Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

These settings have worked well for several years. Some speed variance but very smooth.
the servo is located where the idle control unit once was. The cable was shortened to provide a gentle arc.
Westy full camper, 2.5 Subaru, manual transmission, microswithes on both pedals, 10watt resistor on brake light circuit (leds)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
There's already a VSS for the Bostig's ignition control module, but it's of unknown wave type and pulse. I suppose I could put my oscilloscope on it and figure it out, but I wanted a separate VSS for the Rostra. Heck, I don't need the oscilloscope--I know it's a sine wave.

For the record, I was wrong about this. The Bostig VSS is a square wave device. My oscilloscope confirmed it, and an email to Jim Akiba at Bostig also confirmed it.

I've got the Rostra mounted in the engine bay like jimf909--thanks, those photos were helpful.

I've got the wiring bus running from the engine bay to the dashboard for the brake/stalk/power runs.

I still have some wiring to do, but thought I would post this update. I'll followup when I get things running right.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
I have the Rostra Universal cruise on my Bostig (I installed one in a different car too) and I love it. It works just as I expect compared to a modern car (minus the +/-1 mph or +/-5 mph option that my modern car has).

Mine does +/-1 with the accel / decel buttons. Doesn't yours?

Late reply, but yes, the +/- 1 mph works. I really like the +/- 5 mph button on my modern VW.

FWIW, here's a photo of the settings on the Rostra for my Bostig setup. I've been using these for five years or so and am satisfied with the results. Speed is held constant, say w/in 3 mph until there's a notable hill.

Bostig, 2WD, manual transmission. The cuttoff switch on the clutch is nice because I just need to tap the clutch pedal to disengage the cruise. A switch on the brake pedal would be nice to avoid having to register braking with the pressure switch.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

A note for everyone following this thread: I started looking into the Rostra for my 77 Bay with Subaru EJ22 and discovered that Dakota Digital is now selling Rostra products under their own flag (even though the molding on the case still says Rostra.)

Better price? Worse? I dunno. But I thought it was worth bringing up.

webwalker
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

I've read the entire thread and didnt see the answer I need: what setting needs to be adjusted when the cruise disengages going uphill or into a strong headwind?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Found this in the Rostra manual, hope it helps

According to this and your symptoms, I'd test a higher "engine/setup timer" value. (Disclaimer: I am not familiar with this system, I'm just reading the manual...)
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

It's not a problem when running - no significant surge or delay; it just disengages when challenged. I sent a msg to Rostra. Thanks for your help.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I've read the entire thread and didnt see the answer I need: what setting needs to be adjusted when the cruise disengages going uphill or into a strong headwind?

That has nothing to do with wiring and everything to do with your linkage or the rostra cable binding up and putting too much pressure on the servo / worm gear in the unit. It could also be how much slack you have in the rostra cable or how much travel the cable is allowed (or more accurately NOT allowed.)

Your solution is to check for binding. ESPECIALLY if you're running an automatic and not going direct to the TB. The kick down linkage can cause the extra stress sometimes.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm buggered. The cable is connected, the fuses are all good, the LED on the dash control is lit . . . and the cruise control will not set. Sad Is there a ground or power wire I missed?

I'm very used to driving with my foot, but I'm in southern AZ, and the looooong straight stretches on I-10 and I-8 BEG for cruise control.

~ Captain Ron ~
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Ok, now I'm buggered. The cable is connected, the fuses are all good, the LED on the dash control is lit . . . and the cruise control will not set. Sad Is there a ground or power wire I missed?

I'm very used to driving with my foot, but I'm in southern AZ, and the looooong straight stretches on I-10 and I-8 BEG for cruise control.

There is a diagnostics mode for the Rostra that's described in the Manual. You'll need to run though that till you find your bad connection or wiring or dip switch setting. If everything checks out there, Rostra's help line is very good at troubleshooting and if it turns out to be a bad unit they'll get you sorted.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Thanks. The unit was installed by Peace Vans when the FAS 2.0 GEN V was installed, so I don't have a manual. I'll contact Rostra directly.

~ Captain Ron ~
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Have you looked at the GW site? they have basic setting info in a PDF. I would imagine that the rest of it is just standard Rostra.

I've installed one of these kits on a 95 1.9 AT Westy and unless the pavement is level and smooth it would not work. I played with the dip switches and got it to work but only under ideal conditions.

People with larger engines seem to have better luck though.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Corwyn, you could also try to contact FAS directly.
Where is the unit mounted, and how is the cable routed? Do you have pictures?
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
It's not a problem when running - no significant surge or delay; it just disengages when challenged. I sent a msg to Rostra. Thanks for your help.

Corwyn wrote:

I installed this unit in my '87 Syncro several years ago and it works ok.

This seemed to be an issue that the system disengaged when challenged (going uphill or into a strong headwind).

Now it seems it will not set at all? Am I missing something here, or did the situation go from troublesome to not working at all?

The disengagement may be normal. I've installed aftermarket cruise controls many times. When the actual speed departs too far from the setpoint the system detects this is an abnormal situation and disengages the cruise control.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Does it make that huge Magnetic thunk when it quits working? I wonder if maybe it needs a better pickup signal?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Corwyn, you could also try to contact FAS directly.
Where is the unit mounted, and how is the cable routed? Do you have pictures?

The unit is mounted under the back seat, on the firewall above the heater. Peace Vans did the install and they have tried to help, but . . . no joy. checked the fuses, the cable connection at the throttle linkage (automatic) and the brake lights work.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread . . .

~ Captain Ron ~
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Page 19 shows the troubleshooting:

https://www.rostra.com/manuals/ultracruise-2_Form2784A.pdf

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

You da bomb! Thanks! Dancing

~ Captain Ron ~
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
You da bomb! Thanks! Dancing

there is a ton of info out there on these units in many different installs. Google is your friend.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra / GW Cruise control DIP Switch settings? Reply with quote

a2, in your initial chart you have switch 10 (VSS Source) in the OFF position, but then later on in this thread it shows that it's in the ON position. Did your VSS Source change?

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
I got my Rostra cruise setup installed a little while ago. The VSS I got from FleaBay was DOA so I waited a month for GW to ship during the pandemic.

It's a standard Rostra kit, not the GW modified one. It's installed per GW basic instructions on location and throttle connection. 2.1L, 2wd, Manual.

Anyway. I started with the recommended settings that GW had on their instructions. That surged +3-5mph then feel off a cliff to -5mph and recovered.

I found this chart someone has posted a couple years ago and made an adjustment to the "old blue current," settings for gain and reaction. That's better but still not as smooth as I think it can be.

Here is a chart I made and my setting / notes including motor / tranny info.

I think I read somewhere (can't find it now,) that adjusting the VSS signals per mile can help the GW VSS?

Of those that have installed a Rostra, what is everyone else running and on what setups?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: