Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning top flocking
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

What are you all using to lightly clean the pop top flocking? Diluted bleach with a soft cloth? Just a light case of the mildews.

Thanks,
Curt
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Back when I had my ‘77 & ‘79 westies I just wetted a rag with a bathroom cleaner that contained bleach and dabbed it on the flocking. I didn’t want to rub it on as I was concerned the flocking may come off. It killed the mould & mildew pretty much instantly.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Did mine last year with Zud cleaner. Put it on heavy and let it sit for a bit to work, and then scrubbed with soft bristle hand brush. Rinsed with hose. Of course mine was off and upside down on sawhorses. Careful with the rinsing if your doing it installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty sure it has bleach in it.
Will get a shot of the top finish when I pull Seamus out of garage

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Thank you both very much Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

I think there is a terminology breakdown happening here. Are we talking about the "fuzz" that undercoats the entire late Westy pop top? Or the "fringe" that were featured on mid-70s Westies?

Fringe:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8118439

Fuzz: The suaede-like coating of late pop-tops that prevents moisture from collecting on the roof at night.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Yes the fuzz....I think we are all on the same page? Did I get the terminology wrong? Thanks Robbie.

Curt
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
Did I get the terminology wrong?

Nope.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(texture)

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying.

I would avoid scrubbing this fuzzy flocking off. It prevents condensation from forming on the pop top and dripping on you in the middle of the night. Especially if there are multiple people sleeping inside.

Does that cleaning method keep the flocking in tact?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

That’s my big hesitation., but I think the right solution with a very light touch....I’ll post pics.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Diluted bleach, and dab it (no rubbing) with a microfiber cloth.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

Ive always used simple green myself.

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !

Last edited by ac78 on Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning top flocking Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

I would avoid scrubbing this fuzzy flocking off. It prevents condensation from forming on the pop top and dripping on you in the middle of the night. Especially if there are multiple people sleeping inside.

Does that cleaning method keep the flocking in tact?
Robbie

i scrubbed and hosed with no flock removal. it is discolored in spots, but that was due to the level of stain and mold that just didnt come backmto original

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: