Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Almost 4 years ago I sold the Cal look yellow 70 for 7000.00. Stock motor, stock trans. Completely new interior, new paint, new brakes, new pans.

Bought the next 70 for 2200.00, a few months later.

In late 2019 In Father-in-law gave me an acquired 77 from a rental property, that someone vacated without. New front disc up front, new master cyl, new rear brakes, rebuilt the sunroof, installed a used air aux valve and a new temp 2. Sold it for 4000.00

Bought the 54 for $4000.00, a year later.

There are alot of asking between $2500 to $5500. I have learned, through the years, that one needs to spend some time, playing the buying game to get the best deal. Everytime I go out looking for another car, I start by looking at everything and offering what I believe is fair. Sometimes I get the car, sometimes I get asked to leave. No loss, no gain!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
The last time I saw a type 4 for sale local for $250, was over 20 years ago.

97% of people out there don't even know what it is and the remaining 3% that do don't want it.

Show up with a car trailer, promise me you won't butcher it and I will make you a deal you can't refuse. I have too many projects.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
The last time I saw a type 4 for sale local for $250, was over 20 years ago.

97% of people out there don't even know what it is and the remaining 3% that do don't want it.

Show up with a car trailer, promise me you won't butcher it and I will make you a deal you can't refuse. I have too many projects.

If I was local to you, I would give it a look.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m gonna put this to the test. I put up a 74 bug for sale today along with a 63. We will see if there is interest. Neither is priced high and I’ll make a package deal for both.

The 63 will sell quick for that price. It would be sold already, here in New England. Drool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m gonna put this to the test. I put up a 74 bug for sale today along with a 63. We will see if there is interest. Neither is priced high and I’ll make a package deal for both.

MAN that 63 is hard for me to look the other way on Speak to the hand
And I'm pretty sure Zunde's avatar is the yellow 74 doing 80+ with zero problem Cool
I have seen both these cars in person, and can attest to his knowledge of aircooled VW-- I wouldn't have any concerns purchasing either.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Popcorn

If you’re truly trying to sell it, ask a sane price.

For a true experiment, I would list it at 400% of what you think it’s worth. Everyone else seems to be doing that.

Never mind the experiment, $2K is a screaming deal for his '63. I'd wire the cash right now except I'm really not fond of red (plus I hate rust issues, even minor ones).
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Never mind the experiment, $2K is a screaming deal for his '63. I'd wire the cash right now except I'm really not fond of red (plus I hate rust issues, even minor ones).

Oklahoma “rust” is WAY different than Ohio “rust”. I would have jacked them up higher on a market place ad, but the $5500 is VERY reasonable, and the $2k is a steal. Any ads I’ve seen here are usually viewed by those that “know better” and aren’t going to pay 5 times market price. I guess this is an experiment, because if you can’t get that out of those vehicles, NO ONE is getting $5k out of non-running post 68 stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

A lady yesterday asked me what I wanted for my 72 standard. I told her 6500 and she sorta laughed. I told this car will go across the country and back. She thought I had give away prices. NOT!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Oklahoma “rust” is WAY different than Ohio “rust”. I would have jacked them up higher on a market place ad, but the $5500 is VERY reasonable, and the $2k is a steal. Any ads I’ve seen here are usually viewed by those that “know better” and aren’t going to pay 5 times market price. I guess this is an experiment, because if you can’t get that out of those vehicles, NO ONE is getting $5k out of non-running post 68 stuff.

It’s been about 24 hours since ads went up. The 74 has been viewed 201 times with zero emails, no interest, the 63 ad has been viewed 1650 times times and I have 45 emails with several from UK. I’ll be busy trying to get back to people on that but the main question is late model 68 up and what are they worth. I looked at classifieds yesterday to see what’s going on and looks like people are selling all their project cars. That’s ok too. Before all the dust settles I’d bet prices go down with millions of folks unemployed.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Busstom wrote:

It’s been about 24 hours since ads went up. The 74 has been viewed 201 times with zero emails, no interest, the 63 ad has been viewed 1650 times times and I have 45 emails with several from UK. I’ll be busy trying to get back to people on that but the main question is late model 68 up and what are they worth. I looked at classifieds yesterday to see what’s going on and looks like people are selling all their project cars. That’s ok too. Before all the dust settles I’d bet prices go down with millions of folks unemployed.

If the heater channels are solid, the '63 is priced too low..
Pre-'67's move pretty fast
If the heater channels are solid, lower door pillars solid, frame head solid, luggage tray solid.. show up at my shop with the '63 and the title and I'll give you $2800 cash.

How solid is the '74?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

And I'm pretty sure Zunde's avatar is the yellow 74 doing 80+ with zero problem Cool
I have seen both these cars in person, and can attest to his knowledge of aircooled VW-- I wouldn't have any concerns purchasing either.

Hey, is that guy that offered you 34k still around? Offer him this and make 24k. Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2380676

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Hey, is that guy that offered you 34k still around? Offer him this and make 24k. Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2380676
But, is that one an Auto-Stick? Confused
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

'69 and 1/2 of '70. Knock $500 off if it does. Laughing

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:

I have no idea if he's still around or not. Not sure what that ad has to do with anything since he was interested in an autostick.

1600 SP engine
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

While he, and I have had some abrasive exchanges in the forum in the past, how about we leave sb001 alone? If someone feels something is worth a certain amount, let them offer it, and let the owner decide. I know of VW enthusiasts that have been offered; $33k for a show worthy 67 Ghia, $45k for a very nice common 66 Bus, $100k for a Manx Buggy, and $100k for a mid 60’s Convertible Beetle. Skills got offered a nice chunk for one of his Buses.

How about we get the crazy train back on tracks to see if those like Zund can sell his 74 for $5500.

Last edited by [email protected] on Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While he, and I have had some abrasive exchanges in the forum in the past, how about we leave sb001 alone? If someone feels something is worth a certain amount, let them offer it, and let the owner decide. I know of VW enthusiasts that have been offered; $33k for a show worthy 67 Ghia, $45k for a very nice common 66 Bus, $100k for a Manx Buggy, and $100k for a mid 60’s Convertible Beetle. Skills got offered a nice chunk for one of his Buses.

How about we get the crazy train back on tracks to see if those like Zund can sell his 74 for $5500.

$5500 for the 74 is too much. Too new and too many still around. Just my .02 cents.

02/76 Beetle sedan
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Someone earlier in this thread posted about region dictating pricing. I agree with that, I live about 2 hours away from Zundfolge and that is pretty typical going rate for asking prices around here. (Note I said asking prices, not necessarily what a seller gets.)
Here are a few examples of ads in these parts, all of these are comparable to his

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1488669121283029/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/664387297690402/

https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/springfield-vw-1974-beetle-bug/7118067354.html

Check this one out, motor locked up and salvage title

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/213412829863803/

1600 SP engine
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
$5500 for the 74 is too much. Too new and too many still around. Just my .02 cents.

I guess we’ll wait, and see. I disagree on there still being to many around. ANYTHING now a days 45+ years old doesn’t have too many still around. Not that it’s rare, but there’s only one other 74 Beetle ad here in the classifieds, and they’re asking $6k. If they’re so common, I would think there would be more than 6 ads for 74 Beetles pop up here in the classifieds.

None of sb001’s ads seem too out of line to me.

Even the shortened Super isn’t too crazy over the top. The DLI Blower has a cult following just like the Judson Superchargers. It appears it was bought at an auction/sale from a delinquent storage unit. In that case, the salvage title isn’t a salvage title from a wreck, but an abandoned vehicle certificate that enables you to get a title. That’s the LEGAL way of getting a title to an abandoned vehicle in PA as well. It’s most likely worth more than the asking price in the parts.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It’s been about 24 hours since ads went up. The 74 has been viewed 201 times with zero emails, no interest, the 63 ad has been viewed 1650 times times and I have 45 emails with several from UK. I’ll be busy trying to get back to people on that but the main question is late model 68 up and what are they worth.

This says a lot about the 68 & up type 1 cars. Maybe in 20 years the value will go up. The ones that are going to be rare and hard to find are the sunroof models, not the vert models.

02/76 Beetle sedan
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

I guess we’ll wait, and see. I disagree on there still being to many around. ANYTHING now a days 45+ years old doesn’t have too many still around. Not that it’s rare, but there’s only one other 74 Beetle ad here in the classifieds, and they’re asking $6k. If they’re so common, I would think there would be more than 6 ads for 74 Beetles pop up here in the classifieds.

None of sb001’s ads seem too out of line to me.

Even the shortened Super isn’t too crazy over the top. The DLI Blower has a cult following just like the Judson Superchargers. It appears it was bought at an auction/sale from a delinquent storage unit. In that case, the salvage title isn’t a salvage title from a wreck, but an abandoned vehicle certificate that enables you to get a title. That’s the LEGAL way of getting a title to an abandoned vehicle in PA as well. It’s most likely worth more than the asking price in the parts.

Good deals don't last.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: