scope)

This is my old original fuel pump. I got a new pump but I swapped it out because I suspected the new amazon pump might have been bad.

Mine is pulling a little less amps than yours. I watched a video that said I should suspect a pump with less than 3 amps. Mine appears right on the line of that.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s a small 200 mV ( y scale) ripple on the fuel pump voltage, but any DC motor will have a couple of ripple frequencies from the spinning armature . You ca actually see a couple of different freesia that plot. Did the scope have an FFT button? That would make them jump out

The loop coupling onto theHV lead could be changing a lot with small vibrations of the lead. Try making several wraps of wire to make those changes small relative to the sampled area.

Are you coupling in at 1 Meg impedance?

How do you use FFT and what is it for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: