Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

Just completed a 2 week roadtrip across the American West with the family: Montana to CA, into the Sierras, then back to MT. The trip has revealed I can no longer put off rebuilding key items... Nothing like white-knuckle driving a hightop through the Nevada desert being buffeted by 50+ mph wind sheers, or feeling every single washboard on miles of gravel roads, to secure the Wife's approval for necessary upgrades.

I would appreciate the collective Braintrust's advice on best options, strategy, and timing. And yes, for the record I do subscribe to the "while you're there..." repair mentality.

Here's a summary of the current situation:

-KYB (I know, horrific) shocks F + R
-unknown springs / ride height is currently 18.75" R + 19" F
-mixture of somewhat new, old, or abused German black rubber bushings throughout front and rear
-stock trailing arms, control arms, tie rods, roll bar, axles and CVs
-16" Mefro steel wheels with Geolander rubber in summer & Nokian Hakkas studded in winter. Pleased with these choices but open to new ideas for body roll/handling considerations
-Power steering rack rebuilt somewhat recently, old PS line is leaking but a new hose replacement is on-hand
-Weight: Weekender interior, lots of gear. Roof rack and rear bumper swing out storage builds in progress.

Driving Types:

-50% pavement
-30% gravel/washboard road
-20% crawling to remote campsites or otherwise stock CV-endangering behavior
-Mostly N Rockies with regular desert trips, water crossings, and severe elements & temperature exposure

Main Concerns With Existing Configuration:

-Body Roll in corners and especially in wind on the hwy
-Serious front end dive in dips even when crawling
-Original CVs are getting long in the tooth and at least 2x are showing visible wear: recent clicking ID'd and temporarily solved through re-grease and rotation. About 200k on em
-Washboards rattle the van and the fillings in my teeth. I have a Viair 300p and do air up/air down appropriately with limited improvement. Gotta be a better way...
- EG33 hangs pretty low in rear: let's increase clearance under the oil pan/skid bars
-I would also like a suspension capable of handling occasional light towing and occasional bumper weight up to 300 lbs. I'm beefing up a new-to-me R GoWesty bumper to handle the towing and anticipated tongue weight demands.
-Several tie rods and ball joints are also looking like crap and feeling loose
-Most rubber underneath, such as for the steering rack, is also falling apart and shortening mechanical lifespan.

What I'm Thinking...

...For the Lift
-Schwenk Syncro lift springs + custom valved Bilsteins or a Trailmaster set

...For the Body Roll & Steering
-T3 HD Rollbar and HD endlinks
-Replace all OEM german rubber/bushings with poly F + R
-Replace tie rods and ball joints
-Clean, lube, and go through all the other bits

While I'm there:
-Service diffs, service syncro driveshaft, another Swepco trans oil change
-Wheel bearings maintenance or R&R
-R&R the power steering line with new hose

Questions:

-Between Trailmaster and Schwenk/Bilstein: which option and why? Considering my driving terrain and occasional towing/heavy bumper weight should i consider something else?

-I'm leaning towards a 940 axle and CV conversion. My understanding is that I probably don't need 930s and 940s are a bit easier on maintenance/don't require as much reconfiguration in the drivetrain. Thoughts?

-As a moderately capable DIY Vanagon owner should I consider replacing my very destroyed looking upper control arms with Burley's adjustable set? If you have Burley's custom set I'd appreciate your feedback and experience.

-What am I missing?

Gratuitous pictures from our recent trip...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

Install poly steering rack bushings. Noticable improvement, easy to install and cheap.
Shocks are the obvious suspect at this point.
A lift won't help your body roll.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

Similar high top/Syncro here. I have all poly front end & steering rack bushings, T3 oversized sway bar, and my van does pretty well in the wind. Schwenk spring and Old Man Emu shocks. The only time I really got beat up was when I caught the front of a very powerful cold front in Wyoming, but even little cars were getting blown all over the place that afternoon. Mine does well aired down on washboard but I agree it can be a hassle.

I'm happy with my setup, but I'm a bit thrifty. As far as the upgrades you're considering and if money is no object, I'd just do everything that Ron (SyncroJael) has done to his High Top Syncro. He has the best of everything.

And while I don't have firsthand experience, I'm told by multiple sources that his Syncro rides like a Ferrari Cadillac regardless of road/trail conditions.

In any case, document your upgrades here!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

Small Car still sells a shortened aluminum oil pan for the SVX motors. I bought one this winter, but have yet to installed it. The quality is very good and it should give me at least 2 to 3 inches more clearance from the stock SVX oil pan.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...m-oil-pan/

I also have the T3 Heavy Duty Sway bar and End Links. There is a noticeable improvement for sure and the quality is A+.

Nice looking Syncro! Good luck with your upgrades.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

I have upgraded all the suspension, steering, and drive-train recently.

Burley upper control arms are really nice because you can dial in the alignment. Also nice to have a grease zerk fitting. To me it is worth the money.

I went with Schwenk Zero Lift Springs on the GW (kit) Fox Adjustable Remote Reservoir Shocks. You can set your front ride height with the adjustable perch. On the rear you just use spacers to set the ride height. I really have fallen in love with the adjustable shocks. Off road turn them down soft and with your tires aired down you can smooth out most all of even the worst washboard roads. My wife always comments how nice the marshmallow rides when I do this. Once I hit the pavement I use the middle settings on the front and a few clicks higher on the rear. If the wind is blowing I set them all to firm and it really makes cross winds a breeze to control. More like riding on rails. But the ride is very firm.

You do need to make sure all of your steering components are up to specifications. All ball joints, tie-rods, bushings, bearings, and steering rack, needs a good looking into. Also the T3 Heavy Duty Sway Bar and End Links are a must. I replaced all bushings everywhere with poly and am very happy with the results. Much better on turns, less body roll, and in wind there is less buffeting movement. I keep my tires aired up to max 50psi in the rear and 5lbs less in the front. This has been a good combination for the road. BFG K02 225/70/16s. I am running 16in wheels with a little less profile than I used to. This has helped also from my 215/75/15 tires.

Remember a lift is counter productive on these heavy vans. But to fit larger tires and keep clearance from rubbing it is a necessity. I set right at 19" on all four corners when loaded at 6400lbs. I have dropped mine down from 19.75". Just lift enough for tire clearance. Yeah, tall vans look cool, but there is a price to be paid in handling and performance. Especially fuel mileage.

With a high top our vans are now really "High Profile Vehicles". Regardless of what you do we will feel the wind more. But I never have felt white-knuckled or even in the worst conditions been moved out of my lane. We also crossed the mid-west recently (wonderful Wyoming) during high wind warnings and never had an issue or felt uncomfortable driving. You will get moved around from the wind regardless in our Bricks. I followed a few Motor Homes and they were scary to watch. Trucks with Campers were just out of control. And these are newer rigs. Shocked

The steering, suspension, and braking systems really need to be upgraded or at least in very good condition. Yes, it is expensive but work on each system as you can fund it. You will be happy with your results.

What I did works for me. I am not saying it is the best because there are many more different components out there that may result in even better performance.

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Fri May 22, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Advice - Syncro Suspension, Steering, Drivetrain Upgrades Reply with quote

Helpful feedback all - cheers.

@SyncroJael - Thank you for the thorough beta on your overhaul in particular. Good considerations to keep in mind.

Frugality tempered with reliability means I'm looking at three stages of work and probably inherent compromises: sway bar and end links; shocks & springs; lastly steering and drivetrain. After a bit more research presently debating Trailmaster HD vs custom Bilsteins + Schwenk springs. Will try and document as I go.

Safe travels all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: