Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Super rear fender options
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Hi all,
Discovered on my ‘75 that due to a rear end accident parts from a ‘74 Super were used in repair years ago. Body shop never had it fitting correctly. Took me some time scratching my head, cussing and losing sleep but finally figured they installed ‘74 rear fenders and tried to make a stock ‘75 shock mount system work. They also redrilled the bumper for positioning but it was off. Now looking for the correct fenders. Anyone know where good fitting new fenders can be sourced? I know a bunch of places have them BUT which ones are the best. Restoring this La Grande back to factory look.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

While I can't speak for their quality from experience, Mid America Motorworks seems to know all about the fender differences. Maybe someone who has experience in buying fenders can give you a better answer.

I hope you post photos of your La Grande as you restore it. I missed out on a '75 La Grande that looks like a '74 Sun Bug, but ended up in a '74 Sun Bug anyhow. What color is yours?

https://content.mamotorworksmedia.com/production/w...r_ID_2.pdf
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Look in the classifieds here or post a WTB. original fenders are better than the aftermarket junk. 75-79 are the same
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I am the second owner of this beautiful Ancona blue completely stock. Bought it from my neighbor 3 years ago and she loved it! Very minimal rust and was garaged here in the Pacific NW. Lucky to own this one.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

60ragtop gave the answer I was afraid of: A restored original is still better quality than what is being offered in the current aftermarket.

An Ancona Blue La Grande is a beautiful and unique Volkswagen. I hope you post photos. Pepperbilly, if you don't have The Car of the Century books and want the information on your car that the second volume provides, I'll be glad to get it to you.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Hey creative native,
Not familiar with Car of the Century books. What is that?
Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Pepperbilly, The Car of the Century books are a two volume set that was created by a man called J. Garwood, who worked for VW and decided to gather all the technical data for Beetles and Super Beetles from (volume 1) 1930-1960 and (volume 2) 1961-1980. The information is indispensable, ranging from seat frame colors (with color codes) to paint colors to headliner material to drivetrain information, etc. He organized the information on a year by year basis with noted changes.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Well, that sounds like a must have! How do I obtain something like this?
Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

These books are out of print. I bought mine many years ago and have held onto them like sacred texts. That's why I offered to get you the '75 La Grande information. Mr. Garwood made The Journey and left the publishing and the possibility of reprints in legal limbo.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

I would love to have this info. How do we go about doing this?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

I will gather the information and send it to you here in a private message. I should have that ready tomorrow.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Thanks very much! Really appreciate this.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Super rear fender options Reply with quote

Pepperbilly, I sent you a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: