Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Quote:
I was doing fine chewing on blue corn tortilla chips and guacamole, or does it simply come down to one's taste, for which of course there is no accounting, e.g., guacamole vs salsa? Wink

Definitely Guac!!!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
crocteau wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Something to chew on while awaiting the next BaT Ghia...
I was doing fine chewing on blue corn tortilla chips and guacamole, but now I wonder, is there consensus here regarding two side view aspects of this car's relative 'correctness', i.e., is the lack of the side molding (an aesthetic negative in my opinion) offset by the presence of the seams in the rocker panels (an oft cited positive albeit of questionable aesthetic value in my opinion), or does it simply come down to one's taste, for which of course there is no accounting, e.g., guacamole vs salsa? Wink

I always (well for at least a year) thought that the torque tube covers and seams were just an indication of the car’s bondo-ness (if I might coin a term) .

The lack of seams in the rockers, for me is hardly noticeable, and I think it's not a "Beauty" feature by any means, but most people that don't know what a Ghia is wouldn't notice. The Porsche 356 have no seams so why are they even there. I suspect the way the rockers and heater channels were engineered is the reason??? I look for it because I know it's supposed to be there. If they are filled, then I wonder why, and what else is "wrong" with the car. I enjoy originality so that's what "beauty" is for me. I know, coming from a guy who has a 62 dash in a 71 car!! Embarassed What do I know anyway!

And .. neither guacamole, or salsa, but pass the chocolate ice cream please.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Funny — those seams are even on the prototype.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/images/deta...1953-32229

What is their function?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

What is their function?

When one considers the design of the inner and outer lower body panels elsewhere on the Ghia a guess might be they're there to ensure thorough moisture entry and retention. Very Happy

The rocker seams have always struck me as odd considering the painstaking efforts made to eliminate them everywhere else on the Ghia body. One guess might be that there's a certain amount of deflection, and the seams act as a control joint that won't lead to cracked paint.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Trylon wrote:

What is their function?

When one considers the design of the inner and outer lower body panels elsewhere on the Ghia a guess might be they're there to ensure thorough moisture entry and retention. Very Happy

The rocker seams have always struck me as odd considering the painstaking efforts made to eliminate them everywhere else on the Ghia body. One guess might be that there's a certain amount of deflection, and the seams act as a control joint that won't lead to cracked paint.

The front and rear fenders are two different assemblies linked by the rocker, to eliminate the seam they’d have to butt weld the pieces and then dress the welds vs literally cramming the flanged joint under the surrounding panel and then spot welding it to the upper and lower parts of the inner rocker. They did the same with the rear apron.
If that area is filled it’s most likely due to damage or rust and is an incorrect repair which cast doubt onto how well it was done along with the rest of the car. It’s as bad as a sculpted nose ridge.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/2502995.html
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/2502995.html

Nice original interior car except for front seats, unfortunately repainted in a boring Honda Civic color, but a heck of a deal until I noticed it had the kiss of death, a Salvage Title.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Nice original interior car except for front seats, unfortunately repainted in a boring Honda Civic color, but a heck of a deal until I noticed it had the kiss of death, a Salvage Title.

Not familiar with salvage title… might you illuminate?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Sure.
So if your car is in an accident and the cost to repair the damages is beyond a certain percentage of the appraised value of the car insurance will usually junk the car, basically buy it from you and sell it for scrap value.
If you decide you want to keep the car you can buy it back from the insurance company but it will come with a “Salvaged Title” which to most people means it’s been hit pretty hard and repaired, though it could also have been stolen at some point and recovered after pay off.
Anyway, it hurts the value of the car dramatically, I think I read 30 percent somewhere.
It’s sort of unfair, because for a long time Ghias had very low values so even a relatively minor collision could get them junked due to the expense of repair.
I should also add you can’t wash a salvaged title in most states.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Sure.
So if your car is in an accident and the cost to repair the damages is beyond a certain percentage of the appraised value of the car insurance will usually junk the car, basically buy it from you and sell it for scrap value.
If you decide you want to keep the car you can buy it back from the insurance company but it will come with a “Salvaged Title” which to most people means it’s been hit pretty hard and repaired, though it could also have been stolen at some point and recovered after pay off.
Anyway, it hurts the value of the car dramatically, I think I read 30 percent somewhere.
It’s sort of unfair, because for a long time Ghias had very low values so even a relatively minor collision could get them junked due to the expense of repair.

So damaged or stolen goods.
So it may not be a heck of a deal but perhaps a fair deal for those without the wherewithal to get this level car at its non-salvage price?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Sure.

So it may not be a heck of a deal but perhaps a fair deal for those without the wherewithal to get this level car at its non-salvage price?

On top of what he said, my insurance company stated they won't pay the full value on a salvaged car, if it gets damaged again or stolen.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Sure.

Yes, you can get really good deals on a salvaged car. You would need to check it well to make sure the damage wasn’t bad, like a bent frame, et. And the repairs done well. You just have to accept that down the line if you sell you will be passing on an equally good deal.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/172350270898/posts/10157850393020899/?d=n

Sold on Bat a few months ago I believe. I specifically remember the terrible bondo work above the headlights. I love the color combo though. Will be interested to see what it re sells for.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:

Sold on Bat a few months ago I believe. I specifically remember the terrible bondo work above the headlights. I love the color combo though. Will be interested to see what it re sells for.

Wonder why they are selling. Or maybe they are just flippers? Or more likely all that bondo is beginning to crack.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:

Are Ghias regularly sold at Pebble Beach?
Sounds fancy schmacy— perhaps it might fetch a fancy schmacy price?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
malley56 wrote:

Good question. I know they’ve been on other lower level on line auction sites, but I don’t recall any live major auctions let alone what I assume is a high profile on like this?
If it does well watch for yet another jump in values. If the monied class start getting interested then the days of cheap Ghias will truly be over.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
malley56 wrote:

Good question. I know they’ve been on other lower level on line auction sites, but I don’t recall any live major auctions let alone what I assume is a high profile on like this?
If it does well watch for yet another jump in values. If the monied class start getting interested then the days of cheap Ghias will truly be over.

Lookin’ more and more like I got in just in time and what might turn out to be a reasonable price.
Whoda thunk it?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
malley56 wrote:

Lookin’ more and more like I got in just in time and what might turn out to be a reasonable price.
Whoda thunk it?

I would agree with that. I hope you don’t think now it’s too valuable a car to drive and end up trailering it around like the 356 crowd.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
malley56 wrote:

Whoda thunk it?

I would agree with that. I hope you don’t think now it’s too valuable a car to drive and end up trailering it around like the 356 crowd.

Oooh, never thought of that! Anyone got a good used trailer?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
malley56 wrote:

Whoda thunk it?

My VW's wind up on flat beds after breaking down not trailers. Grrr
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 112

Jump to: