Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pandemic parts supply chain broken?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Is anyone else having trouble obtaining parts from the big VW parts places ?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

i'm having issues getting parts direct from the dealer, so yea lot's of disruption going on

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tractoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Not so far.
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Ok if a dealer is backlogged I will cut this place some slack.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

nebe wrote:
Ok if a dealer is backlogged I will cut this place some slack.

backlogged? they are barely open...8am to 11am makes it pretty hard to get anything done. Volvo closed their Rutherford NJ distribution center.

Wolfsburg west closed, but I think they are opening back up on Monday. it's been an absolute fuxking nightmare here. local napa is phone in only, and they literally have you call when you're in the parking lot and throw the parts out the door.

my machine shop is about the same...meet you at the door and take your parts.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Normal ops up north. Walk in-walk out of flaps (Napa included) with stuff. Ups and Fed-ex dropping stuff off everyday. I can confirm that Busdepot is shipping quickly. It helps that theyre only in PA so New England shipments are here in a few days.

Not sure who your ordering from, but ive order quite a bit of body panels, engine parts, and various other bits and pieces ( building 3 busses currently) over the last few months and had almost no problems.

The body panels come out of Roanoake, VA (Key Parts), and they take a few days to a week

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Nope! no problems here! Local VW store is open. I am currently rebuilding The 002 for my 71 camper and have gotten every part I need mailorder from Weddel and Rancho All other FLAPS are open though social distance protocals are in effect. (so what.) I even ordered some parts from German Supply in Canada an Got every thing in a timely manor. The only bummer so far is Wolfsberg West is closed.

Otherwise nothing to bitch or post drama about. Very Happy
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Bus Depot has been quick shipping stuff..
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

We're shipping on time. The warehouse guys have been kicking butt, and some of the office personnel have been helping out to keep orders moving. They've been staging orders in the parking lot on nice days so everyone can keep a healthy distance.

That being said, I anticipate wholesale supply chain issues this summer, especially on European made parts. Much of Europe was hard-hit and many European suppliers have been shipping very slowly if at all. In some cases, shipments we'd normally expect in May are now being projected for July, and that could push back further. Existing U.S. inventory has acted as a buffer until now, but as that depletes (especially with increased summer demand) and there isn't more in the pipeline yet to replace it, there will definitely be shortages and wholesale cost increases. I just don't know how bad it will be yet. At this time all of my prices are still pre-pandemic and shortages have been minimal, meaning if there are things you planned to buy this summer, ordering sooner would probably be a smart move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We're shipping on time. The warehouse guys have been kicking butt, and some of the office personnel have been helping out to keep orders moving. They've been staging orders in the parking lot on nice days so everyone can keep a healthy distance.

That being said, I anticipate wholesale supply chain issues this summer, especially on European made parts. Much of Europe was hard-hit and many European suppliers have been shipping very slowly if at all. In some cases, shipments we'd normally expect in May are now being projected for July, and that could push back further. Existing U.S. inventory has acted as a buffer until now, but as that depletes (especially with increased summer demand) and there isn't more in the pipeline yet to replace it, there will definitely be shortages and wholesale cost increases. I just don't know how bad it will be yet. At this time all of my prices are still pre-pandemic and shortages have been minimal, meaning if there are things you planned to buy this summer, ordering sooner would probably be a smart move.

Hi Ron. Well, I have been waiting 2 weeks for 2 different orders. I think I fell through the cracks. I will call on Monday with some order numbers and see what’s up. Thanks for staying open!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Ron. Well, I have been waiting 2 weeks for 2 different orders. I think I fell through the cracks. I will call on Monday with some order numbers and see what’s up. Thanks for staying open!

That's very odd. Should not be the case. Please PM me your name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
I even ordered some parts from German Supply in Canada an Got every thing in a timely manor.

wow, you're a gambler then Laughing

CT's biggest issue was all the New York/Fairfield county assholes that didn't stay put. that put the fear of God into everyone and people lost their shit. even the napa warehouse in Middletown CT closed for a bit and the messed up a lot in the NE. my friend with a shop in Hyde Park VT got screwed by that.

I would say on average my lead time for parts has gone from same day/next day to next day, or 5-7 days depending. 95% of customers understand, the rest will never get it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

I can second that fear on slow shipping from Europe. And it extends to non-automotive items as well. We're pushed back several Months on certain things, and I hear from other business people that rely on getting things from Germany , that they're slow getting their items and things are on back order as well.

It's a cascading effect really. I needed some supplies to work on my house, and my usual supplier couldn't justify placing an order for a particular line of supplies since their regular commercial customers just aren't ordering right now. So they're holding back, the store isn't ordering inventory to stock bare shelves and I had to order Stain and Filler from amazon for the first time ever on items that I normally buy at the store that's less than 10 mins from me.
Amazon had both the Gel Stain and Wood Filler, from other suppliers, and they're on their way to me.

Nitrile Glove quality seems to really have dropped as well, supposedly the same MIL thickness, but the newest shipment of gloves tear or rip practically just being looked at... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

All of our Tool Truck guys are hanging on by a thread, weekly sales are non-existent, so they too aren't refilling stock on the trucks, and will only order for known, regular customers placing an order. So no 'spec' buys on a new tool that normally they'd take a chance on in hopes of selling a few dozen as a trial ballon at different shops.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

lives are being affected. Waiting on supplies is really the least of the worries. In some states the governors are acting more like Kings and Queens, and people are carrying assault rifles into Congress Houses. People are being arrested for making controversial decisions, and rapists and murderers are being set free to avoid them catching the flu. As a nation each person has borrowed a huge amount of money just to keep things from collapsing from the Pandemic. Political parties and countries are using the Pandemic as weapons. Having to wait a week for a part may be the least of concerns.

Jim Belushi in "About Last Night" - "Don't ever lose your sense of humor, Dan. Don't EVER lose your sense of humor."
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Yup, you think getting gaskets or a muffler is a pain, you should try to get your hands on medical supplies.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Yup, you think getting gaskets or a muffler is a pain, you should try to get your hands on medical supplies.

It is a weird time. I listed a NOS Kolbenschmidt (OEM for the VW factory) set of 2L cylinders and pistons for about 1/2 what they are worth just to get the office space back. Had two sets, one was bought (smart fellow who bought them) and this other one will probably go to the recycler or landfill along with boxes of other NOS parts. This time there won't be any freebies because I am tired of being hounded by professional loafers every time I go to dump something. (If 1/2 price isn't good enough screw it.) The situation is kinda like all the masks they are making now - three weeks ago everyone was saying it is the end of the world because there are no masks, and now every ad we see is "buy 10 masks and get 10 free." Think of the boxes and boxes of masks that will eventually end up sitting in warehouses, and then off to landfills. They can keep these pistons and liners company. And most likely when the nitrile glove shortage ends there will be cases of them collecting dust too. People are creating these shortages and who knows what will be next. When people in the VW community realize bay parts are going to get very scarce in the next few years they will hoard those too. How many times have we seen NOS parts go unobtanium while we were trying to order them. So if all one needs do is wait an extra week or two to get an order that is easy compared to NLA.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:

That's very odd. Should not be the case. Please PM me your name.

Just sent you a PM. Both orders shipped long ago, but Fedex says they could not deliver them due to "delivery restrictions" at your address. I sent you the details and tracking info. It appears they've been holding them at the Fedex facility so hopefully they can just redeliver once the alleged issue is cleared up.
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

Just for the record. The problem I have been having with Bus Depot was the fault of Fed-ex. Bus depot did in fact ship my order in a timely manner.

Fed ex can suck it. Evil or Very Mad
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

I ordered a small box of parts from both Airhead and Rock Auto 10 days ago. Both orders came promptly. A couple of items I wanted were out of stock from various suppliers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic parts supply chain broken? Reply with quote

nebe wrote:
Just for the record. The problem I have been having with Bus Depot was the fault of Fed-ex. Bus depot did in fact ship my order in a timely manner.

Fed ex can suck it. Evil or Very Mad

Pretty much can guarantee if I order something and FedEx is the carrier, they will screw it up. One out of 10 actually get here on time, the first time. I had one order last year that tracking said delivered but wasn't. I called them:

Me: Tracking shows my order delivered but it isn't here.
F###UpEx: Says it was left at front door.
Me: My front door is behind a 9' snowbank, they couldn't have left it at the front door and it definitely isn't at the back.
F###UpEx: It says front door.
Me: Again, it can't be at the front door, I've been home all day because I work from home. Your driver never came, I sit in front of the window that faces my driveway. UPS came. USPS came. F###UpEx did not. Your driver was here 2 days ago for a different shipment but didn't come today.
F###UpEx: It says front door, can you go check? Maybe you missed it.
Me: Grrrr. It's two Japanese futons, it should be a HUGE box. I didn't "miss" that box. <walks outside in January, -20F, to look for a package that cannot be at my front door unless delivered by sled dogs>
Me: Not there. Where's my stuff?
F###UpEx: It says it was left at the front door at 12 Main St in the town of Bethel.
Me: I don't live in Bethel, I live in Albany. We share the same ZIP but are two different towns 25 miles apart. I can see the invoice and your driver delivered to the wrong town and the wrong street as I live on MAINE street not MAIN street. WHERE IS MY STUFF?
F###UpEx: It is at 12 Main St in Bethel. We can have the driver check on Tuesday, we don't do residential deliveries on Sunday & Monday.
Me: That's three days from now and we are getting a snowstorm tomorrrow. So you mean that I have to depend on the goodwill of a stranger to not only not steal my stuff, but to bring inside a large box and store it for 3 days without knowing what the deal is?
F###UpEx: Thank you for calling FedEx.
Me: <words not family-friendly>

So I drove up to the next town to see if I could somehow get my stuff.

12 Main Street in Bethel is a parking lot.
A vacant parking lot.
Well, vacant save for one thing...
..wait for it...

A F###UpEx #$!@! dropbox.

I called back and blasted them. I got my package the next day. I guess they do deliver to residential customers if you raise enough hell...
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: