Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

This morning I received my new exhaust (ooooh - Shiny VS stainless ! Smile ) and was doing a trial fit while the engine is on the stand. All goes together very well, but when I fitted the rubber bellows, the bottom is only about 1 inch away from the muffler. Surely this is going to get a bit warm down there, and will eventually cause the rubber to deteriorate quite badly ?
So I thought maybe I could take a piece of light heatshield material and form up a small plate that would be held in place by the big clamps that hold the bellows on, and would then deflect a lot of the direct heat away from the rubber. In the 4th & 5th photos I show a mock up just using a piece of carboard.
I have used this heatshield material to insulate heat from exhausts before - it is a ceramic filler sandwiched between two 0.15mm aluminium steel sheets and is designed for use near turbochargers, catalytic converters, exhaust systems, manifolds & other hot spots and has a maximum temperature range 850 to 900 degrees Celsius, so it is up to the task.

Do these rubber bellows suffer from the exhaust heat ? Has anyone else got a a better solution to the issue ? Or is it all totally unnecessary ?

Thanks,
G

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

VW thought something was needed for the stock muffler:

It was a sandwich of sheet metal and what I hope was not asbestos plate.

The plate mounting you suggest may act as a reflector, but may also act as a heat sink and then conduct that heat to the lip of the seal where it is clamped. You might consider making the edge that you clamp shaped with fingers, rather than a continuous edge, to minimize the heat transfer.

Uglier, but probably more effective would be such a plate clamped to, and a slight distance away from, the muffler body.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Yes, good point about original muffler. And agree it might be better clamped to muffler than to bellows - with spacers, of course. Easier too as it can just be fitted while muffler is off car.
You would hardly be able to see it from underneath if it is only on the top side of the muffler, so not too ugly, especially if fabricated nicely with turned edges, which is real easy with this stuff. I have used it to make battery boxes for cars which have under hood batteries, and it can look really nice.
Good input, thanks.
Giles
Chupa7hingy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

While I am very new here, I have lurked for some time and my father-in-law who was a factory VW mechanic in his early years is helping with my Notch project. I got the same style muffler, and we found it's not just the bellow, but the actual tailpipe is too close to the rear skirt. We had to make spacers for the top tubes to tilt the whole muffler down to clear the skirt. Now we did put new trans mounts which likely raised the engine up a smidge, but the muffler needed to be massaged to fit and clear.

Hope this helps.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

I will watch out for it when I put the engine back in.
What year is your notch, Chupa7hingy ?
G
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

I have the same exhaust, I bought some of this for my heat exchangers off amazon,and I think I'll order some more to wrap the muffler as well https://www.designengineering.com/floor-tunnel-shield-ii-non-adhesive/
they also have this, it looks to be the same thing with a couple clamps https://www.designengineering.com/muffler-shield-kit/

it's a pretty solid layer of aluminum, as you can see I replaced the fiberglass that was on the short tubes, it was disintegrating after a few years in use on the car.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Yes, W1K1, that is very similar to the stuff we get down here. I have used in on various cars and it is very effective. However for best results you need a little bit of clearance between the hot surface and the shield, so air can pass through, so I am looking at ways to just put some kind of spacer in between so they are not quite touching. There isn't much room up to the bellows, and I don't want ithe heat shield touching them, I I can't get the recommended 1" clearance. Which is why I am still considering fixing the heatsheld to the bellows themselves so how - either with the existing long hose clamps, or some other way. I am aware of KTPhil's comment that the heat shield could transfer heat to the bellows if it is in direct contact with them at the strap.
Interesting puzzle !!
Another oddity with my car - Although lots of bits were falling apart, all the packing around my heater pipes was in perfect condition !! Go figure !!!
G
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

The VS exhaust looks nice and has a good tone to it - I was not able to get it to fit my car properly. I owned two Type 3s at the time and had two VS exhausts - one positive thing about them - they're made very consistently - neither fit correctly.

I felt like the tip was too short compared to a stock exhaust. The exhaust itself gets very hot - I would either wrap it in a fiberglass mat or something similar to what W1K1 uses on his heat exchangers (DEI makes a larger version specifically for wrapping mufflers).

Heat will definitely affect the lifespan of a rubber boot - the less heat, the longer that boot will survive.

I will be using something very similar on my current exhaust once it's all fitted/sorted and installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

When you say "wrap it in" fibreglass mat or similar, I am not sure I see the value. My (limited) understanding is that if you put the heat shield material (whether it is fibreglass or metal) in direct contact with the hot surface, in this case the muffler, all you will do is transfer the heat to the heat shield material because it is radiant heat. OK, it might be a couple of degrees lower than the muffler, but not much.
However, if you leave a slight air gap between the muffler and the heat shield so that air is able to pass through there, then the effect of the heat shield is dramatically increased.
On the manifold (or headers or whatever you call them on a normal car) it is slightly different as you are trying to keep the heat in the manifold. And anyway, there is a big school of thought that wrapping of exhausts causes premature rusting - But thats a different subject, especially since this muffler is stainless.
Also, wrapping the heater tubes is fine because, again you are trying to keep the heat inside the tube so it can keep your toes toasty !!
I am looking at leaving at least a little space between my heat shield and my muffler - Just trying to work out best way to do it !!
G
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

The CSP exhaust has a heat shield between the muffler and the rubber boot which is mounted off the muffler. Or that's what it looks like.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/python-exhaust-system-251-303-038-23835b.html

Perhaps something like that could be fabbed and attached to the VS muffler in some way...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
The CSP exhaust has a heat shield between the muffler and the rubber boot which is mounted off the muffler. Or that's what it looks like.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/python-exhaust-system-251-303-038-23835b.html

Perhaps something like that could be fabbed and attached to the VS muffler in some way...

^^^OMG^^^ that’s a gorgeous exhaust..! Shocked
Never saw that one.
Look at the mounting, equal length, and in large size as well.
Appears as stock at first glance too.
What’s not to love (besides the price of course Laughing )

Good way to make all of these guys with VST setups real quiet all of a sudden.
It’s like you farted in church..!
Who invited this guy!?!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Laughing Yes, that sure is a lovely exhaust ! Love your analogies, Clatter Always hated anyone who farted in church Laughing
$$$ make it a bit out of reach. Thats more than twice the price of the VS, before shipping and duty.
Heater pipe connections lead on to a separate post which I will title "How to connect heater pipes", which is my next issue.
In the meantime, I have a few ideas for my heat shield !! More later...........
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

Heat will definitely affect the lifespan of a rubber boot - the less heat, the longer that boot will survive.

Isn't that what they said about the original Over the Top set up? It was too close to the cooling bellows, or that it would melt it? I haven't heard of any melted cooling boots yet from using either exhaust set up.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

I did have a plate with tabs on top of my OTT , I can't weld stainless, so it didn't happen on the VS

the CSP stuff is always nice, if you can justify the cost, its always a jump above everyone else

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I did have a plate with tabs on top of my OTT , I can't weld stainless, so it didn't happen on the VS

the CSP stuff is always nice, if you can justify the cost, its always a jump above everyone else

Might be worth checking into a fab shop and have them weld on some tabs for a heat shield. Wink
Other than the possibility of rust, you can weld steel to stainless. No issues with it that I've ever had (other than rust).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Isn't that what they said about the original Over the Top set up? It was too close to the cooling bellows, or that it would melt it? I haven't heard of any melted cooling boots yet from using either exhaust set up.

I didn't buy into the OTT exhaust - it just looked clunky and they didn't last very long - even when ceramic coated. I went from bone stock to VS (for a couple of reasons) to the CSP Python - which will be the final exhaust for this car.

The main reason I went to the Vintage Speed, in addition to being stainless, was the hope that I'd be able to keep the stock heat exchangers and pre-heaters - after several months of trying to get them to make a version of the VS that'd work with the preheat boxes, I gave up. Somewhere in this forum there's a thread where I mentioned working directly with Ming Tang Lee at VS for several months to a year or more to get that exhaust made. I liked the compact size and the sound was decent. A simple exhaust that wouldn't rust in 2 years...but one of the main benefits never materialized and the goals for my car changed during that time.

I bought the CSP Python because I wanted a tuned equal length exhaust for my new engine. It's very expensive for what it does but because it's stainless - I won't ever buy another exhaust for this car. The Python has a great sound to it and it was super easy to install...and the best part is that the exhaust fits! The heat shield they include (on my car, anyway) requires minor modification - no way of knowing if that is because of a design issue or something happened to my car that throws the geometry out of whack.

This is it put together before I installed it in my car - I wanted to make sure I knew what it'd look like when it was put together correctly.

Initial photo of the fit:

The rear apron on my car is mangled - it wasn't done to fit the Python.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
When you say "wrap it in" fibreglass mat or similar, I am not sure I see the value. My (limited) understanding is that if you put the heat shield material (whether it is fibreglass or metal) in direct contact with the hot surface, in this case the muffler, all you will do is transfer the heat to the heat shield material because it is radiant heat. OK, it might be a couple of degrees lower than the muffler, but not much.
However, if you leave a slight air gap between the muffler and the heat shield so that air is able to pass through there, then the effect of the heat shield is dramatically increased.
On the manifold (or headers or whatever you call them on a normal car) it is slightly different as you are trying to keep the heat in the manifold. And anyway, there is a big school of thought that wrapping of exhausts causes premature rusting - But thats a different subject, especially since this muffler is stainless.
Also, wrapping the heater tubes is fine because, again you are trying to keep the heat inside the tube so it can keep your toes toasty !!
I am looking at leaving at least a little space between my heat shield and my muffler - Just trying to work out best way to do it !!
G

I don't know a whole lot about this topic but I do know what's worked for me in the past...so here we go:

Heat Barrier: The heat barrier is meant to slow the transmission of radiant heat. They're typically thick fiberglass or silica fiber mats (6-12mm thick) and work best when they have at least a 12mm gap between what is wrapped and the other thing you don't want to get hot. Using an aluminum shield between two objects is a heat barrier - often mounted via tabs to one of the two objects. Thermal transfer via those mounts is minimal when compared to the radiant heat that necessitates their use. The stock exhaust used this and the CSP Python has one of these.

Heat Insulator: Wrapping a muffler, for example, is a way to apply a heat insulator - meant to keep the heat inside of whatever its applied to. Fiberglass is a poor conductor of heat which is why it's used as a wrap - it's a heat insulator when applied directly to header pipes or a muffler. Motorcycles, racing go karts, etc. use fiberglass wrap (or an equivalent) to prevent burns and force the heat out of the exhaust pipe vs. radiant cooling. Some will say that's a bad thing but I've not seen where a properly wrapped exhaust has caused significant issues with performance or increased maintenance - that's not to say that I'm right about all variables because I've only got limited DIRECT experience with it. That direct experience is why I plan to do it again - because it worked. Getting more hot air away from the engine bay of an air-cooled car is a good thing in my book...especially if it can be done without cooking rubber parts in the process. The VS exhaust has minimal heat insulation on the two short pipes.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I haven't heard of any melted cooling boots yet from using either exhaust set up.

This is the real key point of this discussion that Bobnotch makes - Has anyone every heard of a melted cooling boot using a VS (or any other) exhaust ? If not, then there is little point in fitting a heat shield. While it may make the rubber bellows last a bit longer, replacement units are available, so it is not impossible to replace them.
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I haven't heard of any melted cooling boots yet from using either exhaust set up.

This is the real key point of this discussion that Bobnotch makes - Has anyone every heard of a melted cooling boot using a VS (or any other) exhaust ? If not, then there is little point in fitting a heat shield. While it may make the rubber bellows last a bit longer, replacement units are available, so it is not impossible to replace them.
G

When the OTT (Over The Top) set up first came out, it got the nick name of bellows burner, but we haven't heard anything about them burning any bellows boots in the 10 to 15 years they've been around. Not from the original Kymco version, all the way thru the ISP West version.
I can see why VW added a heat shield to their muffler, as it was an equal length tube design that the ends ended inside the can, and held a lot of heat. I know Russ had pics of the stock muffler cut open (quite a few of us have seen it), showing the inside of it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust very close to rubber bellows ? Reply with quote

I found the photos in another thread, so here you go:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: