Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir Reply with quote

Has anyone had a problem with finding rust above the front windshield washer reservoir. I recently replaced the reservoir with a new one and found rust. Since my Westy is a Florida van I have almost no rust on it. How are others dealing with this. It is hard to access and I don't really want Ospho or the POR-15 metal prep dripping on me since they are acid. I have used Por-15 for a small amount of kitchen rust and some rust under the rear washer reservoir. I think these reservoirs cause rust. I was thinking of just spraying Corrosion X up there or Rustoleum Rust Converter after cleaning it up with a wire brush and Dremel. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir Reply with quote

Put 3M Mar-Hyde in a squirt bottle and go to town.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir Reply with quote

I want to say put some OSPHO in a spray bottle, but I'm going to have to check out that 3M Mar-Hyde!
It looks as if it is coming down from above the Steering Relay? What's going on above that?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks 4Gears4Tires and SteveM for responding. I am been checking out Mar-Hyde. I have never used that. Do you paint after using it. I appears no one in Miami carries it. Have to order it from Amazon. Does it work like rustoleum rust converter?
SteveM good catch regarding what is causing that rust. I am not sure if my previous Washer Reservoir caused it. The top gasket was shot, so I am installing a new reservoir and gasket. About 10 years ago I had a brake master cylinder leak and cause some rust on the drivers side floor. Now I am thinking that this might have also caused this rust. That brake fluid removes the paint. I did replace my reservoir tank with a used one back then but maybe I missed seeing this problem. It is dark up there. I did replace the brake master cylinder. How is using Ospho regarding safety, it looks pretty toxic? I have never used it. Also, do I need to cover the electrical wires up there prior to spraying? Will it destroy those wires. Thanks again for your responses.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Above Front Washer Reservoir Reply with quote

I've gotten Mar-Hyde splatter on my arms while painting it on underneath the van and it didnt bother me whatsoever to leave it there until I was ready to clean up. You can paint over it after 24 hours, but you certainly don't have to. I have only painted over it when it was on outside body panels so the colors match.

I had to order it from Amazon as well. Funny enough, I went to show my neighbor (a train repair supervisor at Metro) and he said, "you didn't know about that stuff? we use it EVERYWHERE on the trains." If I wasn't sold on it before, I was for sure sold on it then. It's only downside is that it is fairly pricey, but like POR15, a little bit goes a looong way. Make sure you do 2 coats spaced 30 minutes apart because as it reacts to the rust it contracts, leaving gaps. The second coating takes care of this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: