Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I did a search and the newest date was about 2015. Any of you guys currently drag racing a VW running a shock in the clutch linkage?

How about the big dogs ? Any of them running a shock or valving in a hyd clutch ?

The reason I ask is from watching VW drag racing vids. On the majority of cars the hit of the clutch really drags the motor down. Pretty often the induction system can't cope and the motor gets the staggers. It just seems like a more gradual clutch engagement might help to keep the rpm up. Might need a dual disc clutch to absorb the heat.

So in 2020 what is the thinking on anti shockers ? Thanks !!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I leave the line at 6200 rpm on a 2 step and stock clutch cable. Car leaves with no bog. Under 6k and it will bog for a second. 9” stage 2 with a kushlok or something like that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

If you’re bogging off the line, you’re not leaving at a high enough rpm. Wink

In all seriousness, any that I’ve known to try some sort of anti-shocker had issues with it allowing the clutch to slip in the higher gears. Those that I have known to have success have adapted a hydraulic set up. The line running to the slave cylinder had two pathways. One through a line lock solenoid, the other through a proportioning valve. When the line lock was actuated, the fluid went though the proportioning valve, slowing the release of the slave cylinder. A switch was positioned on the shifter, or coupler under the rear seat to actuate the solenoid while in 1st gear only. Once the car was shifted into 2nd, the solenoid opened, allowing full flow of fluid, and full release speed of the slave cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I have one on my car, but I don't really leave hard enough in 1st to need it. When I first installed it, I could tell it made a difference in how harsh a quick clutch release was, but since I've just become used to it. Honestly, I don't feel like killing the trans, as I still have a little wheel hop sometimes, so I drive it a little easier off the line.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

With a bit of ingenuity the simple hyd shock could be set up to only work on the initial hit. I have seen vids of people using a hand brake at the starting line. Hook a cable from the hand brake to the shock that would keep the shock extended when the hand brake is pulled up. After the clutch pedal is released and has collapsed the shock the shock would stay compressed. In this idea the shock [ ETA I meant CLUTCH not shock ] linkage would be pushing the shock closed and the shock has a pad that bears on the clutch linkage but is not attached to the linkage.

Last edited by rayjay on Fri May 29, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

Lots of the "big boys and girls" use what they refer to as clutch management. A few years ago everyone was using hydraulic setups, with a line lock to redirect flow to a flow control valve that allowed for a slow release in first gear. Now a lot are moving over to C02 controlled setups as it is a little easier to dial in and keep dialed.

Most aren't doing this to eliminate bogging, it's more to keep transaxles together. RLR has their Rev6 clutch setup that uses weights and such to help the clutch engage more and more as rpm increases, but allows for slippage at the hit to save trans, and keep the engine in its powerband.

I increase rpm/boost on the line until it doesn't bog anymore. Using a 2 step is a huge helper for achieving a good launch. It's too hard to manage the throttle with your foot, while trying to watch the tree. I just push the clutch which activates my launch control and then stand on the throttle. When I see that last yellow I lift off of the clutch and hang on.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
I leave the line at 6200 rpm on a 2 step and stock clutch cable. Car leaves with no bog. Under 6k and it will bog for a second. 9” stage 2 with a kushlok or something like that.
]

What does the rpm drop to at the clutch hit ? On the vids of cars that don't actually bog out they still lose a lot of rpm and this can't be ideal.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

never looked at the drop. I have a MSD power grid now and it records the data on each pass. When I run the car at Irwindale I will post the data it records.

I know the big boys that are shifting at 9500 are leaving in the 7000 range.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

The one that stands out in my mind is a 'convertible'. That thing leaves like an NHRA Pro Stocker. Lifts the front tires and carries them quite a ways. Most VWs seem to jerk the front tires up and instantly back down as the motor falls out of it's best power range.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:
]

What does the rpm drop to at the clutch hit ? On the vids of cars that don't actually bog out they still lose a lot of rpm and this can't be ideal.

I guess it depends on what your ideal is? A NHRA Pro-Stock 60fts. a little less than a second. A good street VW is maybe in the 1.50-1.70. A good race VW maybe 1.30-1.45. The 7 second cars of VW Paradise, and Richie Webb are below 1.20.

My Super didn’t bog much leaving at 3800rpm, but only managed a best 60ft. of 1.95 on a 195/65 treaded street tire, and 114hp trying to move 2180lbs.

Like Chip was saying, a two step launch rpm limiter is a must for optimum tuning. My Super would bog/spin within a few hundred rpm of 3800.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

The energy stored in the rotating mass probably goes up by an order of 4 so any small change in rpm is a large change in stored energy.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
The one that stands out in my mind is a 'convertible'. That thing leaves like an NHRA Pro Stocker. Lifts the front tires and carries them quite a ways. Most VWs seem to jerk the front tires up and instantly back down as the motor falls out of it's best power range.

probably Ritchie Webb (convertible)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
rayjay wrote:

probably Ritchie Webb (convertible)

If that’s who it is, and it is the 8.95@158 video of the pan car, 650+ at the flywheel helps A LOT.
kevinhosp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I have similar times with my car. in 1/8 mile 60 ft is everything. i leave at about the same rpm on the two step1.8 60 ft 8.77 at 78 mph. this is street tires no burn out. The more i drive it the faster i get. But the launch is everything. I am using a two step on a line lock. i have thought about a anti shocker just never tried it. sounds like i need to work on my driving

[email protected] wrote:
rayjay wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:
]

I guess it depends on what your ideal is? A NHRA Pro-Stock 60fts. a little less than a second. A good street VW is maybe in the 1.50-1.70. A good race VW maybe 1.30-1.45. The 7 second cars of VW Paradise, and Richie Webb are below 1.20.

My Super didn’t bog much leaving at 3800rpm, but only managed a best 60ft. of 1.95 on a 195/65 treaded street tire, and 114hp trying to move 2180lbs.

Like Chip was saying, a two step launch rpm limiter is a must for optimum tuning. My Super would bog/spin within a few hundred rpm of 3800.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I had one I bought from Gene Berg years ago. It was called a "Washington Anti Shocker" The action it had was not as gradual as you might think. It was more of a trans saver for high horsepower cars that had "built" transmissions and still broke one every now and then. I couldn't tell much difference in clutch action, or the amount of trans parts I broke, honestly.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

I have a number of friend racers who use the "clutch management" solenoid for first gear only.
works really well when setup correctly.

Me personally, I just use tire pressure to regulate the "hit".

I do have a bus 6-rib box with 8" slicks so I can hit it as hard as the track will allow. 1.28 60's are possible.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:

Few of us will ever reach Richie Webb status. Now the other guys, the ones that do a quick wheelie and fall on there face Yes i see this too. These are the guys with all traction, no shocks on the front, and not enuff power to carry the front wheels. They also continue bouncing down the quarter mile like a big fat dork. To me its not worth it, just run shocks, spin just a little, and get some more power before adding slicks. (And skip the needing the clutch shock theory)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

This guy has been doing a lot of experimentation on clutch release management. The last time I looked at his stuff he was still messing with a shock absorber in the clutch linkage. Now he had gone to electronics and hyd.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1167808733...mp;theater
gbaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

No CM, stage 1 and 4 puck. 7200-7400 launch. 1.30-1.45 60's and 6.60's to 6.80's.
1850 lb streetcar
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Anti-Shocker - Who is Running One ? Reply with quote

gbaker wrote:
No CM, stage 1 and 4 puck. 7200-7400 launch. 1.30-1.45 60's and 6.60's to 6.80's.
1850 lb streetcar

Care to share what you’re currently running for a driveline, and how many passes you go before servicing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: