Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed shifters-height for bug?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Stock height seats. I am 5’8”.
I see 10”, 12”, and 14”
What’s the size most people get? I like the classic curved black style. Nothing billet or flashy like most companies!!!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
flc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Sit in the car and get comfortable, hand near gear lever, where it feels
Best. Get a friend to measure.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

I have this one in my bug and I love it!

https://store.concept1.ca/V.S.-Shifter-T1-12%22-Pull-Up-Quick-VSD15579552200/
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

I'm 5-10 and have the seat all the way back. My shifter is a Berg 12" with an extra bend. It is nice, but 14" would have been better. The only problem with Berg is the 14" is a 60% reduction.

If your seat is closer to the steering wheel, 12" would be fine, but do NOT get a 10"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys! I don’t want anything flashy but the stock one is soo.....thin I guess! Angled back would be real nice. I do not like t handles or trigger pulls. Just a clean look.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:

That’s the exact one I am considering but in black. Did you get the Porsche bushing also? It says it reduces noise and vibration?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

The VS shifters look nice. Just so you know Berg shifters can be bought with a ball handle and integrated lockout. Here is mine in my 65

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Looks nice man. Your interior...what color is it? I’m going beige tweed for the headliner but not sure what colors for seats, door panels, and carpet!!?
You can pm me if you want(-this is the performance section)
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

I have the classic 13 1/2" version and I really like it. I have been swapping around shift knobs a bit as it has the normal early bug 10mm thread. The pull up reverse becomes natural after the second or third time.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-13-1-2-Speed-Shifter-155-795-50700-p/155-795-50700.htm
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Hey Roof, did not see it posted so just like to say take your arm length into account and height since I guess they make these in different lengths(Heights).

Also, I went straight Hurst in saying that... Not curved....

I do have a short one though and wonder if I should throw it in, its a Hurst at that, but wonder if it is no go to its like 7 inches center of knob from Main Pivot Point... Not sure what a Hurst is, car is at the knife right now so don't have it to measure...

Just Did-Bit of info to consider.... What is comfortable and all or will work.. RB
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Why have a 7 inch when you could have a 12 or 14 inch one???😂😂
I ordered the 12 inch with the bushing so I think I will be OK.. I’m a little short. I bet you can’t wait to get your super back!!!!??
Thanks for your recommendations on the gauges!!!!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

Here you go, it was in my Street Rail and pulled it when I sold it, was super quick do to ratios and all......

Just through in a cut down stock one I had previous to this marvel..

Also, has like a 3.5" throw.. Takes some use to for it does have "less leverage" though... RB

p.s. So wonder if the angle do to it being so short in a Super it would be bothersome?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

I’m gonna start calling you “Stubby”.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

lol... Its a Bad Ass Shifter, never seen one before and never since, Why I had it done, and yea, machinist level for sure to get it correct.... In keeping it a "Hurst"... lol... Smile. RB

p.s. It would aid in getting my Street Rail up to 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.... Hummmm, I think that is cool for a single carbed 2110, lol....
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifters-height for bug? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
aberg83 wrote:

That’s the exact one I am considering but in black. Did you get the Porsche bushing also? It says it reduces noise and vibration?

I bought a replacement bushing but when I looked at mine, it looked fine so I left it in. I don't notice any noise or vibration with it. The initial adjustment was pretty easy too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: