Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off-Centered Steering Wheel
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

As can be seen, my steering wheel is not oriented at 9:00 & 3:00. The bus goes straight down the road but I would like to get this corrected. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank You
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

If you look at the pointer on the steering box input shaft seal and discover it's centered move the steering wheel one spline, if the pointer matches the amount the steering wheel is off adjust the drag link.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Check the tie rods and make sure they aren’t way out too. Post pictures
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I replaced the tie rods two years ago with Colin. Here's how the steering wheel was oriented then:

The tie rods are seen here and seem to be in good order:

Once we replaced the tie rods, Colin worked under the bus at the steering box to straighten the wheel. I recall that he adjusted the steering box and aligned things with the boss on the steering box but I was working the wheel above so am not sure of the process.

I have studied the Bentley Bus Daddy, but am not sure how I move the steering wheel one spline. Do you mean to remove it off its shaft in the cab of the the car, or to work below at the steering box?

Thank you for your help - though I've had my bus for 4 years, I'm still learning.

Jeff

Last edited by Whaanga on Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Tie rods look fine. Get the steering gear nub centered , then if the wheel is still off, you pull the horn button, the large nut, and then reinstall the wheel straight.

You can leave the wheel alone and rotate the car to match the wheel, but that is harder. (Samba Humor)
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Quote:
Get the steering gear nub centered

Thanks Abscate - Please forgive me for asking, but what is the process for centering the gear nub? Is this done at the steering box?

Thanks

Last edited by Whaanga on Tue May 12, 2020 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Quote:
Once we replaced the tie rods, Colin worked under the bus at the steering box to straighten the wheel.

So what changed to make it crooked after Colin straightened it?
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Quote:

Nothing changed Steve. - It 'looked' stright in the driveway when Colin and I did the work. But once I drove it (after he left) it was better, but still did not clock at 9:00 and 6:00.

With the pandemic (and lots of lost work), I'm doing bus projects that are low or no cost, and this one is on my list.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Quote:

Nothing changed Steve. - It 'looked' stright in the driveway when Colin and I did the work. But once I drove it (after he left) it was better, but still did not clock at 9:00 and 6:00.

With the pandemic (and lots of lost work), I'm doing bus projects that are low or no cost, and this one is on my list.

How much work do you want to put into this? Willing to put it up on jack stands and disconnect the steering damper?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Bentley, Front Axle, 9.2… Figure 9-5 shows the steering box visual centering guide, with the dust carp pointed and nub on the box that indicates center. It's visible from under the bus, I think with one's head near the RF tire, looking forward with a good work light. Cleaning might be nice, or necessary down there. We need to know where the spokes are when the notch is aligned.

I think your '73 wheel will require a puller to remove, but you may be lucky and only have to rotate the drag link. That, too, requires a puller, but it's easier to find a good and inexpensive one. Wink

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I think your '73 wheel will require a puller to remove,

From the looks of that wheel someone has already gone at it with the wrong puller.

If you do have to remove the wheel pry the black horn button out of the silver ring, don't try to pry out the silver ring (it's part of the wheel).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

ALSO - everyone should know that the pointer on a late bay is only a rubber ring that slides on. It can point to anywhere it wants to. Maybe it was centered 40 years ago but that is no guarantee it is still aligned. I've seen them way off. The only way to make sure they still point to the right place is to find the high spot and count turns to each side.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

If you ever install gages under the dash, your steering wheel is clocked perfectly.

My wheel was at the 9&3 position, but decided to rotate it a few degrees so I can see the new gages while driving without having to lean forward...

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I think your '73 wheel will require a puller to remove...

I have made up a set of special washers to assist in removing that wheel (mine was a '74). Let me know if you need them. Don't just pull on the plastic of the steering wheel -- you'll bust it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Here's a tutorial with a lot of good input from other Samba folks if you decide you need to realign the wheel. Some folks prefer buying an expensive tool for this job, others do not.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310527&highlight=tutorial
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

P.S. I put new tie rods in recently. I used two adjustable versions rather than one fixed and one adjustable to make it easier to dial in.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Here's something. See the pictures above of the left and right side tie rods? Notice that one is adjustable and the other isn't? That's because VW was cheap. You can have both tie rods be adjustable and guess what? When you do then you can easily straighten your steering wheel.

1) Get the bus pointed straight
2) Front wheels on the ground
3) Loosen both sides of the tie rods
4) Turn one CW and the other CCW
5) Your steering wheel will start to turn
6) When it's straight then tighten the tie rods

This method is cheaper than beating the crap out of a nice, stock wheel.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

nothing matters if the steering box itself is not centered on the high spot when the wheels are straight ahead. The pointer Gemmer put on the boxes may no longer be in the correct position. It is only a rubber washer with a mark that slides on to the steering shaft.

1) Find the center of the steering box. This will require lifting the front end and disconnecting the steering damper. It is also a good time to adjust the steering lash and check the fluid level.

2) Adjust the steering wheel so that it is centered when the steering box is centered. This means remove and put back on. You want the steering box and steering wheel to both be centered at the same time.

3) Adjust drag link so that the bus tracks ahead when the steering is centered. Count the number of turns to each side from center to be sure that the suspension isn't whacked somehow. If the camber or toe is off, or the tires worn uneven, brakes pulling etc., the bus may not want to track straight ahead even when everything is properly aligned from the steering wheel to the drag link.

Anything from adjusting the toe, to changing the rubber puck can throw it off a little again. Adjust it with the drag link if it is in the suspension. Generally once the steering wheel and steering gear are both centered at the same time you will not need to mess with it again during the life of the bus.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue May 12, 2020 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Looks like Aeromech and I posted at the same time about the tie rods.

My bus has two adjustable tie rods (picture above), yours has only one (picture earlier in the thread). Changing out your fixed tie rod is another way to correct the situation as Aeromech suggests.

Steering box should be centered in all cases.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Centered Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Looks like Aeromech and I posted at the same time about the tie rods.

My bus has two adjustable tie rods (picture above), yours has only one (picture earlier in the thread). Changing out your fixed tie rod is another way to correct the situation as Aeromech suggests.

That is only a work around. And it is what the drag link is for. By adding two adjustable tie rods one is using them instead of the drag ling to adjust the steering gearbox to suspension. You still need to be sure the steering box is centered, and the lock to lock is even on both sides when the bus is headed straight ahead.

The steering gear box HAS to be centered when one is driving straight ahead for the steering to work right. Whether one uses the drag link or two tie rods to adjust the wheels to the steering gear box the end result is exactly the same.

To have safe steering, one should not adjust the toe to center the steering wheel. It MUST be adjusted to match the steering gear box if you want it aligned straight ahead when the gearbox is straight ahead. There is a reason that the gear box is made to be slightly tighter in the center then looser on either side of that. Most of the wear is when the box is straight ahead because that is where it spends most of its time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: