Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

So I've been camping on the classifieds for a little while now and there isn't a whole lot to choose from anymore. Is there any other places I can check? I've signed up for all the type 3 facebook groups I can find.

I currently have a 58 Bug that I'm getting ready to sell and a 63 ghia that I'm parting with as well. My first VW was a squareback when I was just a young lad and I've had several squares, notches and a fastback over the years and I'm looking to get back into one. I just have a soft spot for the Type 3. The two cars I regret selling the most are my notches, so now I'm on the hunt for another one.

The last type 3 I had was sold in 2010 and it was a teak 66 square. There is a post on here somewhere about it.

So let me get to it. The notch I'm looking for has to be between 62 and 65. Believe it or not I'm partial to the S models because I am easily taken by the shiny bits. I also prefer the wrap around blinkers and some other stuff. So I guess my ideal car would be an early 64 S with the push button dash but all the other S goodies. I'm good with anything on either side of that. Just no four lug cars...

Can you guys help? I'd also be willing to trade my ghia to anyone that wants to do it that way. I's also prefer to source the car in the US if possible as I don't want to pay the shipping costs to get it here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My ghia

My 58.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Good luck. At least you're in the right area to possibly find one. Look on e-bay and Craig's list too, besides the Samba Classifieds. You might have a better chance of finding one.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

location in your profile would help...
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
location in your profile would help...

Not a huge fan of broadcasting where I am in the world. Side effect of my line of work I suppose. I'm between Texas and California at the moment. My cars are both currently stored in CA. I just moved back to TX after leaving here in 2014.

I'm thinking of going hunting with my friend in his plane. But before I start doing recon on that level I'm hoping I can find one first. I've had no luck on craigslist so far.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm thinking of going hunting with my friend in his plane. But before I start doing recon on that level I'm hoping I can find one first. I've had no luck on craigslist so far.

That is funny Laughing Even down there where its nice and dry the car you want will probably be inside a garage

I think you are already looking in the right places. It takes patience and just when you stop searching one will come up out of nowhere.

Good luck with the hunt!

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beisenho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

What is your price range?

There are definitely a number of options out there if you are persistent, and flexible. You gave a good idea of the year range, but the condition and price will also narrow down your search a lot.

I have no relationship to this one, but it may be something you have not seen (given it is not on Samba, I don't think):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-volkswagen-type-3-notchback-2/
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Depends on the car really. I'd love something original and would be willing to pay a decent amount for the right car. I learned an important lesson on that 58 above. You guy the best car you can and go from there. With that being said it has to be the right car. I have dreams of a Velvet green or Nutria car but have zero qualms about buying a red one and painting it. The chrome would just look so good on those colors. I do plan on building whatever I buy.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Sell your 2 VW's First & Then go buy best notch you can afford. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Finders fee? Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2318141
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Finders fee? Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2318141

Hahahaha. I see you searched high and low to locate a car for me. I am eyeballing that one, but I think the price is a bit high.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Well, I'm back actively looking. I sold all my other cars and I finally have my new house so I have a place to build again. So I'm actively on the hunt. I'm looking in the usual places just figured I'd bump this thread because you guys might have a line on something that hasn't been listed yet.

I'm back in TX for good now, but I don't mind shipping a car.

This time last year there were so many more available.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

So I found a car. I picked it up yesterday and dragged it home. The car is a bit of a basketcase. It is a Cal-look car, so that needs to be fixed, it was also converted to EV and then had all that stuff removed. So it's a bit of a project, it's also a super Cal Look color. The car was painted Electron Blue in 2008 and really has a 5 foot paint job on it.

The upside is the car has Gerson pans on it and the prior owner said he had any rust repaired in 2008 before it was painted. My plan for it is to rehab it back to a solid car. I'll be doing that with my son over the next year or so. Then once I get everything built out and sorted the way I want, I'll enjoy it for that summer, then blow it back apart and paint it. Plan is to paint it Velvet Green.

In any case here are the pics of it. Overall it doesn't seem like too bad of a base car to start with. No where near a stock car to start from, but anything I found in that condition was a rusty mess and metal work is expensive.

Rolled it out of the dark hole it was living in and loaded it onto the trailer.

Rinsed off the dirt to see the paint a little better. (Didn't Help) Then I tucked it into my one car garage because I'm still working on sealing the floors and building the workbenches in my other one.

That's a super Cal-Look interior if I've ever seen one. All of that is coming out and getting sold. Then I'm going to go from there. I feel like I'm going to become good a customer with Boo-koo-z

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Looks pretty straight, and solid and should be a good base to build upon. Just enough bits and pieces missing to allow you the fun of a search. That interior is definitely late 80's early 90's. Wink Have fun with your build. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looks pretty straight, and solid and should be a good base to build upon. Just enough bits and pieces missing to allow you the fun of a search. That interior is definitely late 80's early 90's. Wink Have fun with your build. Cool

Thank you sir, I appreciate it. I've been scouring the classifieds for parts already.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Nice find! What year is it?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a Notchback. Wondering if you guys can help? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Nice find! What year is it?

Max

It's a 64.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: