Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cordless Mowers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with Cordless electric lawnmowers? Good? Bad? Otherwise?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I bought a Ryobi 40 volt last year. So far am pleased.
good for small lots like my city lot. I usually can get 2 mowings out of a single charge. No more screwed up carbs to deal with. Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I have the 40v ryobi self propelled" and it is fine for someone like above, small city lot short grass and going to keep up on it. I also have a 40v weed whacker and edger/ pole saw attachments, and 40v blower

It is not good at deep grass. it just doesn't have the power to do it, it bogs down. not a lot of suction either to pick up leaves while mowing. I'm on a 12K sq ft lot, but a huge driveway and a big pool, I can get it mowed and edged and blown on 2 batteries. I really like it except if I get lazy and don't mow the back, the next mow is a PITA

I will probably be buying a used gas one from the small repair shop down the street. If you are near Houston TX I will sell mine half price it only has 10 mows on it Laughing
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I started a thread on the Kobalt cordless mower - it wasn't self propelled and I live in a neighborhood. Someone gave it to me when my gas one died. Takes me about 50 minutes to mow the grass at a good walking pace with the gas mower. The first problem was that one battery wouldn't do the whole yard so I wound up buying more batteries. And as an above poster mentioned, it doesn't work well in longer grass. I finally went out and bought another gas mower. I do like my battery weedeater and blower, though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699873&highlight=
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I love my kobalt 80v pushmower and weedwacker. Works like a charm. Tall grass no problem. It's got a clever mower height adjustment mechanism, it self regulates how much energy it needs and it's easy on/off while mowing in a yard littered with dog toys. It came with 2 batteries and a fast charger - 2 batteries covers about 1/4 acre. Can mulch or bag clippings. Only negatives are a pretty small clippings bag, and pretty cheapo loosy goosey wheels.

Sometimes there are good sales at Lowes around father's day.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I have one of these growing up and it never needed to be charged.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I got a lead-acid battery powered Black & Decker 21 years ago. It lasted about 10 years (replaced the battery once). Enjoyed the quietness (sounded like I was vacuuming the lawn) and the lack of exhaust smell.

The push-reel mowers made you pay if you ignored you lawn. Certainly gave you incentive to get out regularly.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
I started a thread on the Kobalt cordless mower - it wasn't self propelled and I live in a neighborhood. Someone gave it to me when my gas one died. Takes me about 50 minutes to mow the grass at a good walking pace with the gas mower. The first problem was that one battery wouldn't do the whole yard so I wound up buying more batteries. And as an above poster mentioned, it doesn't work well in longer grass. I finally went out and bought another gas mower. I do like my battery weedeater and blower, though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699873&highlight=

Wow. I searched "cordless" and got nothing. I guess I should have searched "battery" or mower. Thanks for the link.

Mike T

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I look forward to when Flymo makes a robotic unit.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I look forward to when Flymo makes a robotic unit.

Heh, heh, heh,... what could possibly go wrong?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I love my kobalt 80v pushmower and weedwacker. Works like a charm. Tall grass no problem. It's got a clever mower height adjustment mechanism, it self regulates how much energy it needs and it's easy on/off while mowing in a yard littered with dog toys. It came with 2 batteries and a fast charger - 2 batteries covers about 1/4 acre. Can mulch or bag clippings. Only negatives are a pretty small clippings bag, and pretty cheapo loosy goosey wheels.

Sometimes there are good sales at Lowes around father's day.

I had the 40 volt which wasn't sufficient for what I needed. But then again it was given to me. I suspect the self-propelled 80 volt is much better and might have worked for me. I also have the battery powered hedge trimmer and I like it too.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I have a Greenworks 40V mower with a 19" deck. My property is about 1/4 acre and much of it (sadly) is lawn.
I got is used really cheap, otherwise I would have gone for a more powerful mower with a wider deck. Having said that it generally works very well. When the grass is short I can mow the whole lawn in one charge in about 45 minutes. When the grass is long and wet it takes two charges and about 1.5 hours all in. The motor ramps up and uses more juice.
I have a weed wacker and leaf blower that use the same battery system so I like the system as a whole and being able to buy bare tools cheaply since I already have two batteries and chargers.
The bag is too small and it sits at kind of a high angle so it doesn't fill completely before the chute is clogged. That's my only real complaint.
I love using cordless electric tools over gas and would do it again but probably with a 60 or 80V system and a wider deck for my yard.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Last edited by photogdave on Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

I have about 2 acres to mow and I have a 50" Cub Cadet lawn tractor to mow that. Some of it is not accessible to the Cub. I need a small, light, maneuverable easy to use unit and I think cordless is the ticket.
I had a Lawn Boy 2 cycle but at 22 yrs old I am tired of fighting with it. It was great but time to move on.

Mike T

grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I still have moms after she passed in 2007.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

It didn't need a recharge, but the kid pushing it did. Every night for at least eight hours. Laughing
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Same here. My father used it as a motivational tool. It was not well maintained. I remember having to get a running start to overcome the resistance and was only able to get a few feet before it stopped cutting. If I could talk to my younger self, I would have taken it apart, lubed it, and adjusted/sharpened the blades.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
.....It was not well maintained. I remember having to get a running start to overcome the resistance and was only able to get a few feet before it stopped cutting. If I could talk to my younger self, I would have taken it apart, lubed it, and adjusted/sharpened the blades.

And that was a fairly big part of me becoming mechanically inclined later in life, I figured out if I oiled and adjusted it the job went way faster.
Ours was a 1920's vintage Taylor Forbes with cast iron wheels, that thing built lots of character.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
I have about 2 acres to mow and I have a 50" Cub Cadet lawn tractor to mow that. Some of it is not accessible to the Cub. I need a small, light, maneuverable easy to use unit and I think cordless is the ticket.
I had a Lawn Boy 2 cycle but at 22 yrs old I am tired of fighting with it. It was great but time to move on.

Mike T

I do the same - use a riding mower for the main lawn, and the cordless electric mower for the deer-proofed orchards and garden areas that the riding mower is too large for.

One other perk I forgot to mention is that it is very quiet. It's not uncommon for me to do my small area mowing at dusk when it's cooler. I never feel guilty about causing noise pollution in the neighborhood.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Green works twin blade model

I do both my and my Moms next door, o.6 acre each on two batteries, unless I let it go long, then I need to change out one battery.

The twin blade model is much better than the single 21 inch
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordless Mowers Reply with quote

Yesterday I bought a Kobalt 40 Max self propelled 20" mower. Came with battery and charger. Used it this afternoon. Most cool. Quiet. Mowed for 30 - 40 minutes. All the power I needed and narrow enough to get in where I needed to get. Main reason that I bought it. Power left when I was done. The memorial day sale helped on the purchase price too. Thanks to all who posted their experience.

Mike T

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: