Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Need help with brakes Reply with quote

I had a sticking front left brake shoe, and the front right drum had damage on the outer ring, so I decided to replace the drums, bearings, wheel cylinders, shoes, and hardware. My brake pedal was firm after one pump so I figured after new parts and bleeding they'd be fine and I didn't replace the master cylinder.

The right side went in with no problems. It bleed with no issues and pedal firmness was somewhat restored. I moved to the left side and got everything installed no problem.

I went to bleed the left side. At first it was working normally. I just about was satisfied all the air was out. I told my wife to pump it up again and she said "Oh. Something just felt like a seal just popped. Now the pedal goes all the way to the floor."

Arrggg...

So when I try to bleed I just get air. The system is compressing air but no fluid. And yes, my reservoir is full. I don't see any leaks anywhere.

Did my MC fail? Why can I still compress air if there is a leak somewhere that's just not leaking fluid?

I am frustrated. I had to come in and shoot it past you guys before I go back and start pulling stuff apart and testing things. I want to make sure my master cylinder is getting fluid, so I'll go pull the front hose off and see if I get brake fluid all over everywhere...

Any help/insight/encouragement is appreciated.

My wife just proofread this and again commented they were working fine and all of a sudden just lost pressure...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with brakes Reply with quote

Could also be a collapsed/bulged soft brake line, or a leak into the tunnel.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with brakes Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Could also be a collapsed/bulged soft brake line, or a leak into the tunnel.

I didn't think of a tunnel leak. The PO installed new SS hoses that still look new and were functioning so I left them alone.

But the tunnel leak... I'm going to go check around in the car by feel and smell and see if I come up with anything.

Thanks - Jim
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with brakes Reply with quote

doesn't seem to be leaking under the carpet along the tunnel or up front where it passes through the firewall. I checked the rear T and hoses, lines, everywhere. I am not leaking fluid anywhere.

I'm tempted to just install a new master cylinder.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with brakes Reply with quote

I ordered a new master cylinder 2 day express. I didn't order lines. I've spent way over 1k on parts in the last 2 months. I runs great now. I'm close to resolving my last electrical gremlin which involved a lot of time and wire (waiting on a relay and I should be done with that.) But my funds aren't endless and my lines all actually look ok. I'm sitting on new struts and rear shocks, ball joints, etc once I get past my brake issue. I'll buy brake lines if I have to, but...

So my plan is get the old MC removed toady. I have some blue hose so I'l re-do the lines from reservoir to MC and get all set for the install tomorrow. Then I'll bleed the fronts, bleed the rears, and bleed the fronts again. Hopefully it all works out for me, right?

Thanks for reading - Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: