Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door weatherstrip frame to door.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

As you can see my new weatherstrip will need to be cut of which I'll assume line up the slots and then cut. I'm a little nervous about cutting until I get some feedback. If I cut as lined up in the images of the strip on the bus it will be open on the end and in a "U" shape instead of a "box" shape in birds eye view. I lined up the old seals to the new seals (seals from Germany).

Do I live with that "U" shape on the ends or do I glue in some extra to box it in?

Do I glue it in place? Auto weather striping adhesive?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

I've had several NOS sets that end up in the "U" you mention. There actually isn't a place for the across ends to sit. The top-of-window door-scraper could extend down past the door-to-slider-frame rubber.

Personally I've never used cement as the outer bulbous keeps water out and the bolts and nuts that hold the frame on tighten against the seal.

See what others say before cutting anything. You will want the drain holes to line up for sure.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

Thanks BarryL, I'm not an adhesive type of person in the first place as everything is subject to change and removing adhesive is a PITA. If I don't hear back I'll start searching and PM those who have trimmed and get their opinion. It's too bad they made the last end "U" cuts in the rubber as I would prefer to have done that myself with an Exacto knife.

Is there a bonding agent that I can melt the rubber together to ad the end piece? I'm getting so close to finishing my camper if campgrounds do not open I'm going to park it on my lawn and camp all summer.

This "U" cut is a shame.

BarryL wrote:
I've had several NOS sets that end up in the "U" you mention. There actually isn't a place for the across ends to sit. The top-of-window door-scraper could extend down past the door-to-slider-frame rubber.

Personally I've never used cement as the outer bulbous keeps water out and the bolts and nuts that hold the frame on tighten against the seal.

See what others say before cutting anything. You will want the drain holes to line up for sure.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

I have never had NOS sets, but have done four or so buses with new rubber on door tops. WCM rubber I think?
Regardless, I had to cut and snip and fit each time to get what I considered a proper fit.

U channels on the ends, elongating drain holes and post holes to line up, even shaving some of the inside of the outer channel to get the middle post to sit down flush.

My philosophy was that as long as the outer channel seals properly end to end, the inner channel looks contiguous end to end from the inside of the bus, cut what you need to cut to get the frame to sit down flush with the door.
I had to do probably 5 or more test fits per side before I had a good flush fit.

It is a somewhat tedious process, but not difficult - don't overthink it.
No adhesive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks BarryL, I'm not an adhesive type of person in the first place as everything is subject to change and removing adhesive is a PITA. If I don't hear back I'll start searching and PM those who have trimmed and get their opinion. It's too bad they made the last end "U" cuts in the rubber as I would prefer to have done that myself with an Exacto knife.

Is there a bonding agent that I can melt the rubber together to ad the end piece? I'm getting so close to finishing my camper if campgrounds do not open I'm going to park it on my lawn and camp all summer.

This "U" cut is a shame.

BarryL wrote:

Linda, to rejoin the U slice in the weatherstrip, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdQFiuGKkQ

I used CA glue (aka superglue) to mend my floormat. I used two pieces of thick metal since that doesn't form a bond. Any excess glue I carefully sliced off with an x-acto knife.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

Wow that was a great tip, thanks peecee69. Have you ever tried it? The video cut out when he said if you don't have lac thinner, then he poured the white bottle was that alcohol? I could see this working when you're in a pinch too.

Link

peecee69 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

This "U" cut is a shame.

BarryL wrote:

Linda, to rejoin the U slice in the weatherstrip, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdQFiuGKkQ

I used CA glue (aka superglue) to mend my floormat. I used two pieces of thick metal since that doesn't form a bond. Any excess glue I carefully sliced off with an x-acto knife.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door weatherstrip frame to door. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow that was a great tip, thanks peecee69. Have you ever tried it? The video cut out when he said if you don't have lac thinner, then he poured the white bottle was that alcohol? I could see this working when you're in a pinch too.

Link

Yes, I used this video, but for the front floor mat of my doublecab. I used two pieces of sheet metal and clamped them together for about an hour while the CA was drying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: