Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Hello All,
So I am going to pull the trigger to replace my horribly screwed up instrument foil with a "new technology" kit. Looking for some guidance.

Van Cafe sells the GoWesty kit which seems to get good reviews here and elsewhere but is more expensive. (Sold out at GoWesty.. but it looks like Van Cafe has some)

The Vangaon.org one is affordable but the version that I need (84 Wolfsburg Westy) is sold out. Have not heard back yet on when they will have more.

Campervan Culture has one that is also affordable. Can not find any feedback on that one here.

So.. comments, pros, and cons on these various options please?
Are there other kits out there?

Thanks in advance....
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

I have no experience either way...but this is also an option now

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2367183

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154433611260033/permalink/2868130666556967/
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

I'm thinking of giving this a try. Like the clock, looks like he's been working on it for a while if you check out the YouTube vids.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

I bought the vanagon.org harness because it was the cheapest and I'm cheap. Works as advertised but the circuit board connection on this new harness is a little thinner than the OEM one. Ever so slightly, but enough to cause my oil buzzer to go off. I had to bend up the spring contacts in the van's harness plug to apply more pressure on the new unit's board when connected. If that makes any sense. Zero issues since.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

The SA Cluster Master kit from Eric at Vanagon.org is a gem and worth waiting for. I believe campervanculture.com has them in stock.
Cheers,
Jeffery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

^^ agreed. When I hooked up the Vanagon.org kit I was like wow wires that carry electrical signals fancy. It’s simple and it works.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

The site says they have the Diesel-CMDT version in stock and that should be the same as the gas one other than the color of the lowest LED.
The diesel uses a yellow led there while the gas has a red.
If that is all it is then it isn't an important difference for a gas van.

Mark

Tully Mars wrote:
The Vangaon.org one is affordable but the version that I need (84 Wolfsburg Westy) is sold out. Have not heard back yet on when they will have more.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my GoWesty install of the instrument cluster harness in my 1984 westy Wolfsburg. I can't believe its been 5 years since I installed it. It is still working great and the install was easy. I was so happy to get my tachometer working again. Good luck with your decision. I don't think the vanagon.org one was available at the time and GoWesty gave me good support on the install.
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking of giving this a try. Like the clock, looks like he's been working on it for a while if you check out the YouTube vids.

That is a neat clock. It looks like it's just a generic lcd dot screen, it would be cool if someone could expand on the idea and add even more functions, like an external temperature reading, volt meter, etc..
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

There is yet another option: do it yourself! I did it a few years ago. If you have time, that's the way to go!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7798186#7798186

Instructions: https://www.kpcnsk.com/?p=138

PM me if you have any questions.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

I have the GW Kit installed for years. Flawless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses folks.

Vanagon.org is getting a shipment in about a week so I went ahead ordered the proper one there.

I was Very Very tempted to get the one advertised here that comes from Taiwan. 100 bucks from Taiwan versus 170 Vanagon.org. But given shipping times and my inclination to support our US Vanagon vendors... I have spent the extra bucks.
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

I installed the GoWesty version on our ‘91 2.1L a few years back - easily to install and worked great. I liked that you could kill the “RPM oil pressure” buzzer with a flip of a dip switch - handy while we we’re dealing with hot oil on long drives in triple digit temps (we have a tired engine but an oil gauge installed).

Only flaw I found is the little board with the tachometer pins seems to come off easily - I’ve twice now lost the tach upon re-assembling the cluster to the dash and had to take it back out to properly secure it.

I just recently installed Vanagon.org’s Diesel CMBDT for my ‘91 1.9L AAZ European doka, install was easy and worked like a charm.

Both up grades were well worth it in my opinion.

Tempted to try the clock offered in the Samba classifieds but other more pressing things to address first....
KarHaus1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: OXY led light in dash Reply with quote

I replaced my instrument foil with the Cluster kit from Vanagon.com. They say that my OXY red LED light on the bottom right should light with the battery and oil pressure lights when the ignition is turned 'on' before starting engine. My OXY light does not come on. Does someone have an '84 Westy with the water-cooled Digijet engine that can confirm or not that the warning light briefly comes on before engine start? I cannot seem to find the answer to this in my owners materials or my Bentley manual and just don't remember if it came on before the foil fix. Thank you.
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Another vote for the GW kit. Worked perfectly, took about an hour.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
zandon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

'84 Westy all original: key on before engine start... battery light on, oil light on, oxy light on, and flashing water temp light.
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

Just noticed that I never followed up on this. I ended up going with this kit from Taiwan, with Kai. Honestly a great kit and no issues. Would recommend again for another alternative and believe he sells them on Ebay.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Has anybody used any of these replacement kits (GoWesty, Vanagon.org, Kai from Taiwan) on a van with a Subaru (EJ25) conversion? Are they compatible or is there anything that needs to be changed/modified?

My clock is shot, my tachometer stopped working a couple weeks ago, my dash lights are flaky, the usual... Very Happy

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
KarHaus1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

Zandon - thank you very much. I'll now check the Oxy sensor and the grounding now that I know the indicator LED should light briefly when ignition is on.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

There are some clock replacement kits. I was just looking into these.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-vanagon-digital-clock-replacement-screen/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686212

https://www.gowesty.com/product/light-fixtures-parts/24626/replacement-lcd-screen-for-clock
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: