Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight jack stand recall
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-ma...ollapsing/
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I always check and double check the catch on my jack stands to ensure the catch is as snug as can be. They didn't come from HF, but it doesn't matter. Don't trust the catch to simply fall into place as designed as you lift the Y holder, as the catch may stick and not fully engage.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I checked, sure enough they are the ones I've been using for years. they also look like every other jack stands I've seen from Northern tools, Home Depot, etc. I'm sure the same company in china makes all of them.

pawn shop hunting for jack stands this weekend. old stuff that won't break...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Mine are way older than that, so likely unaffected. I don't even think there is a sticker on them anymore.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Ive had many stands with defective latches....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

so who has jack stands that still have the label??? Confused a readable label
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Yep. Notice that the jack stands recalled are all pretty recent manufacture. labels take a few years to get scraped off with occasional abuse.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Mine are at least 4 years old maybe 6 or 7. stickers holding strong somehow, and they have been used/abused on 7-8 cars
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Just checked mine, and of course they're the 61197 iteration. Always friggin' something.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Just checked mine, and of course they're the 61197 iteration. Always friggin' something.

I just checked mine earlier today. I'm good to go.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Pretty sure mine have to go back. I may just finish what I need to do with them before I do. They are pretty much a backup anyways and I don’t get underneath what I am working on.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Wow- not sure how I escaped this recall, I just bought my 3 ton jack stands from HF last year, and they look exactly like the 3 ton stands in the link above, so I was sure they'd be the affected stands but my model # is 62392.
Good thing since I need the jack stands more than I need a HF gift card.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Hay Mark, were they of other MFG's or just HF?

I have many of different mfg... Some have the reliable pin but I sure do like the latch type... Need to check my HF ones...

Jim
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

I'm pretty sure I have the grey jackstands - I need to go check.

Of course if I exchange the jackstands, I'll end up buying more cheap/crappy tools that I don't really need on my way out of the store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

It's also not on their website that I saw. But the stands I bought are on clearance now Mad

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

It's also not on their website that I saw. But the stands I bought are on clearance now Mad

Now that is bad that they are even selling them unless they are not the same product...

I too get their email deals.. No notifications.

Jim
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Blue69Baja wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

Now that is bad that they are even selling them unless they are not the same product...

I too get their email deals.. No notifications.

Jim

As I understand it, the current stock is not what is being recalled.

I also have not received any notification from HF, and would not have known about it if not for this thread.

Several years back they had a trailer tire recall that was widely known. Pretty sure I was notified directly by HF about that one.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I have four of the 3-ton stands and I did notice that at least one of them has teeth that are machined in such a way that they don't grab well... I've never used that one.

I didn't receive an email either, but they do have it on their website:

https://www.harborfreight.com/customer-service-product-support.html#5
https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/recalls/Jack-Stand-Recall-56371_61196_61197.pdf
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Me. I store them in my garage, one still has perfectly-fine label.

I have orange 3-ton HF jack stands, maybe 10-15 years old but mine are #P38846.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

This is what you get for buying cheap chinese shit. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: