Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1959 Franken Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Bravo!
Cool Cool Cool
You make it look easy.

Carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
I say if you take a VW bus without a nose that was being used as a shed and bring it back to the road you can do what ever you want with it.

True That!

Nice job and a lot of work.......I've been trying to find the energy to just replace my rocker.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

The Franken Project was on the shelf for a long time as her owner bought a boat last year that needed lots of tinkering. The bus was loaded up tonight and is headed up the I-15 to Idaho for the next stage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This got in the way Smile
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Idaho....Did you sell the bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

This got in the way Smile

It’s the effin Catalina wine mixer! So, did you sell the bus to fund the boat, or, like the kid in all of us, get a new toy and forget the old? Haha

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

It’s the effin Catalina wine mixer! So, did you sell the bus to fund the boat, or, like the kid in all of us, get a new toy and forget the old? Haha

Yes the new toy easily distracted me. I joke that I like old VWs because they are “tinker mobiles” always needing a little attention. I found out boats are even worse, so the bus was collecting dust. I didn’t sell the bus, she is on the way to a buddy’s shop so the work can continue and I can keep tinkering on the boat. Laughing
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Here is a little update on the Frankenbus. We put an Autowerks air beam on the bus along with a WagensWest/Wilwood brake set. I like the stance on it.

John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Any updates?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
Any updates?

Just a few. After the suspension install we wanted to start on the engine. I had Rick Wright build the 68 bug transmission to handle up to 200hp for what I was planning. Again this is a Frankenbus so the purists will definitely need to avert/divert your eyes. Shocked

I picked up a 2001 Subaru Outback with a rebuilt EJ25 engine and 5 speed for $400. The car was really clean except that the rear diff was locked up.

The EJ 25 is a little wider than a ACVW so we did have to trim a little sheet metal in the engine bay. I also picked up a low profile oil pan so that everything is above the transmission cradle.

We got the decklid and a new apron installed that also needed some trimming.

Right now we are working on the exhaust. I picked up a stainless steel header, but it hung way too low. Here it is reworked and shortened. Next up is the driver's side and the muffler. I need to buy some bumpers for it to get the muffler position correct.

More updates to come. Cool

Last edited by Shoyrtt on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Ironic that everything you trimmed I’m trying to fix on my 56 because it had a Corvair drivetrain.
So where’s the Rad going?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
Ironic that everything you trimmed I’m trying to fix on my 56 because it had a Corvair drivetrain.
So where’s the Rad going?

The trimming wasn't too bad on the sides. The apron is a repop piece so no issues on cutting it as needed. If I had opted for the 2.2 (EJ22 engine) no trimming is necessary. Radiator will go between the frame rails. I'm thinking something similar to this but tucked up a little higher:

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of what I am shooting for with the radiator. It’s got to be close to the level of the frame rails with the bus being lowered.

And here is a nice diagram of a plumbing and fan layout. Luckily this isn’t a new swap in the VW world.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Radiator in place. Fans, plumbing and ducting are next.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Ribbed bumpers from ISP West arrived along with a decklid prop from Resto Bus Parts.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Does anyone know where ISP West obtains their rear ribbed bumpers from? The front is clearly a Gerson unit. Maybe Autocraft? I would guess a majority of the aftermarket metal on the bus came from Wolfsburg West, with Klassic Fab in a close second.

If you are wondering, that is a 2.4 Ecotec in the Baja Bug.
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Moving right along.
Matt_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

I thought this was my van for a second ! Very Happy

We should definitely swap notes, meet my 1959 Project : )

Smile
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Matt_H wrote:

Smile

That looks great! I like to see I'm not alone with the swap. You see a lot of Bay and Vanagon people who do this, but not so much in the Split world.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Here is the front bumper in place. Lots of Gerson funky green going on.

For the fuel system, I was going to buy an aftermarket 15 gallon cell that was set up with an in-tank pump and return for the fuel injection. The problem with that tank is it makes filling from the stock location difficult with the angles the hose will have to take. Instead we decided to just use a new stock tank and add a return in the neck. I'll just have an external pump and regulator. If we run into vapor lock issues, there is a trick we can use that we have used on the desert cars to cool the fuel.

Matt_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The 1959 Franken Project Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Matt_H wrote:

Smile

That looks great! I like to see I'm not alone with the swap. You see a lot of Bay and Vanagon people who do this, but not so much in the Split world.

A few more photos here https://www.instagram.com/the.cornish.one/

I started planning mine way back in 2015 and had a few threads on here about it, but sadly they all got lost (as well as my profile) so I'm now here looking like a newbie Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: