Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

So I bought a CB Magna Spark distributor and CSP Bell Crank linkage for my Dellorto carbs.
The carbs are mounted on Cb offset manifolds and the left Bell Crank linkage rod contacts the distributor.

Is it a good idea to slightly bend the left Bell Crank rod to clear the distributor and then perform the finite linkage sync with the right carb linkage rod?

I really like the smoothness of the CSP Bell Crank linkage and want to run the CB Magna Spark ll distributor. But unless I can get the left rod to clear the distributor. I'm stuck with an 009 distributor. Crying or Very sad

Anyone have any experience with this setup?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

I have the exact same setup on one of my engines and the linkage rod does not contact the distributor.

do you have a photo of the manifolds? some manifolds are not as offset as others.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

Well I'm not gonna be able to get a good pic with the engine in the car.
This is the best I can do.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have heard that the low profile Cb manifolds might be a better setup. I really don't want to throw money at the engine these parts are being tested on. It's just a spare and a test bed for higher performance goodies for a high performance engine. Currently sitting on the engine stand.
If the parts fit the test bed. They will fit the bigger engine.

But the question was, Can I slightly bend the left rod to clear the distributor. And perform the finite linkage sync with the right rod?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

I will have the same setup as well. I think you are opening a can of worms up.
You already know the carbs have to be absolutely in sync and bending one or both linkages might be an issue-of course you might be able to adjust the heims on one side to compensate? Hmmmm....
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

Rust,

What I and others have done is to simply switch the carb ends so the pivot balls face forward. You may have to swap a washer around so that it clears the manifolds. This can have the added benefit of straightening out the rods as well.

Example pic of a different brand but the same idea.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

J-dub has got it! I’ll have to remember this if and when I ever get to drive mine.
It’s been 5 years and still sitting in the garage☹️
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

Damn my stupid unthinking brain. Fn brilliant idea there. Thank you for opening my eyes and mind.
Forgive me. I'm 60yo and not as sharp as I used to be. Sad
Thank you for the tip!
j-dub wrote:
Rust,

What I and others have done is to simply switch the carb ends so the pivot balls face forward. You may have to swap a washer around so that it clears the manifolds. This can have the added benefit of straightening out the rods as well.

Example pic of a different brand but the same idea.

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Magna Spark ll, CSP Bell Crank linkage conflict Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
J-dub has got it! I’ll have to remember this if and when I ever get to drive mine.
It’s been 5 years and still sitting in the garage☹️

I'll in the same boat with my bug still sitting in the garage. Sad Sad

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: