Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blue 1970 Squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Alright Team,

I was raised in a '72 Squareback. The first car I ever rode in. I cut my teeth on a beat down '72 Baja that I still own and love with all of her faults (at this point, any faults she has are mine from neglect or distraction.)

Yesterday I pulled of the best trade I have ever made. My buddy, as a joke it turns out, gave me a junkyard find Honda CT70 last year. This thing was rough. After a year of head scratching, tinkering, vaccuming out mouse poop, fix chewed wires, rebuilding carbs, replacing the ignition system, I got the thing running. I drove it once and realized it was more trouble than I wanted in my life.

I put it up on Craigslist to trade. I got pinged the next day by a guy that really wanted the bike and had a VW Squareback he wanted to get rid of. I couldn't get over there fast enough. He drove the bike and was ready to trade straight across.

I have $150 in parts in that bike. I said yes.

Tonight I took possession of a 2 owner 1970 Squareback. It looks like an original paint car that was parked in 1993. It has a carbed motor in it, and came with the "original" fuel injected motor on a pallet. It probably hasn't run in 25 years.

While cleaning it out tonight I found all kinds of remnants from daily life in the 90's, including a packet of seeds from the Audubon Society. My hunch is tha the PO had a kid driving this during school in the 90's and then parked it when said child left the nest and it just sat ever since.

It has the original sterao, great paint inside, and a currently trendy patina to it. There is some rust that needs attention on the fenders, a little on the passenger door fram, and some decent patches in the trunk.

I am psyche don this thing, it is one of the coolest trades I've ever made. I have a lot of projects in the works on other VW's at the moment but I am hoping to try to get the motor started and see if it is an easyish driver.

I am going to keep this thread as a build thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by donpedro on Sun May 10, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Cool. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Pics pics pics
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Nice and I bet its dry. Yep you have some work ahead of you. Like going thru every system on the car. The one Squareback i found was parked for ten years. Oh boy it was work but now not afraid to drive it anywhere.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Nice and I bet its dry. Yep you have some work ahead of you. Like going thru every system on the car. The one Squareback i found was parked for ten years. Oh boy it was work but now not afraid to drive it anywhere.

Yup, go thru Tram's thread on reviving a "parked" car, as it covers a lot of things that you might not notice. Unfortunately my search foo sucks, and I can't find the direct link for it. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Bobnotch, I just went through the long list of threads started by Tram, I couldn't find a revival thread either. However, I did see a post in a thread a few days ago that had a similar 27 step process he outlined for an FI Type 3. I think that might be what you're thinking of.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072

I need to start by getting an ignition key...
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Very useful information ...

Here's the topic : How to get your FI Type 3 running after it has been sitting.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072&highlight=parked
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

Here are some photos as I got it. Needs a good wash. Of course most of the body rubber is baked...

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

The dried up seal are original and only original once. If they don't leak leave em. Give it a good bath, rubbing compound, wax. It will look nice. Here is what mine looked like upon first seeing it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

shot.....SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

donpedro wrote:
Bobnotch, I just went through the long list of threads started by Tram, I couldn't find a revival thread either. However, I did see a post in a thread a few days ago that had a similar 27 step process he outlined for an FI Type 3. I think that might be what you're thinking of.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072

I need to start by getting an ignition key...

Yup, that's the thread I was thinking of, but not all of it is dedicated to FI.

And there's this link in that thread, which is a nice primer for maintenance.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklisten_18.php
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Won the Lottery Reply with quote

I got this far in my replacement of the Ignition lock cylinder.The PO did not have the ignition key. There is a door key, the door key kind of fits in the ignition half way, but will not turn. I am guessing that some point in the last 50 years someone replaced the door locks.

I did some searching and had trouble finding a step by step on the 1970 lock core. The closest I found required me to have the key to remove the cylinder.

I saw a few videos that got to this point and we’re able to just remove the cylinder from here.
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Some photos of the Interior:

[/img]
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Got the Ignition Cylinder out! I followed the instructions for the great thread For a 1971.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616570

Now off to the locksmith for a replacement key.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like you have a '70, not a '72. No D-pillar slots, maybe popouts... these cars changes over the years, so be sure of what you're got. What are the first 5-6 digits of the chassis number?
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil, you are correct, I have a 1970 Squareback and a '72 Baja. My parents had a '72 Squareback when I was a kid. Sorry if that was confusing, thanks for following up.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Ok, cool. Nothing like buying an expensive part and finding it isn't the right one! And FI parts, like most electrical parts, are not returnable to most vendors.

Good looking car, keep posting pics!

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon May 11, 2020 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Got some new keys! After pulling the ignition lock cylinder our local locksmith was able to make some new keys for $30 in half an hour. I was pretty stoked.
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I got the second motor tonight. I don’t know much about it except that it turns fine and I can feel compression as it hits the different cylinders. The spark plugs are in and the intake manifold looks like it’s on well. Seeems like they had something stuffed in the oil filler neck. It’s missing a distributor. The only openings are the exhaust flanges on the front of the motor. The boot on the intake is cracked but everything looks ok besides some surface rust.

Being new to fuel injected motors I am wondering what it is missing for a complete system. The car has a dual carb motor installed currently. Anyone see anything off the top of their head?

donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Well... turns out I’ll need this second motor sooner than I thought. I got the electric system all cleaned up and set it up to crank. I turned over the motor and got a big clunking noise. I moved around to the motor and it turns out the case is not fully tightened and the motor is stuck somewhere in its cycle and flexing the case open at the case split. So this motor will need a tear down now... time to figure out If the second one is a runner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: