Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
And just like that we have another 72 Coupe

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-23/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

$12,000 no sale

Should have taken the money.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

1970 Convertible

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-20/

Mike Gerson

Last edited by kingkarmann on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kent70ghia wrote:
Glad to see you joined, I suggested it in the Facebook post Smile there is a ton of good info, you have just jumped into a rabbit hole Confused

JSR5150 wrote:
I'm the new owner of the Blood Orange '72 car. We're finalizing payment and shipping arrangements early next week. This is my first VW, been a Datsun Fairlady Roadster guy for years, but I've always had a soft spot for Ghias. I'm looking forward to receiving and enjoying this car.[/img]

You are correct, loads of information here!
JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
JSR5150 wrote:
I'm the new owner of the Blood Orange '72 car. We're finalizing payment and shipping arrangements early next week. This is my first VW, been a Datsun Fairlady Roadster guy for years, but I've always had a soft spot for Ghias. I'm looking forward to receiving and enjoying this car.[/img]

Congrats!
From everything I saw you got a really solid one Cool
Hope you include us in your future Ghia adventures.

Thanks! The car was loaded on transport today, and there will be a 7-10 day trip from the seller in Western Washington to us in South Carolina. I've already cleared out a place in the shop next to one of our Datsuns, and ordered tune-up/maintenance parts. Since it seems to be a very original car my plans are to keep it as original as possible.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1970 Convertible

I should add this very solid offering is presented by a fellow Ghia enthusiast JAL78 Cool

Mike Gerson

Last edited by kingkarmann on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

1972 Modified Coupe

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-22/

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1972 Modified Coupe

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-22/

From the selling dealer,

"Please note
For unknown reason the speedo, fuel, and tach are inop when running the car today. The oil pressure, temp and cylinder head temps are working normal. I will not have time to have this issue researched and I would like any potential buyers to be aware.

Regards.

Zipzappin"

Ya think!! Shocked

Mike Gerson

JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1970 Convertible

I should add this very solid offering is presented by a fellow Ghia enthusiast JAL78 Cool

My listing ends tomorrow at 12:30 PST. Its tough because its a “no reserve” listing! Thanks to the BAT Ghia experts for posting your observations and comments (negative and positive) on the condition of my car. I believe that potential buyers need to know what they are really spending their hard earned cash on.
Yesterday a very interested buyer came back a second time to inspect and drive the Ghia with the owner of the vintage VW restoration and repair shop in Novato, Ca (Viking). This owner has restored many Ghia’s and also is an expert. The buyer had hired him to evaluate the car for him. The owner of the shop did a very thorough inspection of the car and also did a test drive and was there for 1.5 hours. His assessment was very positive and similar to the BAT experts and stated that cars condition was exceptional for being 50+ years old. The potential buyer specifically asked him to inspect the nose and spare tire well area as this was an area of concern. After looking at the suspect area he stated stated that this was a “non issue” and concluded that there was no evidence of any repairs or replacement of the nose or front clip section. He also agreed that the nose was beautiful and never hit. I am aware that the BAT experts have a different opinion of this viewing the car with their computers and laptops but this was inspected by him in person with the car. He had inspected it from all angles and areas. He also did a very thorough inspection of the body looking and tapping for Bondo in all of the usual areas and could not find any. I would never list a car on BAT unless I was confident that it was a very solid example. I am quite aware of the intense scrutiny that would be presented by the experts which in my eyes is a plus! I am happy that this buyer has done his homework, now has this knowledge and can bid with confidence.
1961 Karmann Ghia convertible
1965 Karmann Ghia convertible
1973 Karmann Ghia convertible Sport Edition
1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

I don't take commentary lightly on the platform. It comes with some degree of responsibility. At least I think it should.

The best owners are educated ones. My mission is trying not to sabotage an auction with negativity unless a seller is less than forthcoming about an offering. You certainly seem to be an educated and 100% transparent owner.

You are exactly right about the "view from the computer." It can be difficult to process everything going on.

The minutia that led some of us to believe some work was being done is it appears a seal is missing on the inner left panel to nose.
Who knows what happened to it, if anything.
I know both of those seals on my coupe went missing after the car was media blasted. I definitely know Sophia never had any nose repairs.

Having someone with experience lay eyes on it should be comforting to the future owner.
He was much smarter than I as I bought my 67 Vert off of BAT without laying eyes on her. I got very lucky!

Your offering is a great example that looks poised to sell very well Cool

Mike Gerson

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

It's a nice car, might be beneficial to post the comments from the inspector on the BAT site as well. GLWTA.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

irvanm wrote:
It's a nice car, might be beneficial to post the comments from the inspector on the BAT site as well. GLWTA.

No I don't think that would be fair to the person who paid for the in depth report. The private review of the car gives him a bidding advantage which he would be fool to share.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
irvanm wrote:

No I don't think that would be fair to the person who paid for the in depth report. The private review of the car gives him a bidding advantage which he would be fool to share.

I'm confused? I think we're talking about 2 different inspectors here right? One hired by the potential bidder, but irvanm is speaking about the inspector on "BAT" who would have been working for BAT? I've never seen any "official" inspection reports from BAT. If there is such a thing, I don't recall seeing them displayed.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1970 Convertible

$28,500 Sold!!
Well done!

Mike Gerson

JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1970 Convertible

$28,500 Sold!!
Well done!

Thanks for all your input on BAT. Savvy buyers love to hear from the nitpicker experts! This a solid car going to an appreciative owner in Florida.
1974 Thing
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
irvanm wrote:

I'm confused? I think we're talking about 2 different inspectors here right? One hired by the potential bidder, but irvanm is speaking about the inspector on "BAT" who would have been working for BAT? I've never seen any "official" inspection reports from BAT. If there is such a thing, I don't recall seeing them displayed.

I don’t think BAT specifically does inspections other than vetting cars for sale on the site.
They let the rest of us do “inspections”. Laughing

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Seemed a fair price, though on the low end. I was thinking it would get 28-32k.
I don’t think the nit picker comments count for much. There have been some incredible turds on BAT that were picked apart and yet the vehicle bring in more money than anyone would have thought simply because they were shiny and had a look a couple people liked.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Seemed a fair price, though on the low end. I was thinking it would get 28-32k.
I don’t think the nit picker comments count for much. There have been some incredible turds on BAT that were picked apart and yet the vehicle bring in more money than anyone would have thought simply because they were shiny and had a look a couple people liked.

I agree with you Braukuche. Yeah go figure! however in the case of this deal the input from the eventual buyer and the unfortunate 2nd place bidder they stated that the opinion of the nit pickers and attitude of the seller was paramount. Just saying my 2 cents.
1974 Thing
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Private seller auction of a red 68 coupe survivor This is equipped with the Autostick.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-23/

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Private seller auction of a red 68 coupe survivor This is equipped with the Autostick.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-23/

It is very nice IMO.

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That’s a nice car. Looks like a low mileage car, the interior is mostly original.
Good call on the door panels, I keep forgetting the early panels had the plastic chrome strips.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 92 of 112

Jump to: