Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

I cannot find a video that shows:

How to change the front wheel bearing on a Vanagon 4x4.
Plenty out there for a 2 wheel drive - but the Syncro is different.

The Syncro bearing is one piece and not two bearings (inner and outer)
Anyone knows what has to come off to get the job done.
Does the whole axle need to come out?
Does the break saddle needs to be removed?

I wonder if I can do this with my limited tools.

Any input is highly appreciated, a link to a video is always helpful.
Thanks
puu
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

There is a tool that will let you pull some sealed bearings with the housing installed, but you’ll need to pull it and take it to a hydraulic press. Even then it’s something you need to figure out.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

think you need to remove the whole knuckle assembly. Start by checking out the Bently manual.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

This seems pretty helpful.

https://edbee.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/syncro-front-wheel-bearing-installation-and-front-suspension/

I suggest investing in this, so you can do the ob yourself and if you work on other cars can be used as well. Harbor freight 12 ton press:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

You need to be prepared that the center hub may not be reusable. Most likely the inner race will remain behind and VW did not think to leave flats for a puller. So there are some tricks to getting it off without damaging the hub. Otherwise, if you bring the housings and new bearings to a shop with a press, expect about 1 to 2 hours. Hourly rates very by location. You want someone that has done this before. If you don't support it right at certain stages you can damage the new bearing. There is also an additional debris seal that you might as well replace. It goes between the hub and CV joint. The outer joint also has a seal. T3 Technique had those the last time I needed them.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
This seems pretty helpful.

https://edbee.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/syncro-front-wheel-bearing-installation-and-front-suspension/

I suggest investing in this, so you can do the ob yourself and if you work on other cars can be used as well. Harbor freight 12 ton press:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Great write up.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

Removing the inner race on the hub can be tough. On my jetta i chose to just buy a new hub because they are available and cheap. Maybe not an option for our syncros. But when i was investigating how to remove these, seemed a lot of folks has luck with heating the race up and prying or pounding off the hub. Also some folks used hyrolic chisel. But challenge here is getting the right angle. Like stated above, almost need a puller that fits accordingly.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

also forgot to mention you might need to get this press kit if you decide to get press and do it yourself:

https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-drive-bearing-remover-and-installer-kit-21-pc-63728.html
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
also forgot to mention you might need to get this press kit if you decide to get press and do it yourself:

https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-drive-bearing-remover-and-installer-kit-21-pc-63728.html

Check with your local auto parts store if they have this as a loaner tool.
If one doesn't have it another probably will.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

At $1000 a piece, damaging the hub does not seem like a good idea.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355838

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

puu wrote:

The Syncro bearing is one piece and not two bearings (inner and outer)
Anyone knows what has to come off to get the job done.
Does the whole axle need to come out?
Does the break saddle needs to be removed?

I wonder if I can do this with my limited tools.

What are your "limited tools"?
You need two good solid jack stands, floor jack, spring compressor and the obvious wrenches, sockets etc., etc. plus the special bearing tool kit above and probably a few more things. Sometimes you can get the spring out without a spring compressor, but for that you need the highest jack stands and a floor jack with the highest lift. I think 23" is about the highest lift you can get with a floor jack.

You probably want to loosen the outer axle nut while the wheel is still on the ground.
The brake caliper and mounting carrier, brake disc. You do not have to disconnect the brake line to the caliper, but you need a good strong bit of wire to secure it up out of the way after you remove the caliper.
Your going to need to remove the Shock & Spring by disconnecting the upper ball joint from the upper control arm and letting it drop.
Disconnect the inner cv joint and outer axle nut. You will probably destroy the bearing when you remove the axle as a whole.
Then reconnect the upper ball joint to the upper control arm so everything stands up straight so it's easier to work on it.
The special kit above to get the bearing out and back in. The problems with the kit is if it has the right sizes needed to fit the bearing and bearing hub. It's a good idea to have some "all thread" rod and nuts with good strong washers to fit, find some big socket that fits the bearing if you can. I've even made up a kit out of pvc pipe fittings and whatever I can find with the right diameters to fit the bearing and hub.
It's always an experiment, but I always seem to have good luck. It may take a few trips to the hardware store to find the things that fit.
You can put the bearing back in using the kit or the all thread rod tool you made.
Have fun! Take it slow and common sense will get you through it.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

While you have the axle out take the opportunity to get some new grease into the CV Joints.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

I have a 20 ton press and preferred to use a bearing set press. You can rent them from your local auto store. I did a write up here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261708#9261708
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AFAIK there are no diagrams of the Sycro front wheel bearing so I drew this.
Maybe someone will find an official diagram and post it.

The seals are not shown in this drawing.

Its important to understand why you can't put weight on the Syncro front wheels unless the axle is installed and torqued. The axle holds the bearing together. Without the axle holding it together, the wheel will fall off. If you drive with the axle nut loose, the hub and bearings will be destroyed.

Some discussion of the Syncro front wheel bearing here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8303268#8303268

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

Just went through this. Strongly advise taking it to a shop with an experienced all-arounder type mechanic. Took him less than an hour since I came back sooner than that. $70. Saved me from screwing around with tools, time, anger, etc.

New bearing pressed in with two new seals. Parts came from Burley or GW. Too old to remember.
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

Thanks to you all here for your speedy reply with all the important information.

Highly appreciated.

I just did a CV joint in the back, took me 2 hours on the ground and I though it will be enough for my skill set. Oh boy!

Unclear is what the special bearing tool kit I need is ???

I had no idea that the axle has to come off in order to replace the bearing.
This means I have to by new boots since I cannot find the metal clips holding the boots without the rubber.

I received the bearing and it looks like the bearing is sealed - no grease needed.
Should I by in case a front Wheel Bearing Clip?
I did order the Wheel Seals

Any other parts recommended to not get stuck in the process?

Thanks so much
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

You disconnect the outer cv joint and leave the axle installed. No need to remove the cv boots. Review the linked write up above. It’s very good.
Dogsled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
think you need to remove the whole knuckle assembly. Start by checking out the Bently manual.

My Bentley contains very little on syncro bearing install.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro front wheel bearing replacement help Reply with quote

The 2 versions of the Bentley on my desk both have the Syncro front wheel bearing info on pages 40.23 - 40.24

Mark

Dogsled wrote:
mrshrimp wrote:

My Bentley contains very little on syncro bearing install.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: