Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Hi folks.

"Affordable" $110 USD maximum?

Sachs/Boge
KYB
Bilstein HD

or ?

For 2WD what is the longest lasting most durable shock for paved road use with some dirt road driving? e.g. forest service roads.

i.e. I know the OE Boge are NLA but do Sachs/Boge last anywhere near as long as the OE Boge?

My relatively low mile Sachs shocks on my '81 with GW zero lift springs seem to be failing or failed. Granted, I did drive them on some dirt roads.

A friends '85 had KYB shocks (how old I don't know). I didn't find the ride too harsh.

I'm looking for affordable front/rear shocks that are durable and won't fail early if driven on some dirt roads.

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

When I was young, I installed Bilsteins on my Volvo 122S. It came alive. On my vw scirocco road race car, I ran Bilstein coilover racing shocks. When came time for our 82 camper, yellow Bilsteins all 4 corners. When I built my Syncro, black Bilsteins all around. I’ve never had one fail. Each vehicle that got them handling wise was a noticeable improvement.

I’ve removed plenty of failed KYB and Boge shocks. Based on my experience, I recommend Bilsteins. My current race car has Penske shocks. They don’t fit your budget.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

I’ve been perfectly happy with the OEM Spectrum shocks (made by Monroe) available at my FLAPS. Only been using for 2-3 years though so that’s not really a durability test, but very much in your price range.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/oe-spectrum-4...&pos=1
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Someone once said, “affordability, durability, performance - pick 2”. That’s the problem with these vans, you can so easily dump your life savings into upgrades. I totally get the dillema. That being said, I love love my Bilstein XHDs.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

I have KYB shocks. They have been on my van for a long time I don’t know if they are the best but they have worked for me. John
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

A couple years ago I replaced 10 yr old KYBs with the NAPA Gas Grande (Loogy recommend, and just over $100) shocks all the way around along with GOWesty's front bushing kit on my 84 Westy, with Carat springs. Man, what a difference, way better than the KYBs. KYBs are bouncy and I felt more body roll with them compared to the NAPA Gas Grande ones. I'm sure the bushing replacements made a world of difference though.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Bilstein B4s are good quality OE replacement.
If you dont want to haul an entire warehouse of sporting goods to your every trip then there is no need for anything fancy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

air adj shocks for the back are nice to have and surprisingly cheap. offered by gabriel. bought at autozone. and ld got gabriel f shocks. ride is nice. the two air shocks were like IDR $60? for the pair.../lifetime warranty too IIRC so you buy them just once...search for a synchro to find fitment

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

here they are $52 for a pair.

hauled a 600lb motorcycl eon a hitch tray for 3,000 miles and couldn't tell it was there. nice for leveling a camper too

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-...31896_7413

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

I also used the Gabriel HiJackers on the rear of my van. Had them installed 6 years now. Adjustability is great and no complaints on ride. You can get the optional kit to independently pressurize them which will take care of the Westy lean.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352053
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Thanks for different brand names I wasn't aware of and ideas. e.g. levelling my westy with adjustable shocks.

The front end is in good shape. I have T3 bushings at steering rack, sway bar, tranny mount, trailing arms But.... UCA bushings were squeaking and moving them by hand, is difficult. They are likely a factor in the bouncy ride over larger bumps.

My rear springs making more noise than usual (presumably between tail and trailing arm perch) when going over bumps, leads me to believe that the rear shocks are not working that well anymore.

The difference in road bump handling between this '81 vs my '88 with PS, is big. Both have had similar quality maintenance but the '88 has OE springs and red coloured newer likely OE type Boge rear shocks and black Sachs/Boge up front. But, that bus hasn't seen as many dirt road miles.

Basically, the main focus is to get some control back.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Note that there are two fairly different KYBs:

Gas-A-just- which arent really adjustable but are a firm, sporty handling type shock. These have been popular for decades but the johnny comelatelys seem to have soft arses. They claim GAs hurt their tushes and shake their lattes too much. Aircooled Colin even said it jarred him so bad he couldnt shoplift for days afterward. I blame Californication. Some claim GAs raise your bus slightly vs the worn shocks they removed but I dont know if that would be the case

GR2 or Excel G which are softer oil shocks for the elderly who dont like sporty rides. Perhaps sarcastic. They are comporable to all the other stockish oil filled shocks like Boge, Sachs etc (which I personally have never liked).

They were Japanese. Who knows today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Note that there are two fairly different KYBs:

Gas-A-just- ..... These have been popular for decades but the johnny comelatelys seem to have soft arses. They claim GAs hurt their tushes and shake their lattes too much.

LOL. Well, my primary concern was handling but now, gosh, what about my lattes? This has become a slippery slope of priorities! Wink

I can handle latte turbulence though.

Thanks for the heads up on KYB model differences.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
here they are $52 for a pair.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-...96_7413...

That is an excellent price.

I have had a pair of those in use for more than 10 years and they still function fine. I went with the suggested 'dual' set-up (separate valve & pressure for each shock) to be able to use them to level the van side-to-side.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

BIRD84WESTY wrote:
A couple years ago I replaced 10 yr old KYBs with the NAPA Gas Grande

I don't see a Gas Grande 'exact fit' for the Vanagon via Canadian NAPA but there's a NAPA not far from me so if there's a warranty issue, replacement might be easier than with another brand. Searching for warranty info also gets hits for Monroe. I wonder if they're made by Monroe?

edit: PN's supplied by Loogy don't get web hits anymore. He posted those in 2009 Wink

Here's a link to Loogys (Christopher Schimke) post re: NAPA shocks and a very nice write up about shocks. e.g. I thought "gas" shocks literally had only gas in them. Embarassed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...09#3884254

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I also used the Gabriel HiJackers on the rear of my van. Had them installed 6 years now. Adjustability is great and no complaints on ride. You can get the optional kit to independently pressurize them which will take care of the Westy lean.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352053

I'm on my second set on HiJackers in probably 18 years, so I have no complaints with them. Ride is fine and fully adjustable for different loading levels or pulling a trailer.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

After reading online, it seems there's two basic shock designs: "mono tube" and "twin tube". For a Westfalia driven at times on bumpy dirt roads maybe a mono tube design shock is better suited and will last longer?

This Sachs page shows their Mono vs twin design which may shed light:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/us/en/sachs/products/cars-and-vans/shock-absorbers-and-dampers/

I can't find the pages right now (maybe here ? )

http://tecapp-portal.tecalliance.net/apps/trw/index.html#/app/home/dashboard

but via a parts search, found pages showing Sachs Vanagon 2wd shocks as being twin tube design. I'm guessing that may the type in my '81 westy.

Monroe "find parts by" search for Vanagon Campmobile seems to only offer OEspectrum twin tube shocks but they do offer mono tube shocks in

OEspectrum

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/shocks-struts/oespectrum/

and Reflex

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/shocks-struts/reflex/

But, it's possible some Monroe mono tube shocks should not be used on the Vanagon.

But, it seems some Bilsteins, as used on a Vanagon, are mono tube design.

Just my .02 but from what I'm seeing, I'll likely install mono tube shocks.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

Koni is another option. Not sure what the current consensus is on them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151550
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

I'm running Koni adjustables on the front and Gabriel Highjackers on the rear, with Schwenk springs and lots of poly...sitting at 17.5" fender to wheel center. I haven't treated them nicely and everything is as good as day one, 5 years later.

Leveling based on load is an underrated feature. One day nothing, the next it's +500 lbs and being able to adjust ride height while maintaining ride quality is key. And for the price, you really can't go wrong with the Highjackers. Mine are setup with one valve, but I do like the idea of two for leveling.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Most Durable Affordable 2WD Westy Shocks? Front/Rear Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
GR2 or Excel G which are softer oil shocks for the elderly who dont like sporty rides.

Laughing

I have the KYB Excel G in the rear on my Syncro, it's rides fine. No complaints on the price either, $35ish. I'd buy them again. If I want a sporty ride I'll take another vehicle. A van is inherently not sporty, lol, especially not one as high as a Syncro.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: