Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power steering flush T4
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

Just a quick observation that I changed the PS fluid on my T4 with two drain and fills of the reservoir.

I used pentosin CHF 11S, 1 liter total

Pump was noisy after a test drive, it took 8 lock to lock cycles to get the air out and go quiet
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

I have a wrong-part power steering pump for my 2.4D courtesy of the PO. To allow the fitting orientation to work, they rerouted the reservoir hose above the engine mount using heater hose! It was swollen, sweating and sucking air, so I got to change the fluid and the hose just a while ago with a real PS hose and Ravenol SSF.

Yup, it took a surprisingly long time to work all the air out of the system with shudders and noises. But now it is pretty quiet.

Abscate wrote:
Just a quick observation that I changed the PS fluid on my T4 with two drain and fills of the reservoir.

Pump was noisy after a test drive, it took 8 lock to lock cycles to get the air out and go quiet
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I'm planning this project for next week. I'm not having any problems, but the original fluid is dark and appears dirty -- would like to replace it.

My plan is to jack the front of Vanna so the wheels don't make contact w/the ground.
Use a small fluid extractor to pull old fluid from the reservoir and ~12-14 inches down the supply hose to the pump.
Fill the reservoir with fresh Pentosin CHF 115
Without running the engine, steer the rack left-to-right and back a few times to pump fresh fluid through the system
Pull fluid from the reservoir again and fill with fresh fluid.
Cycle the steering rack to introduce more fresh fluid into the system.

This approach will replace a lot of the old fluid with new, but not all of it. If I detach the reservoir return line, I could dump old fluid into a container and then reattach when only fresh fluid is emitted. That would be best. But not certain it's worth the add'l effort since I think the return line has a crimped fitting and removing it may introduce some add'l mess and hassle.

Any thoughts from those with more experience?
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

FWIW I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmzSB5axTCk
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

A quick tip I learned from my brother on getting air out. So while it is running take vacuum hose, attach it to a hand pump or extractor, put the end over the vent hole on the cap and pull the air out. Worked great when I changed out my pump.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

I'm inferring that Abscate and almond followed a similar approach and performed a drain and fill without dismantling the hoses and doing a full flush. From Almond's video, it looks like the drain and fill offers a lot of benefit -- cleaned-up and replaced most of the old fluid. And seems easier. I will follow that approach...
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering flush T4 Reply with quote

Well... That was easy! Fluid wasn't as bad as I thought -- it was brown but still had a sorta greenish tinge to it.

Followed the method described by Abscate and viewed in almond's video. To extract the old fluid I purchased a $10 fluid extractor online. Only went about 10-11 inches down the hose in the bottom of the reservoir but did the job.

Drained and filled 2-1/2 times with a full liter of fresh fluid. Everything looks forest green and clean in the reservoir now. Took ~30 minutes to do. For realz.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: