Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

numbers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

By the number you do not have the stock 6V swingaxle that would have come in a '64. I'll guess you have a stock 12V swigaxle out of a 67-78. No telling what is inside if it has been rebuilt.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

Here is transmission codes....Should be another set of numbers on case...

http://www.vw-resource.com/transaxle.html#codes

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

need a bigger picture of the transmission showing what type it is. IRS? Swing Axle? Type II? The numbers are not helping identify the transmission and probably will not.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

A photo of the transmission numbers. In the correct place and very straight so implying factory. I know the corrosion is hiding them in the picture. They are easier to see in reality but can't see a letter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

Pictures would help, also these pages:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658674
http://vw.zenseeker.net/Transaxle.htm

Hard to tell what the numbers mean if it's been rebuilt at any time and stamped with those numbers.

I'll go check my '67 swing axle and see if I find anything like that and report back.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

Thanks for the info people. Can anyone help me with the transmission 9947051 that doesn't have any letters in front of it?
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
If your engine comes up as a 1966, 1300, you cant go by that, because the 1300 case had the same size hole for cylinders as a 1500, or 1600, and could also take slip in 87 and 88 cylinders, only the heads had to be changed, and could even be upgraded to a dual port. So, chances are that at this point in time its been rebuilt at least once, and as what?

I've had the heads off to investigate and refurbish. Fitted new piston rings, it's a 1600. So new barrels and pistons at some point.
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

erichevy wrote:
From JBUGS site...

F0, F1, F2 engine code = 1966-1970 - 1300cc 40bhp DIN, 50HP SAE (only 1966 in USA, 66-70 elsewhere)

Thanks for that. I had some conflicting info. What you have said or that F2 engines were only exchange units.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

You may like to register on the UK buggy club site for more specific info Very Happy

http://www.beachbuggy.info
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

If your engine comes up as a 1966, 1300, you cant go by that, because the 1300 case had the same size hole for cylinders as a 1500, or 1600, and could also take slip in 87 and 88 cylinders, only the heads had to be changed, and could even be upgraded to a dual port. So, chances are that at this point in time its been rebuilt at least once, and as what?
erichevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

From JBUGS site...

F0, F1, F2 engine code = 1966-1970 - 1300cc 40bhp DIN, 50HP SAE (only 1966 in USA, 66-70 elsewhere)
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: numbers Reply with quote

I'm restoring a GP Buggy with, I believe is a 1964 frame (number 718927). Engine number F2078327. Transmission 9947051. As its a buggy, it's a hybrid creature. Could anyone confirm what year engine is but of most interest transmission. It has no letters before the numbers (I can see). I have gone through the charts but I am none the wiser. I know these type of questions have been asked a million times before but I'd like to know what I have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: