Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

I have a couple 40hp engines I am doing for vehicles. I want to retain that 100% stock 40hp look but would like to add some extra power if possible as one of these will be in a bus.

In particular, the one is a stock stale air 61 block. I have rebuilt stock heads with short stud kit, case line bored. I have a couple sets of MAHLE big bore 83s from early 2000s as well as a couple sets of stock 77mm p/cs. I have some nice NOS 64mm and NOS 69mm stock cranks on hand. I had planned on just doing the big bore 83s with stock engine but speaking with someone online he mentioned doing a stroker utilizing a stock 69mm crank from 1600 and then adding 5mm spacers under the cylinders. He also said to use the stock 40hp rods and have the narrowed to fit the 69mm crank. I was curious about intake and exhaust width with this or any other issues.

The above info was in brief passing and not many details told. I was wondering if anyone on here has done this mod and if it worked well or not. If there was any issues, tips, tricks etc to watch out for.

Thank you
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
I have a couple 40hp engines I am doing for vehicles. I want to retain that 100% stock 40hp look but would like to add some extra power if possible as one of these will be in a bus.

In particular, the one is a stock stale air 61 block. I have rebuilt stock heads with short stud kit, case line bored. I have a couple sets of MAHLE big bore 83s from early 2000s as well as a couple sets of stock 77mm p/cs. I have some nice NOS 64mm and NOS 69mm stock cranks on hand. I had planned on just doing the big bore 83s with stock engine but speaking with someone online he mentioned doing a stroker utilizing a stock 69mm crank from 1600 and then adding 5mm spacers under the cylinders. He also said to use the stock 40hp rods and have the narrowed to fit the 69mm crank. I was curious about intake and exhaust width with this or any other issues.

The above info was in brief passing and not many details told. I was wondering if anyone on here has done this mod and if it worked well or not. If there was any issues, tips, tricks etc to watch out for.

Thank you

If you go with the 69 crank and 40hp rods yes your engine will be wider so your stock 40hp manifold won't fit like you said you were gonna add 5mm spacers on each side so you will have 10mm wider engine so your stock manifold won't fit you would have to widen it ...thats why guys go with dual 28 pci carbs easy less hassle and you get more power if you want a stock looking engine just buy a 1600cc and use a 6 volt generator /stand and use all the other 40hp accessories to make it look like a 40hp ...dual carbs are best but that's my style and what most guys would do ...
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

A 1600 looks NOTHING like a stale air 40hp (unless you drive a FORD).

This is a high dollar show vehicle, if the engine is not going to be 100% correct on the outside, it is definitely a no-go! We are just trying to give her a little more internal (hidden) power since this is a bus. Dual carbs, 1600s are NOT and option.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
A 1600 looks NOTHING like a stale air 40hp (unless you drive a FORD).

This is a high dollar show vehicle, if the engine is not going to be 100% correct on the outside, it is definitely a no-go! We are just trying to give her a little more internal (hidden) power since this is a bus. Dual carbs, 1600s are NOT and option.

Like I said manifold aint going to fit all the tins aint going to fit as well tins will need to be widen as well so that will need modifications as well....if it's a high dollar bus like you say than build it back to stock and keep it stock that's the real money ...why mess with it than ....
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

You only need a .100" (2.5mm) spacer under the cylinders to use a 1500/1600cc crankshaft in a 40hp engine.
Bill Fisher covered this in his book "How to Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines"
It starts on page 83 in the book.
I have done it many years ago.
Yes you have to tweak the intake manifold some as engine with gains 5mm.
It can be done and will look stock from the outside.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

I built a stroker 40 for my ghia. I cut my own spacers @.100 out of aluminum and narrowed my stock rods. The stock intake fits if you spread it just a tiny bit../ they bend easier than one might think. A stock exhaust might be harder... I’m not sure... I used an aftermarket exhaust, I had to do a slice on 2/4 pipes and reweld... also running j pipes. All the stock tins still fit ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I built a stroker 40 for my ghia. I cut my own spacers @.100 out of aluminum and narrowed my stock rods. The stock intake fits if you spread it just a tiny bit../ they bend easier than one might think. A stock exhaust might be harder... I’m not sure... I used an aftermarket exhaust, I had to do a slice on 2/4 pipes and reweld... also running j pipes. All the stock tins still fit ok.

Thanks for the good info, I was told the tins, intake and even exhaust will still work with a little tweaking and still look 100% stock.

I did contact RIMCO who I was told used to do the barrel spacers and machine the rods. RIMCO said they would do the spacers but NOT the rods and said they don't think they ever have. Do you have a good source of a shop to do the rods? I see you are in Michigan fairly close by me.

Thanks T
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

I think any decent machine shop can do the rods... I believe you just have to cut .020 off each side on the big end. I’m not a machinist by trade, but I borrowed the tool room at a place I used to work and would work on the rods a little at a time. I used a surface grinder to do them.... but in hind sight it would be better to use a lathe.
Also, I forgot to mention that you may also have to do just a small amount of clearancing on the piston skirts...depending on piston brand. On mine I had to radius the corners off the skirts.... very small amount... I also used a counterweight crank. The skirt would contact the inside of the case spigot/register on BDC of number 3. Check clearance on all of them just to make sure. Usually you have to make the changes to all the pistons to keep the weight identical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

i've used for long a such engine, 69mm crank, rods narrowed and modified for 22mm pins, 86mm vw pistons with shaved top. due to shaved pistons and flycut heads the lenght was stock. very drivable and a very good torquey engine for my 69 bay. later i changed it for a nice 1600 SP with torque cam but it is not really better. less grunt in low rpm
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

Thanks, yup i have dealt with the Mahle big bore skirt thing many times..got that.

RIMCO/FAT Performance is or was one of the best machine shops for VW out there and said they won't do the rods...weird?! If anybody knows of a shop they have had do this and trust please let me know. I would rather ship my rods to a machine shop who has done this then a generic local machine shop. I have had HORRIBLE luck with the later and VW parts. They either ruin them or lose the parts...LOL

Peppe some good interesting info there! If I did not have several sets of NOS 83 Mahle big bore kits here sounds like something I might try!
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

pretty common here, i do sometimes also 90.5mm cylinders. i have special fixtures for shortening the barrels with no distortion.

some times ago I had done some rods for 40hp, with offset and 22m pins because some friends worried about the rod weakening, also if i had no problems.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

I just noticed pretty much all sorts of good info on this topic in the old "How to Hot Rod Volkswagens" book. I have read that book several times but guess I glossed over that section. Great info there as well.

I am still looking for a reliably, trust able machine shop to narrow the big ends on some 40HP rods though if anybody knows any.

Pepe do you make or would you be able to machine a set for me? stock 40 rods with narrowed big ends for 69 crank?

Thanks!
Tristan
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:

RIMCO/FAT Performance is or was one of the best machine shops for VW out there and said they won't do the rods...weird?! If anybody knows of a shop they have had do this and trust please let me know.

I picked up a set of NOS narrowed 40hp RIMCO rods on ebay for my build, so they must have done it at one time.

Check with Prescott Phillips. He mentioned he could narrow rods in one of the local WI groups I'm on. He built a Hot Rod Drag Week Bug, and wrote a book on how to rebuild VW engines. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16431
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

i believe it is unpractical ti send parts from italy to usa, expedition costs between usa and italy is increasing. years ago i spent for a set of vw rims about the same i spent recently for a filter pump.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

hi guys. I am new to 40hp motors builds . didn't vw make a 1500cc motor in the early 1960s .for the old buses. with the old 40hp heads on it ? I could be wrong spencerfvee
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

was it probably the very early 1500 for type3?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
was it probably the very early 1500 for type3?
………………………………………….you are very right it is the early type 3. well one could use the early type 3 crank and rods because the crank would use a 6 volt fly wheel and the rods look like 40 hp rods . maybe the early type 3 case .would look kind of like a 40 hp case lol it would be fun to try it . I got to check in the shop I think I have all the parts to do a 40hp 1600 cc build.. I saw on samba for sale NPR 92 cyl sets for a 40 hp motor about a year ago lol that's kind of going crazy I think
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

It΄s always fun to think outside the envelope, but in this case the only reasonable thing to do is to buy a 83 mm big bore kit and use with the stock 64 stroke and stock rods. Then everything fits and you get a little more oommph for the hills.

(I am in the middle of a 25 hp hot rod build for a ΄51 split, where everything has to look and for the most extend be period correct. It is a massive job, and is only interesting because the owner has patience, so I can do it in between other stuff.)
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

Talk to Brothers Machine about shortening the rods.

You could also deck the tops of the pistons if you didn't want to take so much material off the big end of the rods.

brad
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: stock 69mm crank as stroker in 40hp ? Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:

Check with Prescott Phillips. He mentioned he could narrow rods in one of the local WI groups I'm on. He built a Hot Rod Drag Week Bug, and wrote a book on how to rebuild VW engines

Just spoke with him and he said yeah he does em all the time! Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: