Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CIP1 locking gas cap,
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

So maybe I’m an idiot, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to get the locking gas cap from CIP1 to work. I twist, I push, I turn and it doesn’t lock, comes right off. If anyone has one, Is there a trick to this thing? [/quote]
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

I have one from the Thing Shop that was a give away at one of the Thing shows in the past; 10 or more years ago.
I have never used it, but it seems to me that when the cap is locked, the outer portion just spins freely so that the cap cannot be removed. So basically, when the cap is unlocked, the outer portion and the inner portion are turning together.

Over the last 40 years, I bet I have lost, mislaid, forgotten, etc. half a dozen gas caps (at least). Now mine is on a short chain to prevent this problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

That’s kind of what I thought, but if that’s how it’s supposed to work, then it’s pretty pointless as you can grab the inner circle with your finger tips and twist right it right off.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

I guess that's why I have never used mine; haven't seen the need for one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

When "unlocked" the outer ring is latched to the inner cap, granting you access to the filler neck.
When "locked" the outer ring spins in relation to the inner cap, denying access to the filler neck.
Be forewarned, it takes a great deal of torque to seat or unseat it.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

I’m going to go with this one I received is busted. The outer cap will spin but it will just come off like a regular gas cap, actually it comes off far easier than the stock gas cap.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

Those gas caps are junk
I bought some and had to return them
I told them they were terrible but they are still selling them
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: CIP1 locking gas cap, Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I should have know better, this is the second crap thing I’ve received from CIP1.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: