Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Bat is now featuring another electric Karmann Ghia.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-7/

$16,262 Reserve Not Met.

It probably would have made $25K if the Flat4 was reunited.

This was not a very exciting auction. A rather plain looking Electric conversion Ghia with grey powder coated bumpers, an old scratched up paint job and newer cloth seats that made the interior look more like a 10 year old Corolla. Not enough of what makes a Ghia, is left over. Converted electric classics may be the future, but obviously not many are willing to put their money down yet. The 65 mile range is not enough for most.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

$16,262 Reserve Not Met.

This was not a very exciting auction. A rather plain looking Electric conversion Ghia with grey powder coated bumpers, an old scratched up paint job and newer cloth seats that made the interior look more like a 10 year old Corolla. Not enough of what makes a Ghia, is left over. Converted electric classics may be the future, but obviously not many are willing to put their money down yet. The 65 mile range is not enough for most.

x2 on both counts. Even with the proper engine, it was kind of a dial tone of a car.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

$16,262 Reserve Not Met.

The ridiculous comments by the EV fanatics about how this is a $30k car or that they wish they would have bid on it made me roll my eyes. Seems prettty obvious it was a $16k car that no one really wanted.
I dunno! ,I do agree there is a future for classic cars with electric motors, but the tech is still too expensive and too limited for conversion purposes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

$16,262 Reserve Not Met.

The ridiculous comments by the EV fanatics about how this is a $30k car or that they wish they would have bid on it made me roll my eyes. Seems prettty obvious it was a $16k car that no one really wanted.
I dunno! ,I do agree there is a future for classic cars with electric motors, but the tech is still too expensive and too limited for conversion purposes.

The tech for a quality conversion is ridiculously expensive. Zelectric is doing great work right now, and they only do conversions on aircooled VWs and Porsches. From their website:

"The basic Zelectric Bug delivers around 100 miles per full charge. Less aerodynamic models (Microbus and Thing) can be less. But their range can also be extended with the use of additional batteries. Porsche, Ghia, Single/Double Cab, or Microbus builds can offer greater ranges–from 140 to 180 miles on a charge."

"The base price for the client-owned Beetle, Karmann Ghia or 356 Porsche retrofit is $68,000. Microbuses start at $74,000. Porsches generally run around $88,000 with additional options available."

That's their price for doing the conversion on your car. If you don't already have a car, add that cost in. To get a car that looks like any of the cars on their website, you have to essentially do a full restoration minus an engine, then add in their conversion cost. That could easily put you into six figures for a car like that, since they'll only work on "investment grade" cars.
Their work is also 100% reversible, as they never cut any metal.

A little homebrew electric conversion with limited range, on a less than spectacular car like the BAT one isn't going to bring much money.

https://www.zelectricmotors.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-6/
The green '67 vert sold for $27,000. I'm stunned! I wonder if these bidders know anything about rust on a KG and what happens when it gets in the channels. Body filler and paint doesn't stop the cancer. And they must have simply turned a blind eye to the door and body fitment and alignment issues. At least the seller did a decent job of pointing them out.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-6/
The green '67 vert sold for $27,000. I'm stunned! I wonder if these bidders know anything about rust on a KG and what happens when it gets in the channels. Body filler and paint doesn't stop the cancer. And they must have simply turned a blind eye to the door and body fitment and alignment issues. At least the seller did a decent job of pointing them out.

Totally agree!!! What a shocker!! The car is a good daily driver but these prices are really surprising. If someone wants to strip and paint that car, which it really could use someday, they are likely to find a serious rabbit hole. That paint job might be (and is likely) hiding a lot of surprises and not the good kind!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Not at all shocked.
KG’s are finally getting their due respect.
I can say with confidence good ones or ones that need some TLC are now “investment grade”

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Another just got listed. The ever popular 1971 model year. Laughing
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-16/

Not perfect but a decent car. Looks to have been under coated years ago. To me, appears to be pretty solid and straight. I would much
prefer this over the previous auction. Maybe this one will exceed $35,000 Shocked

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

It does look pretty decent. At least the torsion covers are there, seams in the rockers, drain holes at the rear, either a good restore or a pretty good original save for all the paint color changes. I'm trying to figure out what those grommets are on the B pillar above and below the strikers, any idea? I've never had those on mine, water drainage plugs???? Shocked
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
It does look pretty decent. At least the torsion covers are there, seams in the rockers, drain holes at the rear, either a good restore or a pretty good original save for all the paint color changes. I'm trying to figure out what those grommets are on the B pillar above and below the strikers, any idea? I've never had those on mine, water drainage plugs???? Shocked
Jeff

Those, I believe are plugs for the holes that were drilled to spray in under coating. There's others on the lower section of the rockers.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Jeff

Those look just like the plugs Ziebart used after drilling holes into doors and door jambs after their “rustproofing”. If so, it’s held up well.

EDIT: Sorry Marcdeb, I didn’t see you had already responded. I think you are correct.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Jeff

Those look just like the plugs Ziebart used after drilling holes into doors and door jambs after their “rustproofing”. If so, it’s held up well.

EDIT: Sorry Marcdeb, I didn’t see you had already responded. I think you are correct.

That's ok. Great minds think alike. Cool

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Not perfect but a decent car. Looks to have been under coated years ago. To me, appears to be pretty solid and straight. I would much
prefer this over the previous auction. Maybe this one will exceed $35,000 Shocked

I just got a quick peek but I am in love with that color!
I’m not a betting man but I do believe you’re spot on, $35k plus.
I just had to increase my agreed value after a new appraisal last week.
I kind of feel like I’m being taxed out of my neighborhood 🙄

Mike Gerson

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I just got a quick peek but I am in love with that color!
I’m not a betting man but I do believe you’re spot on, $35k plus.
I just had to increase my agreed value after a new appraisal last week.
I kind of feel like I’m being taxed out of my neighborhood 🙄

With what these cars have been fetching lately, I genuinely wonder what my '66 would command. Hopefully this isn't some anomalous "bubble" and it's a genuine trend.

malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Hey guys,

This is my car! You are starting to make me feel nervous already throwing out those big numbers. Have a look at my videos for explanations on the undercoating etc.. Im trying my best to represent it honestly the way the prices on these things have been going.

The color gorgeous and has be seen in person to appreciate for sure. Its one of the most solid ghias Ive ever seen in the part of the Country. Rough around the edges but such a sweetheart. It pains me terribly to let it go but I just cant hold on to 2 of them. Gotta put a roof on the house..

Im not a big poster in this forum but I have been into VW's my entire life and have visited this site almost daily since 2005 or so. I could not have accomplished the things on my VWs without the wealth of information on this site.

Fire away on BAT with thoughts and concerns.. Ill be glad to answer as honestly as possible.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
Hey guys,

This is my car! You are starting to make me feel nervous already throwing out those big numbers. Have a look at my videos for explanations on the undercoating etc.. Im trying my best to represent it honestly the way the prices on these things have been going.

The color gorgeous and has be seen in person to appreciate for sure. Its one of the most solid ghias Ive ever seen in the part of the Country. Rough around the edges but such a sweetheart. It pains me terribly to let it go but I just cant hold on to 2 of them. Gotta put a roof on the house..

Im not a big poster in this forum but I have been into VW's my entire life and have visited this site almost daily since 2005 or so. I could not have accomplished the things on my VWs without the wealth of information on this site.

Fire away on BAT with thoughts and concerns.. Ill be glad to answer as honestly as possible.

Even though you kind of have to sell, it seems your timing is great. The color is beautiful and that will likely command a premium. I think being candid and responsive to questions on BaT will serve you well. I'll be keeping an eye on this one, too (as "daleallen"). Although some of these prices are blowing my mind, I'm certainly not complaining! Very glad to see KGs getting some respect Cool GLWTS!

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
Hey guys,

From everything I see, I would keep the car and get a home equity loan for the roof!! Laughing I really like that your car just looks so straightforward, as in not a lot of bad surprises from bad POs. Good luck with the auction.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
malley56 wrote:
Hey guys,

From everything I see, I would keep the car and get a home equity loan for the roof!! Laughing I really like that your car just looks so straightforward, as in not a lot of bad surprises from bad POs. Good luck with the auction.

I wish I was one of the ones that could have a bunch! Don't worry I'm not deserting you guys. I have my other 71 that's much more special to me. I actually bought the Teal Ghia thinking I could let the red one go and just drive the teal one and not have to worry so much about every little thing on it. Just cant let the red one go though.

As I say feel free to post your honest thoughts on the car. You wont hurt feelings. It what the bidders deserve.

Have a great night..
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
Hey guys,

I saw your other Ghia try to sneek into your videos. Very nice Cool
I left some good commentary. I think you did an outstanding job representing your Ghia. It is a very nice example.
I think you will do very well!

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That teal ghia is a excellent basis for a correct restoration. You usually don’t find convertibles that dry and the body doesn’t look to be beaten to snot like most of the ones I come across.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 112

Jump to: