Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My thermostat cable. (A rant)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

For the past several months I have had an issue where my car was very difficult to start back up once warmed up, and although that is normal for these cars around summer season (if you don't think so just check the list of posters with the same issue for even just the past month) it just was happening too often for it to be just that. Also once the car did start back up, the first few seconds were touch and go as it would stumble terribly. Third, when I got home and popped the engine lid there was a significant gas smell.
(If you've never owned an autostick, just the typical characteristic of this system is to bog down after put into gear- due in no small part to the fluid coupling of the torque converter, on a warmed up engine the revs will drop from 950 to approx 750-780 rpms when put into gear. So this exacerbates the situation when the engine decides it's too hot.)

Anyway back on track- after dealing with this for the last couple months, enough was enough- I popped the engine lid and finally noticed that my thermostat cable had not pulled the flap inside the air cleaner snorkel open to ambient air- it was still open to pre-heated air. The deck lid handle, and everything inside the engine was roasting hot.
After some investigating, I discovered that instead of pushing and pulling the cable as it's supposed to when the thermostat expands, the flap arm the cable connects to on the fan shroud was pushing/pulling the whole cable sheathing. The clamp toward that end of the cable that holds the sheathing is supposed to prevent this from happening, but it was loose around the sheathing and no amount of tightening the clamp screw would prevent this from continuing to happen. There was another contributing factor as well- apparently I had too much cable length between the fan shroud flap arm and the air cleaner flap. This meant that even when the engine warmed up and the thermostat expanded, and the fan shroud flap arm pulled the lower end of the cable, the upper end on the air cleaner just stayed in place so the snorkel flap was open to preheated air. This also probably was the root cause of the sheathing being pulled instead of the cable.

The easy answer of course would be to adjust the cable length at the fan shroud end (loosen the securing bolt and pull more of it through the bolt then tighten the bolt back down.) This would be a great solution-- except that the cable to the fan shroud flap is COMPLETELY blocked by the intake manifold, as well as the fan shroud "arm" and the generator housing being in the way. There is absolutely NO way to get an open end wrench on the nut behind the flap arm to hold that side of the bolt and get another tool in to loosen it. Thanks VW!! Now I know EXACTLY why you went to a wax pellet thermostat on the air cleaner after 1970!!! Evil or Very Mad

In order to accomplish this simple adjustment that should take 30 seconds, you would basically have to undo the whole fan shroud (and accompanying parts) and lift it up enough to clear the manifold, and even then it might not be accurate because you've moved the position of the fan shroud flap. The only other way is to remove the intake manifold- an impossible task on a single port with the engine in the car. After struggling for an hour with this mess, I finally gave up and cut that end of the cable and then pulled it off the air cleaner. Now I won't have my snorkel open to preheated air with the engine cold, but that's a small price to pay for this disaster of a design.

EOR

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

Why not buy a new thermostat cable, grease the cable inside the sheathing etc.?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Why not buy a new thermostat cable, grease the cable inside the sheathing etc.?

There's nothing wrong with the cable I have. I just needed to be able to adjust the extra length out, which I can't do because the intake manifold is blocking the securing bolt that holds the cable to the flap arm. That's why I ended up having to cut this cable at that end to remove it- I can't get tools in to loosen the securing bolt. Poor design.

Also, have you ever searched for a replacement thermostat cable? Let me know when you find one.

1600 SP engine
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

New cable available here. Also R & R type 1 engine is not a big job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AirCooled-Beetle-Ghia-...1853329704

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Wow- touche. These cables used to be like hen's teeth to find. I also came across this ad for the whole t-stat setup that includes the cable:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2341858

I guess others were getting as tired of the bad design as I was. You HAVE to be able to adjust the cable once everything is installed, and VW made it virtually impossible with the securing bolt being blocked.

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

Another option (that you probably already know about) is to throw in the towel and replace with a 1971 air filter with its own embedded thermostat. I have one on my '70 and it works perfectly.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Another option (that you probably already know about) is to throw in the towel and replace with a 1971 air filter with its own embedded thermostat. I have one on my '70 and it works perfectly.

Yep- as I stated in my first post no wonder VW moved to the wax pellet t-stat system in 71- I bet the dealership service guys were tired of fighting that poor design too

1600 SP engine
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Wow- touche. These cables used to be like hen's teeth to find. I also came across this ad for the whole t-stat setup that includes the cable:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2341858

I guess others were getting as tired of the bad design as I was. You HAVE to be able to adjust the cable once everything is installed, and VW made it virtually impossible with the securing bolt being blocked.

Why not use a heat gun on the thermostat to adjust the cable?

02/76 Beetle sedan
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Why not use a heat gun on the thermostat to adjust the cable?

I don't know how many different ways I can explain it. You have to loosen the securing bolt on the flap arm to adjust the cable. You can't do that because the arm and bolt are being blocked by the manifold:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even if you got a tiny open end wrench on that nut, you still have to get some kind of pliers or something behind to hold it- there simply isnt enough space. It's a physical location issue.

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

Bummer.

Glad they switched to a better system.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

All I know is, its a easy fix, with the engine out of the car and using the right tools. Maybe someone else will explain that better to you. You make it sound like its a big hard project. Peace.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
You make it sound like its a big hard project. Peace.

I agree, it can't be that big of a problem. With the right tools it should be a 5 minute job.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
All I know is, its a easy fix, with the engine out of the car and using the right tools. Maybe someone else will explain that better to you. You make it sound like its a big hard project. Peace.

I don't need anything explained to me. Once again you're clearly not grasping the principle that you shouldn't have to pull the engine for a 30 second cable adjustment, plus to do the adjustment properly the engine needs to be installed. This plus your "use a heat gun" statement makes it clear you are not familiar with this system at all.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
...very difficult to start back up once warmed up... Also once the car did start back up, the first few seconds were touch and go as it would stumble terribly. Third, when I got home and popped the engine lid there was a significant gas smell.

Does the "hot start" procedure from the owners' manual not work? If you're using the prescribed hot start procedure and it's still terrible, then something is wrong. It should flood a little from heat soak, but not so much that the hot start procedure doesn't even work.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

I agree, it can't be that big of a problem. With the right tools it should be a 5 minute job.

If this is correct why did VW drop the system and go with a more expensive wax pellet design in 71, at a time when they were trying to ramp down production costs?

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
sb001 wrote:
...very difficult to start back up once warmed up... Also once the car did start back up, the first few seconds were touch and go as it would stumble terribly. Third, when I got home and popped the engine lid there was a significant gas smell.

Does the "hot start" procedure from the owners' manual not work? If you're using the prescribed hot start procedure and it's still terrible, then something is wrong. It should flood a little from heat soak, but not so much that the hot start procedure doesn't even work.

Nah that procedure never really worked, these cars just have that problem in the hotter summer months- just take a look at how many people have started posting recently about their car being hard to restart and stumbling. Like I said though it was never this bad until the thermostat cable issue made it worse.

1600 SP engine
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

If this is correct why did VW drop the system and go with a more expensive wax pellet design in 71, at a time when they were trying to ramp down production costs?

Who said it was more expensive to go with wax pellet design? You got it backwards.

02/76 Beetle sedan
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
kpf wrote:
Does the "hot start" procedure from the owners' manual not work?

Nah that procedure never really worked, these cars just have that problem in the hotter summer months-

Mostly I get to drive mine only when the weather is between 85° and 110°F. Plenty of others in CA or AZ, etc. are in a similar situation. The weather is not the problem.

A while ago I sent my Solex carburetor away to be restored. I figured while I was waiting for the Solex, I'd install an EMPI just so the car wouldn't be immobile. For some reason that EMPI carb had the symptoms you've described: It would flood a lot after shutdown. I used the hot-start procedure and still had to crank a few seconds and then it would cough to life and take a few seconds to clear up. I think it was the second day of driving with the EMPI, it flooded so badly that it wouldn't start. I gave up and removed the EMPI and didn't drive the car until the Solex returned. The Solex has never done that before or after the rebuild. For this reason, I believe the excess flooding is caused by the carburetor and nothing else.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

kpf wrote:

Mostly I get to drive mine only when the weather is between 85° and 110°F. Plenty of others in CA or AZ, etc. are in a similar situation. The weather is not the problem.

A while ago I sent my Solex carburetor away to be restored. I figured while I was waiting for the Solex, I'd install an EMPI just so the car wouldn't be immobile. For some reason that EMPI carb had the symptoms you've described: It would flood a lot after shutdown. I used the hot-start procedure and still had to crank a few seconds and then it would cough to life and take a few seconds to clear up. I think it was the second day of driving with the EMPI, it flooded so badly that it wouldn't start. I gave up and removed the EMPI and didn't drive the car until the Solex returned. The Solex has never done that before or after the rebuild. For this reason, I believe the excess flooding is caused by the carburetor and nothing else.

You may be right, but if that's the case you'll have to talk to the highly recommended Volkzbitz on here, since he rebuilt my genuine autostick- modified Solex 30 PICT-3 and I've used nothing else ever since.

1600 SP engine
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My thermostat cable. (A rant) Reply with quote

While I can agree that the system is somewhat Victorian in design, I'm having a hard time trying to understand why a stuck TAC flap would cause your symptoms of hard starting and poor running on hot starts.
The fact that you smell fuel after being driven awhile doesn't make sense either. Sounds more like the common fuel drip into the carb throat on hot soak that is also very prevalent with these cars.

Another option you had to disable it was to simply remove the hot air hose off of the air cleaner. That would have been a quicker, easier and less invasive test to prove your theory.

As far as the adjustment goes, after 45 years as a pro mechanic I've learned some adjustments are not as easy as others and you just have to overcome and conquer whichever way is necessary.
Taking the intake off is not impossible nor is getting some sort of wrench in there to get to the bolt/nut. Sometimes you have to make the perfect tool even if that means cutting, grinding or bending a wrench or two.
Auto mechanics is an art form, not a science Wink

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: