Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight jack stand recall
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Actually, after re-reading that email, I think only those listed SKUs may be returned for a refund. He listed 4 recalled SKUs and 8 more SKUs that may be returned. If your SKUs don't match any of those, then it looks like you can't return them.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I got a regular letter in the mail the other day about the recall. I have two sets of the affected stands . I don't have the letter on hand at the moment but the condensed version is they have a replacement or you can get your money back.
When I use the stands I always leave the jack in place with light pressure on it for extra safety & makes it convenient to take the stands out. Some time back two of the them failed on me. Luckily I caught it before it was in use . At that time it had been so long since purchase I never considered a refund so I did what I thought to fix but have only been using the two newer ones. I'll repost once I get the replacements.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Three modes of elevation for me

1 tire change. No body parts going under car , car never being left alone.
Car jack or pump jack fine

2 car work , or car will be left.
Jack up, jack stand under frame , wood crib backup.

3 engine/ transmission/suspension work
Jack stands symmetry
Cars rests on 6x6 cribbing one frame

Don’t be this guy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

How’s this look to you?

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Looks fine from here. If I were going under there and really having to yank on something like a rear trans hanger bolt, I would back them up somehow with wood or spare tires maybe.

Glad I have a scissor lift. I can use it for everything from a moped to a full size Chevy truck. No issues with stability.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I got a regular letter in the mail the other day about the recall. I have two sets of the affected stands . I don't have the letter on hand at the moment but the condensed version is they have a replacement or you can get your money back.

Interesting. I wonder if others will get the letter, too.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Looks fine from here. If I were going under there and really having to yank on something like a rear trans hanger bolt, I would back them up somehow with wood or spare tires maybe.

Glad I have a scissor lift. I can use it for everything from a moped to a full size Chevy truck. No issues with stability.

Shocked dang! how easy is that to move around? what do you do for a pan based car like a bug or 911? Really, a full size truck? my GMC crew cab?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

It is a Bend Pak 6K. It is rated for 6K pounds. It weighs about 900 pounds, and is mobile with the use of the pump unit/wheeled dolly. It plugs into 110V outlets.

I would not want to move it multiple times a day, but it isn't too tough to do with a nice slab.

It usually stays in one bay of my shop. I built a plywood table to go over it, and it is right now serving as an outfeed table for my table saw.

It is without a doubt, the best tool I have ever purchased.

Link

EDIT: I have lifted several bugs on this. No big deal, and the arms are fully adjustable.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Nice!

until I realized how much of a problem I think I'd have with lowered cars
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Incidentally, I noticed that Harbor Freight has removed almost all of the jack stands from their website. The 3-ton aluminum stands are the only jack stands they have listed.

I'm sure their in-house legal team is demanding that they get out of the jack-stand business altogether. Not sure if that's why the stands are gone, or if this is only temporary until they can solve their problems (or paint all the stands a new color...).
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Nice!

I have a couple of eight foot 2x10's that I lay on either side of the lift for lowered cars. Could easily stack a couple of them if needed. It really isn't an issue considering the advantage of having the lift.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
It is a Bend Pak 6K. It is rated for 6K pounds. It weighs about 900 pounds, and is mobile with the use of the pump unit/wheeled dolly. It plugs into 110V outlets.

I would not want to move it multiple times a day, but it isn't too tough to do with a nice slab.

It usually stays in one bay of my shop. I built a plywood table to go over it, and it is right now serving as an outfeed table for my table saw.

That's pretty nice. I have this, but it doesn't really compare https://www.kwik-lift.com/
I think my best tool purchase thus far is my Derek Weaver Euro-style tire changing machine https://www.derekweaver.com/tire-changers/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Did the picture of Boeing 737 on jack scare you? You oughta see that thing on jacks while testing landing gear.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Did the picture of Boeing 737 on jack scare you? You oughta see that thing on jacks while testing landing gear.

Huh? What plane and who is scared?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
How’s this look to you?

Wouldn’t go under it withOut cribbing backup,

Putting up a car in four jack stands is tough but I think you nailed it.

Last edited by Abscate on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Huh? What plane and who is scared?

I think maybe another senior moment? I thought he was going to berate people about shopping at harbor freight again again again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Probably the management here took it down because technically the photo had no VW content. It did however show industrial Jack 25 ton aircraft very similar to consumer Jack. Difference being the piston is threaded so even if you lose hydraulic it won’t fall.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Nice!

I know that you know about this so I’ll show this Rube Goldberg thing soes somebody else can get an idea. A few drywall screws and a 2x8x10 and bingo lowered car ramps. Too many beers made it hard for me to squeeze under the Prius Very Happy

And yes there is VW content here, see cylinder heads on table😀
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Wow cdennisg it's really nice and low to the ground. That guy makes moving it look so easy. I'm not fooled everything heavy is difficult to move. Wink

cdennisg wrote:

Link

EDIT: I have lifted several bugs on this. No big deal, and the arms are fully adjustable.

cdennisg wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
How’s this look to you?

I'd be scared out of my mind to crawl under there

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: