Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Posh Mushroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a complete newbie but my googling couldn't turn anything up so I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death here already Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I was wondering if there's any way to put the older style, taller bumpers (with the top bars) onto a later era beetle or even a super beetle. I think they look much much better than the "bladey" late 60s/early 70s bumpers. On the other hand, I much prefer the price of a later beetle or super beetle to the price of an earlier bug on which those bumpers were standard.

Does anyone know of a kit/product or DIY way to put older bumpers on a newer beetle? Thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

They look goofy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

I am doing this on my Class-11 Style because I will be mounting LED KC lights to the towel bars and then raptor lining them black.
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

There's adapters to hold the bumper, like these

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=C31-707-

But I think you have to change the fenders as well.
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

I put them on my 74 beetle but I made the mounts myself to get them at the right height

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

I guess it's personal taste.. I like the original ones.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

It absolutely is personal taste
imo the early bumpers do look off on a Super, but on a Standard 's alright.
jitbba, nice job on the brackets!

My bug had cheapie, flimsy aftermarkets and I got a set of decent '67-ish bumpers for free.
Plopped 'em on with a set of conversion brackets -

I like 'em, but whatever floats your goat.
Bumpers are one of the easiest mods to swap back to original.
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

Looks a hundred times better!

I'm now considering doing the same to mine.
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

Putting the old bumpers makes it look like a 67 model .it does look better but to really complete the look it needs the older fenders.
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

RWilliamsga wrote:
Putting the old bumpers makes it look like a 67 model .it does look better but to really complete the look it needs the older fenders.

Late fenders have the bumper holes, whereas early cars had bumper mounts on the apron. Keep this in mind if the plan is using early fenders. You will definitely need the curved bracket adapters (posted in the link earlier) to make this work.
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
RWilliamsga wrote:

Late fenders have the bumper holes, whereas early cars had bumper mounts on the apron. Keep this in mind if the plan is using early fenders. You will definitely need the curved bracket adapters (posted in the link earlier) to make this work.

First off, it seems that you and I have similar taste in a lot of things. We have the exact same car, same paint color, AND my other ride is a Zildjian as well. 21 inch sweet ride, to be exact Wink

To the OP, great question. I have a '74 with cheap aftermarket bumpers as well. Constant upkeep is required to keep the rust at bay. Maybe some earlier style bumpers are in my future.....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

JSwindoll08 wrote:
To the OP, great question. I have a '74 with cheap aftermarket bumpers as well. Constant upkeep is required to keep the rust at bay. Maybe some earlier style bumpers are in my future.....

Early aftermarket bumpers will be no better than late model.

Aftermarket ones have crap chrome.

I had my OE bumpers rechromed back in 1998. I applied some POR15 paint to the backside so it doesn't rust.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

It can be done. On my 77 I was able to modify the the EMPI front brackets to work. The rear were full custom fabricated. I think it looks fine even with the huge taillights. The curved blade compliments the extra curves that the earlier fenders dont have.

[/img]
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
JSwindoll08 wrote:

Early aftermarket bumpers will be no better than late model.

Aftermarket ones have crap chrome.

I had my OE bumpers rechromed back in 1998. I applied some POR15 paint to the backside so it doesn't rust.

thanks for the info. Those look great even 22 years later!
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

I agree, chrome these days is terrible. Mine are stainless
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
I agree, chrome these days is terrible. Mine are stainless

I'd like to find some with no chrome lol Laughing ... I don't suppose raw steel are available are they?
Mine will be painted as the originals were plus I need to weld in the mounts for my indicators.
The Posh Mushroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:

I put them on my 74 beetle but I made the mounts myself to get them at the right height

Thanks you guys for responding - making these sorts of brackets looks like a fun project. Anyways, good to know that it's a pretty reversible mod too.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

cfvwtuner wrote:
It can be done. On my 77 I was able to modify the the EMPI front brackets to work. The rear were full custom fabricated. I think it looks fine even with the huge taillights. The curved blade compliments the extra curves that the earlier fenders dont have.

[/img]

I think this car looks outstanding. I've been throwing the idea of using these bumper on my '74 Super Beetle because they'd be lightweight, and I will use the car for autocross. I do like the look of the big bumpers, particularly when painted black. But they are HEAVY(I'm well aware they're heavy for a reason, but the car won't see a lot of road travel).

I would love to see the rear brackets that were made to install these bumpers, and the fender grommets.

H2OSB
eebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

That color looks great!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Old Style Bumpers on Later Bugs? Reply with quote

I’m not a fan of making something look different then what it is. That being said. Some of those late bugs look really nice with early style bumpers. Digging that blue 74. Also dig Glenn’s stock look too. To each is own as they say. Some people can make a facial beard look good. Some can’t.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: