Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

My first time using a stock air-cleaner. And I have a couple of questions.

Rob and Dave's air-cooled site offer some great instruction. But I am confused on what is said and what the photo shows. My eyes are getting older.

On the link, they show in the 2nd photo down a couple of things:
http://www.vw-resource.com/air_cleaner.html#vacuum

First, breather hose to the oil filler pipe to the air cleaner. It appears in their photo to be attaching to the "hole" on the right facing it from the side and is bigger. In my attached photo, I show what is a matching hole size to the one on the left. Which is it?

Secondly, their pic shows the vacuum line attaching to a port hole in the intake manifold. But mine does not have one. The only "hole" is on the end (I show it with a rubber cap off). If I don't have one in the spot Rob and Dave show, do I use the one I have or not use at all?

Thank you,
Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

The hose for air cleaner is going charcoal canister, usually that hose is rotten in capped mine off. Vent for crankcase next to oil fill goes to air cleaner too. Get one for 74 it will fit. The center section of intake manifold is aftermarket and not drilled for fitting. You could drill and tap.

Edit 74 won’t fit you are used no earlier oil fill, longer hose will work there.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

The crankcase vent hose for 73 1/2-74 US Beetles connects to the larger forward fitting on the air cleaner housing (ACL). Hard to see in your photo but it's the one to the right of your finger.
You can't find a place to connect on your engine because you have the wrong oil filler/PCV vent housing. The correct one has a larger fitting that matches the size of the one on the ACL. The correct housing does not have a road draft tube at all. Can't find a picture but there is one in the classifieds...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2017633
VW used a short 90 degree molded hose for the connection. There is one now in the classifieds or search for PN 113-129-651...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2233071
You can vaguely see how it looks connected up from this photo found in the Engine Guide...

Also seen in photo and as Zundfolge1432 says, the smaller fitting on your ACL connects to one side of the carbon canister under R/R fender.

As for your air cleaner pre-heat (TAC), yes it's vacuum source hose should connect to a fitting on manifold just below carb, but you could simply connect it to the left manifold casting and it will work just the same. Manifold vacuum is manifold vacuum.
Keep in mind it's never going to "look" stock and you will have to come up with safe and secure house routing.

On the subject of your TAC, do you know if the thermostatic vacuum valve (TVV), the one top/center of upper half in the ACL, is any good? It should be open to vac flow under a certain temp and close off above a certain temp (you will have to research the specs).
If that's good, do you know if the thermostatic vacuum servo on the hot air intake is any good? When drawn upon it should hold a vacuum and when activated operate a flap in the ACL that opens to allow warm air to enter the intake air stream.
If either or both of these items are non-operable all you're doing is connecting hoses for litte reason.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

Bruce... you have given me a lot to take in. Thank you !!!!

I am heading to help someone out... when I return (or tomorrow) I will revisit your well thought out questions and help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

the fitting the carb you have the black cap on should be the manifold vacuum connection for a dvda distributor ....you can hook the air cleaner hose there...oops just saw the pic of the end casting...you can hook it up there too...also make sure the diaphram in the snorkel is ok or you'll be hooking up a vacuum leak...if you dont want to source another oil filler just hook the hose on your existing breather to the smaller nipple on the air filter and cap off the big one...the larger hose was necessary when they eliminated the road draft tube for emissions reasons....it may not be ''correct'' but it will work just fine
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...1e#8933718

Some more info on this subject in my thread. A picture of the thermostat with part number as well in the following pages.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:

Pardon the interruption but can someone enlighten me what the space needle looking thing is back there by the carb throttle arm in this photo?
Saw it on another carb advertised in the classifieds here and was wondering. Thx

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

It's call a dashpot. It part of the emissions controls found on '73 and '74 models.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:

On the subject of your TAC, do you know if the thermostatic vacuum valve (TVV), the one top/center of upper half in the ACL, is any good? It should be open to vac flow under a certain temp and close off above a certain temp (you will have to research the specs).
If that's good, do you know if the thermostatic vacuum servo on the hot air intake is any good? When drawn upon it should hold a vacuum and when activated operate a flap in the ACL that opens to allow warm air to enter the intake air stream.
If either or both of these items are non-operable all you're doing is connecting hoses for litte reason.

Bruce- with regards to your question on whether or not my TVV works, I do not know. My engine is still out of the car (just wrapping up my rebuild). Last night I was completely cleaning the air cleaner, and while I am not 100% what a TTV really is, I do think I know. Looks to have a "wire" coming down into the air cleaner from a "rounded" looking cap on top... I started taking it all apart to clean, but there is a series of tabs on both sides and when a couple started breaking, I decided to suspend. Old plastic cracking I suppose. I could take it all apart and if the tabs all break, I could glue or wire tie I guess.

I will need to read some posts on how to test. Tim Donohue had a post I searched on and found. Lots of reading there to do.

Thanks
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

Bruce- with regards to your question on whether or not my TVV works, I do not know. My engine is still out of the car (just wrapping up my rebuild). Last night I was completely cleaning the air cleaner, and while I am not 100% what a TTV really is, I do think I know. Looks to have a "wire" coming down into the air cleaner from a "rounded" looking cap on top... I started taking it all apart to clean, but there is a series of tabs on both sides and when a couple started breaking, I decided to suspend. Old plastic cracking I suppose. I could take it all apart and if the tabs all break, I could glue or wire tie I guess.

I will need to read some posts on how to test. Tim Donohue had a post I searched on and found. Lots of reading there to do.

Thanks

Not sure where you're seeing any wiring as it's strictly a mechanical "switch".
The TVV is the part lower/center of ACL with two vacuum hoses going to it.

Left side is vacuum source connection.
Right is vacuum servo connection.

So, when the engine is cold, vacuum should flow through the switch and activate the flap in the TAC allowing hot air to enter intake.
Once warmed, the switch should close and block vacuum to the servo.

You test them cold/room temp with a hand held vacuum pump connected to left side and a vacuum gauge connected to right side. With vacuum applied the gauge should show and hold same vacuum reading as pump. When warmed (don't know exact spec) it should close and not allow vacuum to pass through.

Without a pump or gauge you can only get a rough idea if it works or not.
Connect one vac hose to left and one to right.
Suck on one hose while holding your finger over the end of other hose.
The vacuum should hold until you take your finger off.
When hot, you should feel no vacuum on right hose.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner question. Hose confusion (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. I need to revisit. Not sure what I saw. I will take a pic later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: