Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

The BFG's on my front were quite worn out as I put off rebuilding my front suspension for too long. Although I rebuilt my front end several years ago, the damage was done so they wore out way before the rears. I just replaced the fronts with the new BFG all terrains last weekend. I have to say that the new ones are way more aggressive looking than the old versions and look quite beastly indeed. I love how they look on my van! Wish I could afford to purchase a pair for the back so they match.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

I'd put them in the rear while waiting for another pair.. the rear is where the traction that moves the van.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I'd put them in the rear while waiting for another pair.. the rear is where the traction that moves the van.

surprised the tire store did that. most won't put new tires on the front. it is unsafe.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

Please clarify. Why is it unsafe? I would think it would be safer to have more tread in the front, since the risk of hydroplaning or loosing control while turning is increased if you had less tread on the front. But I can always move them to the rear.
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

https://www.allstate.com/blog/new-tires-rear/

You guys were right. Will install them on the rear.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

Personally, I'd say put both of them either on the left side, or the right side. Then at least half the people you drive by will thinking "Wow! Awesome" Applause
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

Loving the 15" Fuchs...and the tires. What size are the bfg's?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

They look much burlier in your photo than the photo on tirerack.com. Must be the wheels or the van or something...

Well done on the learning. 2/32nd of a difference as stated in the blogpost is pretty small. Chalk another one up for the samba.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

If those are 15" tires then they're 215/75 R15 load rated at 100/97. The 235/75s are load rated at 104/101.

(Yes, I've been shopping these for a month or two and have had them in my tirerack shopping cart for a week. They'll be my first departure from Nokians in three sets of tires. Looking forward to trying something different. bla bla...)

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
uberaudi wrote:

If those are 15" tires then they're 215/75 R15 load rated at 100/97. The 235/75s are load rated at 104/101.

(Yes, I've been shopping these for a month or two and have had them in my tirerack shopping cart for a week. They'll be my first departure from Nokians in three sets of tires. Looking forward to trying something different. bla bla...)

That makes sense, they're the only option! Thanks for clarifying.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
uberaudi wrote:

That makes sense, they're the only option! Thanks for clarifying.

Ask me three months from now and I'll have no idea. i'll be chasing the next squirrel. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

How’s the road noise?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

^^^That's my biggest concern. I've found the Nokian WRC3s to be slightly louder than the very quiet WRG3s and I wonder if the K02s will be a lot noisier.

Abscate wrote:

Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

215/75/15's. Road noise is negligible but my exhaust is not stock so it can be hard to differentiate noise.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

I recently switched from Nokians to the KO2s at 215/75/15 and drove them cross country. I did not notice any tire noise increase.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

^^^ That's good news. I'll be getting the K02s in the next week or two...

Abscate wrote:

Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

With you guys that have 2WDs, are you finding rubbing issues? I’m assuming you all (including the Syncro bubbas) went with the smaller sized 215/75R15 over the 30/9.5R15??

I currently have 205/65R15s which has height of 25.5” and 8.1” width. I can’t imagine going to 30” of the 30/9.5s. The 215/75s have a 27.7” height and even then I’m not sure there’s enough room to avoid rubbing.
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

2157515 is fine, thousands have done it ^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

With my stock 2WD the issue wasn't the 215/75 tires, but the 15" SA steel wheels. You can't use lead weights or they will rub the spindle. Tires clear the UCA without issue.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: The new BFG's are here!!! I'm somebody now!!! Reply with quote

I have 215/75/15 BFG KO2s on 15" Rheins and no no issues with rubbing on the suspension.

However I do get some rubbing on the front wheel well lip if turning and compressing the suspension, like entering a driveway apron. But I only am at 16" from axle to fender lip so I first need to get some more height...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: