Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Trying to do remote diagnostics on a customer car. We had installed a rebuilt engine, new tranny mounts, bowden tube, gear oil change in addition to a lot of other work. BTW - this car was majorly hacked over the years. This is the problem that he describes:

He can start the car, put it in first and pull out normally. Clutch free pedal seems normal - a couple inches from the floor and it engages. Pushing it in a couple inches and it disengages. Sounds good to me so far.

BUT when he tries to shift into second or third, it grinds and he cant get it into gear. If he shuts off the car and starts in second, it will go, but cant get third.
Was not able to tell me if he had the same issue in reverse.

When we installed the engine, the clutch/pp and throw out would have either looked new or in really good shape or else we would have replaced them.

He indicated the that shift coupler looked new and I would have removed and reinstalled it when I did the front tranny mount. So, it must have been OK.

So - I am stumped. People are telling him its the clutch, throw out or related. If that were true, it wouldnt be fine in first gear. The only things I can think of are shifter adjustment OR I didn't tighten up the shift coupler properly. But why was it fine and then turn to crap?

Looking for any ideas on this...And yeah - I searched. Found the usual stuff but not anything like this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

I wonder if the shift forks are alright? On my car I recently had the chance to replace the nose cone and was able to manually verify I had the hockeystick engaging the slot in all 3 cutouts (neutral). Neutral was my starting point for making sure all gears could be engaged. That might or might not be something to check but the downside is the nose cone needs to come off to get a visual.

Then too where you mentioned the shift coupler I assume you mean the little coupler under the inspection plate where the shift rod gets connected to the trans hockey stick. On my car before I started using safety wire with the twist pliers, one or both of the square-head screws would work loose resulting in very crunchy shifting. Something else to check.

Good luck!

Ted
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Yeah - my suggestions for him are to verfy the coupler is tight and also try adjusting the shifter. I hate when a car drives fine here and then goes to shit after a while. But honestly, this car has been one thing after another...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Maybe the shifter base has moved?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Do you remember checking the flywheel gland nut pilot hearing when the engine was out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yeah - my suggestions for him are to verfy the coupler is tight and also try adjusting the shifter. I hate when a car drives fine here and then goes to shit after a while. But honestly, this car has been one thing after another...

This is super simple but the first thing I thought of in additional to tight coupler bolts is making sure the 2 bolts are still in line with each other on the coupler too.
In case the rubber wore out and now it's out of alignment but it hasn't fully broken apart.

Does it go into 3rd/4th when the car is off? Can he try to start it in 3rd and see if it moves?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

He has not tried fourth..Start in second and couldnt get third....Car not running l he says it goes into each gear.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
He has not tried fourth..Start in second and couldnt get third....Car not running l he says it goes into each gear.

Gonna have it brought back in. I had a bad feeling about this car when it first showed up and advised the owner to sell it and start over. Its been one thing after another. The car had been hacked so badly over the years....hoping its something simple....but it wont be.....
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Looking forward to your fix update!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting issue 61 first good, others grind Reply with quote

Well....hoping I don't post the fix and he takes it elsewhere, which I have suggested.

I feel bad for the guy. He paid way too much for the car and when it first got here I STRONGLY suggested that he sell it and take a hit, then buy a better car. Don't even want to discuss the body and other issues (many).

There were metal flakes in the oil when we drained it and after doing a flush and run for 15 minutes, we drained and saw the same. Surprisingly after he took it home after the first trip, the engine went south. When he bought it, the seller sprayed some starter fluid in it and it ran for a few seconds. We installed a rebuilt engine (not built here) and the car drove fine. Still not a good car, but I drove it for about 45 minutes and all was good. We drove it on to the trailer. Car was done in October of 2019.

When it got home he either drove it for a while, then it wouldnt shift or he couldnt drive it when he took it off the trailer. I was told both and just heard about the problem about a week ago (6 months later)

I already gave the initial problem - in and out of first is fine, clutch engages and disengages properly but can't get into any other gear while running.

For some reason he has the pedal assy out and is convinced its the throw out, pressure plate or clutch. At this point I suspect the tranny is messed up. He did say he checked the shift coupler and its good and tight and looks new. I had replaced all the tranny mounts at one point.

I offered to look at it, but also suggested he go elsewhere. I see this as a no win situation for either of us. Of course I got a very negative review on Facebook that I responded to nicely. So, wish me luck that it doesnt come back to the shop. Hate when stuff like this happens, because it doesnt here.

Sorry for venting...I do NOT like anyone to not be happy with the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: