Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear body dimensions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Anybody have a diagram with the rear body dimensions. I am replacing the bumper brackets and want to make sure everything is in correct spot.

I dont have a rear apron either and want to make sure the sides are straight. The distance between the quarters.

I have the later dimensions but a few are different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Bolt the fender on. Then line up the bumper bracket, temporarily. Bolt on the bumper and install the grommets. You should get really close.

If you wait 4 weeks, I will be documenting that exact process.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

I didn't explain it very well. I know where the bumper brackets go. I need the left and right measurements. My friend smacked it on passenger side so it is a bit tweaked. Distance between bumper brackets would help. Want the side straight before I weld the bracket on.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Here’s a few of those dimensions.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

if there has been accident damage I would be wanting to do what jimbo said plus fit the valence and decklid to make sure everything was centred and not off to one side.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

I have those dimensions. They are off a bit. The early engine is 733. Bumper brackets are shaped a bit different. I dont have a rear bumper.

I’m just looking for the early body dimensions.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Here’s a few of those dimensions.

Jimbo you're a wealth of information...I'm in a similar position with my '55. Bumper brackets are in place but no where near anything level. Right to left about 1/2" out of level (car is level front to back, side to side) and both are low (5/16") at the outer (bumper) end...Are they intended to slope down from the fenders? I don't want to weld them up only to find things are not where they ought to be...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Original '57 and distance 'S' is 745mm.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Tehilla, whose bumper brackets? I have a set of wolfs I believe. Shaped differently from the original. I didnt like the difference so I repaired some originals. I can measure the bolt distances to get you to correct position with them. The s and w are probably the only measurements correct for early cars. Others I wouldnt trust. Mine is convertible so way off.

They ride really low
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

I squared them up and took straight measurements. Looks like 92 and 86 will get you close.

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: rear body dimensions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Jason. I've got the mounts from Wolfparts. You're right, they're not the same shape as what I cut off the car (rusted beyond repair) so all my markings and measurements prior to cutting out the rust was in vain. I'm just trying to get as good a fit as possible. It does look like the bumper mounts slant slightly downward on your car so I'll work with the dimensions you've got (hopefully not much is different between a 57 vert and a 55 standard...) and see how things look. Lots of assembly, dismantle, reassemble, dismantle....I like the pile of equipment beneath your project. I've got a very similar assortment under mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: