Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New iPhone SE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

But, but, but. it’s fun to cling to the past Very Happy I’d be willing to bet someone here still uses a rotary dial phone. Lights are too bright, horns are too loud, accessories on automobiles like cruise, tilt, power windows, all not needed, damn kids, get off my lawn. Comic relief here amongst the old timers😀 actually some of you guys are a treasure. Shhhhhhh Grampy fell asleep.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

Rotary phone user and film shooter here. Now let me tell you why I am right and you are wrong.
Laughing
But seriously, personal preference is all that matters. I sold high end professional digital photo and video equipment for 10 years. I have a bunch of digital cameras including a nice DSLR but I prefer to shoot film.
I enjoy the experience of composing through a nice clear optical viewfinder, judging the light and composition based on my skills and experience, and moving on to the next moment without checking what I just shot and worrying if it's good enough.
I prefer the workflow of film too.
It's less time consuming and more relaxing to go through 30 or so film frames vs hundreds or even thousands of digital images, most of them so similar that editing becomes a nightmare.
Working in film is cheaper too! Film cameras can be bought or got for next to nothing and film and processing is still relatively cheap. Film is already an archival medium so you don't need a huge investment in storage, and since your equipment is already obsolete there is no burning desire to always upgrade. As long as you have a good film scanner you're set!

I like my rotary phone because it was made in 1945 and still works flawlessly. It doesn't need batteries so I never miss a call and it's built like a tank so it won't end up in the landfill.
I have no need to be in constant contact with anyone, I don't need internet on the go (although my iPod does give me that) and I have no other real use for the features of a cell phone. Plans in Canada are very expensive so since a cell phone for me would be a luxury, not a necessity, I simply put my money to better uses.
I do have a Panasonic cordless phone for when I need the touchtone function but it's not as nice to use as the rotary.
So there you go; different strokes etc.

I also have a 30+ year old VW but I think that's for another forum.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
But, but, but. it’s fun to cling to the past Very Happy I’d be willing to bet someone here still uses a rotary dial phone. Lights are too bright, horns are too loud, accessories on automobiles like cruise, tilt, power windows, all not needed, damn kids, get off my lawn. Comic relief here amongst the old timers😀 actually some of you guys are a treasure. Shhhhhhh Grampy fell asleep.

Getting sick of modern power windows though, stupid plastic gears strip out and have to be replaced. On my wife's car, 3/4 window mechanisms have had to be fixed. Our old car broke a few times too.

Cameras...
Remember kids, the best camera is the one you have with you, regardless of pixel count or whatever.

And 90%* of good photos are the photographer, not the camera. Smile

* Percentage made up on the spot and may not be accurate
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

I have heard that film evidence is more reliable than digital photos in a court of law because they are harder to tamper with.

When shopping for a used vehicle I give high marks to the ones with less options because I tend to take my vehicles to the end of thier life. The more options the sooner that end comes. The only option that I am partial to is cruise control because we do a lot of long distance trips and I appreciate the reduced driver fatigue.

Yes I really like manual windows and door locks. The power ones are generally the first of the options to fail and they often start failing within in the first 3 years!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

I don’t know what kind of junk you buy but my 14 year old Japanese cars and trucks have all accessories working including the power windows😀
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Yes I really like manual windows and door locks. The power ones are generally the first of the options to fail and they often start failing within in the first 3 years!

True in the 1960s, not true now
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Cameras...
Remember kids, the best camera is the one you have with you, regardless of pixel count or whatever.

so true, and the other 10% are 'lucky shots' not the camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New iPhone SE Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Cameras...

so true, and the other 10% are 'lucky shots' not the camera.

I get $650 an hour to train eexecutives that if you don’t use round numbers when you make stuff up, it’s more plausible,

I’ve found this is true 83.7% of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: