Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 Hydraulic Lifters
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Subaru 2.2 Hydraulic Lifters Reply with quote

1991 Vanagon with a circa 1990 2.2 Subaru conversion.

I had the heads off because of a compression leak into the cooling system and took the heads in to have them resurfaced. I noticed on getting the heads back several of the rockers were very loose. On initial start up the lifters were very noisy and the engine had little power, but over time most of the lifters pumped up, but at least one lifter has not and is still bad enough to cause a rough idle and poor power.

Just wondering what I should be looking for? Are intake and exhaust lifters interchangeable or are they different lengths?

Don't have much experience with this engine, only ran it a couple of thousand miles before it started spewing coolant. Ran fine otherwise.

All thoughts welcome.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 Hydraulic Lifters Reply with quote

Chris at Metric Motors in Ogden suggested that I run solid lifters in my Subaru Engines. He said that at the high RPMs that I run with stock gearing, the solid lifters will perform better.

My last EJ22 had them and now the EJ25 Hybrid has solid lifters. They never gave me an issue, ever.

Just FYI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 Hydraulic Lifters Reply with quote

Those "lifters" are hydraulic lash adjusters. All 16 are the same for both intake and exhaust. You can pop them out, then clean them with brake clean or a solvent, and using a small pick,bleed the air out:
submerge the HLA's in new clean oil, like fully submerge them, with the pick, you bleed the air out by pushing the lash adjuster in while the pick holds open the air port, After a few pumps, the should get rock hard. It is a good idea to do this like every 30k miles. the HLA's will get gummed up with old oil.

Web search will reveal a lot of info on the subject for the EJ22 with HLA's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621866&highlight=lifter++tick

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: