Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You meet the nicest people....
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Off work, so I'm making a stop at the PO. A woman pulls in next to me. She proceeds to tell me she worked on these buses in the early 60's at a VW dealership in Berkeley.

She was one of the mechanics there that would pull the engines, split the block, line bore...etc...terms I don't usually here from an elderly woman. She told me stories for near 1/2 hour !! Wanted to give her a big huggie !

I'm smiling as I'm typing this .... — feeling loved.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

That's neat Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

She's a posser, everyone knows it's called a case, not a block Wink

Seriously, i bet she can do a clutch job in 30 minutes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
She's a posser, everyone knows it's called a case, not a block Wink

Seriously, i bet she can do a clutch job in 30 minutes.

And it would match her brake shoes.

It’s great when you meet the unexpected like this.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

That is pretty cool !! I'd ask her if she had any dealership memorabilla.
About 5 years ago I was at the local cheap beer & cigys store and this older lady was checking out my '66 Truck, she asked to sit in it, I had to help her in by pulling on her arm from the pass. side Embarassed Laughing She was so jacked up after sitting in it, as her hubby just rolled his eyes...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

It's the moments like this that make all of the annoying comments worth it.

Last summer when I was in my Bus at a state park a woman came up to me and told me about her dad running a VW dealership in the 50's when she was a kid. She would go with him to pick them up in New Orleans when they first started getting them in. She said her dad was glad when they took the bar out of the middle of the rear windows on the Bugs because he could see out of the back better so that was early 50's

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

That's so cool!!!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Sure would be great to get audio files of folks like this. Too many behind the VW dealer stories being lost.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Will she rebuild my engine?

Heinz Nordhoff
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Sure would be great to get audio files of folks like this. Too many behind the VW dealer stories being lost.

That would be awesome! gitchesum, maybe you can go back and ask to record her as she tells you dealer stories. Eric&Barb are 1000% correct about losing this kind of stuff.

Side note: My coworker sat down with his Grandfather a WWII Vet and recorded many stories he had to tell that he had not shared since he got out.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: You meet the nicest people.... Reply with quote

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: