Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original engine tin paint finish
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Original engine tin paint finish Reply with quote

Ive weeded thru a bunch of threads, but can't find an answer yet.

What was the stock engine tin paint finish? I'm guessing it was semi-gloss.
Is there a certain gloss percentage for original 1960 engine tin?

Thank you.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Original engine tin paint finish Reply with quote

Hi,
I do not know about different gloss. On my 1967 SO42 with all the original engine bits I was advised to powder coat. Glad I did! Holds up much better in an environment of oil and gas and looks wonderful! Used gloss black. Have pictures if you care to see.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Original engine tin paint finish Reply with quote

This thread has some information and comments:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570549
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Original engine tin paint finish Reply with quote

Dont know gloss percentage. Its semi gloss for sure. Maybe slighlty more glossy than a satin. Single stage paint... WAS not powder coated originally. I use some basic satin single stage urethane for engine tin... it looks very good to me and I'm all about that original factory fresh look.

Good properly cured single stage is heat and chemical proof. You can touch up paint... but you cannot touch up powder coat if it chips or scraches.

My dad had the tin for his 912 powder coated... he told me if he could do it over he would have just had it painted... but I think that's mainly because the gloss level didnt turn out exactly how he wanted also... I think powder coat is harder to fine tune the gloss level. It simply comes offered as flat, satin, semi gloss, or gloss. Where as paint can be customized and mixed more easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: