Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blue 1970 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Yikes? Well, the second engine looks complete, though of course all rubber parts will have be replaced. Do you have the ability to crank the engine while out of the car to check compression?
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I can turn it over by hand and feel some compression throughout the rotation of the crank shaft. I am looking around for a test stand but I think it would be easy enough to put it in the car...

From the pictures can you see what I’m missing in the FI setup besides replacing the rubber?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

You will want to check and write down the part numbers for the ECU, MPS, and TVS at a minimum, to see if you have a properly matched set of FI components.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Did you get the FI harness too? If not, I'd try to resurrect the carbs for now.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Did you get the FI harness too? If not, I'd try to resurrect the carbs for now.

X2. The harness should be solid or it will drive you nuts with faults, especially intermittent ones. I'm an FI fan, but this is good advice.
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Yeah, it didn’t come with a harness. I think I’m going to pull the carb setup off of the current motor and move it over to the newer one.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

That will get it running if not well. But you can check for overheating, oil pressure, compression... before spending money on it.
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I got the carbs finished today, cleaned up, new gaskets, and reassembled. I pulled the heads to get them cleaned up and put the new gasket kit on the long block. I finally got the heads off and the motor is not turning by hand anymore... it was giving some resistance this morning and now it’s pretty well stuck within about a 30 degree window of rotation. I don’t know what could have happened with hand cranking the engine? I’ve got the heads off and the push rods out. Is there some chance that I broke the crank or cam? What would be limiting it once the heads are off? I wasn’t planning on cracking the case. It’s getting to be a much bigger project than I intended ( as is often the case.)

If anyone has any thoughts or tips I’m all ears. I wasn’t planning on a full rebuild.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Were you turning the motor over with no distributor?
If the drive was left in the hole while doing that,
You could have buggered up the brass timing gear on the crank.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Were you turning the motor over with no distributor?
If the drive was left in the hole while doing that,
You could have buggered up the brass timing gear on the crank.

That was my first thought too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I think that is exactly what happened... I talked with a local mechanic and he came to the same conclusion. Looks like a case split is in my future.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

donpedro wrote:
I think that is exactly what happened... I talked with a local mechanic and he came to the same conclusion. Looks like a case split is in my future.

I think I'd try and re-sink the drive back into place. You might be able to get close. After all at this point in time you want to hear it run, so you can determine it's health (any rod knocks). If you can find an old wooden clutch alignment tool, with a little sanding you can make it fit into the center hole of the drive (make it a press fit (tight)) as that will allow you to maneuver it where you want. You might be able to do this with a length of dowel rod too. They do make a specific tool for this job, but it's possible to fake it.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

UPDATE:
It’s been a while since I posted. I’m almost to the point where I can drive the Squareback. I pulled a motor from another Squareback that we are converting to an EV.

I’ve replaced all of the front suspension, brakes, fuel lines, and gotten the motor running. I bought some knock-off centerlines and and out new tires on them. The last things I need to do are replace the rear torsion bushings Nd figure out how to mount these wheels.

The center lines are a lot thicker than the stock wheels and take longer bolts. The wheels don’t have a recessed acorn style holes. Has anyone mounted these style wheels?

I’ll post pictures soon.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

https://www.ezaccessory.com/lug_nuts_s/18779.htm
has a good selection of wheel fasteners.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Turns out I have Mag style wheels that take a different fastener than the stock acorn style lugs. So I ordered a stud/lug nut kit and should be in good shape!
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I got the wheels installed and it looks great! Now bleeding the brakes. I ordered some calipers from CB, opted for the less expensive ones. They've got 2 bleeder bolts each which was confusing and I was having trouble getting the caliper to bleed. I went back with the vacuum pump and was able to get some brake fluid to come through so I think it will work once I get a friend to come pump the brakes for me again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

donpedro wrote:
I got the wheels installed and it looks great! Now bleeding the brakes. I ordered some calipers from CB, opted for the less expensive ones. They've got 2 bleeder bolts each which was confusing and I was having trouble getting the caliper to bleed. I went back with the vacuum pump and was able to get some brake fluid to come through so I think it will work once I get a friend to come pump the brakes for me again.

Just remember that 2 screw calipers use the upper screw for bleeding, and the lower screw for draining/changing the fluid.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Bob!!
donpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Bringing back the dead threads on the Samba tonight! I got the Blue Squareback "Lucille" running last year. Pulled a donor motor from my EV project so this one is cruising around. I put some centerlines on it with new tires, updated the suspension components and brakes and now it's a pretty dependable driver.

I hauled it down to Vegas a few weeks ago for the Let's Talk Dubs One Crazy Weekend and had a ball hanging out with the other Type 3 guys. Probably put about 130 miles on it without any trouble.

Next up: Rear hatch seal, trunk seal, rear torsion arm bushings, and a big tune up on the motor. Hopefully, some new interior pieces are in my future because the front seats are BAD.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: