Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen one of these.
Not mine.
Spotted on uk splitbus FB page.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thought it was cool.
Wouldn’t mind trying one for my ‘66.
I can’t afford the real thing just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

That's pretty trick! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

Nope but that is cool!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

Did someone build that? The parts seem to have rust pits and looks aged? Pretty cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2304350

Nice guy. Very responsive and willing to do modifications. I didn’t buy one. Yet.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

If you look up "retro car radio" on amazon there are many iterations of that low-power, digital head unit. Too small for this old man's opinion. But it sure look like one that has been creatively refaced using a classic deck unit. Very cool.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:

Nice guy. Very responsive and willing to do modifications. I didn’t buy one. Yet.

Neato, but looks like you still have to cut your dash for that single DIN opening. That's pretty stupid.

Best to just get your OG radio and have it converted.

Or just get this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/133241593716?chn=ps&nor...gaEALw_wcB
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

^^^^ That’s the same guy in Thailand.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
Neato, but looks like you still have to cut your dash for that single DIN opening.

Don't think that is true. Looks like the body sets behind the dash and uses original holes. Some faceplates may just look like a DIN cutout.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Neato, but looks like you still have to cut your dash for that single DIN opening. That's pretty stupid.

Best to just get your OG radio and have it converted.

Or just get this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/133241593716?chn=ps&nor...gaEALw_wcB

Pre-din Euro radios had a standard 'face dial' opening and shaft spacing. This could work without cutting.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
teahead wrote:
Neato, but looks like you still have to cut your dash for that single DIN opening.

Don't think that is true. Looks like the body sets behind the dash and uses original holes. Some faceplates may just look like a DIN cutout.

My Fauxpunkt inner bezel to mount from behind.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

That’s cool.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

Following on from the fake blaupunkt I picked this from a seller in Germany.
Delivered to my door for a total of €46.
I don’t know if it works. And I don’t know even how to test it.
Can anyone tell me how to test it ?
It says it can be 6v or 12v.
My bus is now 12v.
I don’t see a tab to pull out and flip and re insert like you’d see on other blaupunkt radios.
The black six pin plug has hirschmann written on it.

I’m guessing it’s a Frankfurt ‘K’ radio.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Dan.

Last edited by SplitBusVanatic on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

It looks like you have just the head unit. The cable with the Hirschmann plug goes to a second unit which includes the amplifier and the power supply.

The radio as such has a select-able input voltage 6/12 V.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Michael.
Is it possible to test or even use this without the second unit. ?
I’ve seen these on the internet surely.

Can you tell how to switch or ensure it is setup for 12v ?
- Dan.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

I have a broken 1950s Blaupunkt Frankfurt that I may try to restore in future.

The head unit operates at high voltage.

As Michael says, you're missing a vital component. The missing unit (a combination powerpack and amplifier) generates the high voltage from the battery via a transformer. It connects to the head unit via that multi-pin plug on the braided yellow wire.

The switching for 12V or 6V input is done within the missing unit. It outputs high voltage to the head unit.

A transformer needs a moving magnetic field to operate. The magnetic field 'moves' by 'growing' and 'shrinking' (increasing and decreasing in strength). The magnetic field is created by current (moving charge - in this case, electrons). As they start to move, they greate a magnetic field that 'grows' until it reaches a peak. When they stop moving, the field collapses or 'shrinks'.

Imagine 'waves' or ripples of magnetism radiating from the wire like ripples on a pond when you throw a stone in.

The expanding/collapsing magnetic field can be achieved by supplying alternating current (AC) to the transformer, where the current moves, stops, reverses, moves, stops, reverses etc. and each time it moves and stops the magnetic field grows or collapses.

In a car though, you have direct current (DC) from the battery.

DC current can be made to 'move' by just switching it on/off/on/off etc., so the current moves and stops, moves and stops and the magnetic field grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks etc.

The missing unit contains a plug-in component called a 'Vibrator' (Zerhacker or 'chopper' in German) that is an electromechanical vibrating switch. It rapidly switches the DC on and off. It's about the size of a D-cell battery and has some pins on the bottom where it plugs in to the circuit board. It's combined with a component called 'rectifier' that contains capacitors which stores electrons (charge) when the switch is on, and dumps them in to the circuit (moving electrons - current) when the switch is off. That fills in the gaps in the output from the transformer when the switch is closed.

To change the input voltage, you have to rearrange some wiring AND replace the vibrator in the missing unit with one for 12V or 6V. I've yet to find the correct 12V vibrator for my power pack, so I bought a solid-state vibrator alternative that does the same job, but it will need to be hard-wired in (you can open a dead vibrator and wire them inside). http://royalsignals.org.uk/vibs/

So, you need the missing power pack / amplifier unit, a vibrator with the correct voltage, a bit of soldering to rearrange some wiring in the power pack /amplifier. Then you will probably need to replace most of the capacitors, including all the electrolytic ones in both the power pack and head unit. I think the resistors need replacing too because they're paper-wrapped units that degrade with time and possibly some of the valves if they've blown.

Hence why mine is still in a box in the loft. Very Happy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

What a brilliant, informative reply.
That is EXACTLY the information I needed.
Thank you so much Andy.

So. The hunt is on first of all, for a working 12 volt amp/powerpack that will suit this six pin plug.

Does anyone know of a chrome trim that would suit this radio. ?

Also knobs. Ivory or gray/grey/Grau ?

If I can’t get it working for less than the cost of a replacement old working blaupunkt, it will serve as a nice dash filler for the time being.

Thanks again fellas.
-Dan.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

I found the Thai fake blaupunkt radio on YouTube.
Looks pretty cool.

Link
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

So I bought another cheap radio with amplifier/power pack to see could I get one radio working at least from the two.
I got caught in a German ebay vortex. What can I say.
Anyway.
Question.

Is this the correct way to have the voltage selector to use 12volt ?
Photos are of outside on the amplifier/power pack.
And last photo is inside the main chassis of the radio.

Can I now wire this to a 12volt battery on the bench to test this radio.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fake Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio Reply with quote

So I managed to get it working..
Who Hoo. Thanks to Rich Oakley for some guidance.
Basically with this model, the tabs need to actually show the voltage.
So if you change over the plastic tabs to reveal ‘12’ then that’s it set to 12volts.
In the photos above it is set to 6 volts.

So i set them them both to 12 and played around with the radio on the bench.
With a 12 volt golf buggy type battery fully charged.
And a cheap Chinese antenna.
I tuned in to FM and is playing away here on all stations for the last 90 minutes.

To say I’m delighted is an understatement.

Now the goal is to see if I can get this power pack mated up to the €46 older Stuttgart.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: