Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Hooking up the new level kit for the heater box on my 1973 standard.

You'll see the triangular push clip on the center post/arm, but nothing came in the kits for the top post/arm.

Is that supposed to be "free" like this? Or should I buy a snap washer or something to keep in place?

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Yup, that's the way it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Interesting raydog.... I always wonder about what did the engineers have in mind when they designed this.... oh well.... thanks
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Should be fine like that, but mine have a (afaik original) retainer clip on them

This manual page shows it as well -

Again though, as long as everything is working right and not bent it should be fine without it.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

huh... interesting... i actually was going to put one on as a "just in case"... I have a box of varied clips, but nothing that fits...
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

That's odd, I have a half dozen O.E. heat exchangers and none of them have that retainer. If you really want to put something there, you could always use a sheet metal speed nut that will fit firmly on the pivot shaft. Maybe it was a design change at some point.

https://www.amazon.com/Flat-Sheet-Metal-Screw-Speed/dp/B00FSY05YO

For illustration only, I did NOT check the size.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Thanks both !!!!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

I usually drill a small hole, put a washer on and then a small cotter pin.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Another good idea..... I need to head to hardware store for something else. If I don't find a clip or washer, I might just drill and cotter. Thanks !!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Another good idea..... I need to head to hardware store for something else. If I don't find a clip or washer, I might just drill and cotter. Thanks !!

At the hardware store (like Ace, True Value) ask someone with gray hair for pushnuts /push nuts. Like in this picture. Cheap and easy, easier than drilling and using washer and cotter pin (which will also work).

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

I am going to change my opinion on those. I pulled up OACDP, and it shows the retainers, with a part number, installed on engines 3 949 223 - 7 336 420. So they were used at some point.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box lever - what am I missing? (photos) Reply with quote

Mine don’t have a clip there, and I’ve had no issues at all. That post is quite long. I can’t imagine how the arm would slip off the end of it.

I do grease the slot and the post, however.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: