Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting issues on a 1969 beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

About a week ago I took the battery out to do some cleaning and repairs on the floor of the car. Fast forward to now I was so excited that I got the car to where I wanted it to be and I go to start and the starter goes but nothing starts. It’s getting gas but the spark is the issue I think. I changed the spark plugs and wires to the cap but I have a new cap and rotor and etc to change. It tries to start as in I can hear it try to start but it still floods. What can my problem be? The old rotor and other parts? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

It may be as easy as the spark plug wires are in the wrong order. Check there before you start messing around with the carburetor or anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Since you mention that you changed the spark plugs and wires, and now it doesn't start, logic would tend to suggest that you did something wrong while changing the plugs and/or wires. Most common would be getting the firing order wrong when hooking up the new wires.
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Since you mention that you changed the spark plugs and wires, and now it doesn't start, logic would tend to suggest that you did something wrong while changing the plugs and/or wires. Most common would be getting the firing order wrong when hooking up the new wires.

It wouldn’t even start before I went changing anything is what I’m confused about
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

How about posting a photo of your engine bay so we can take a look?
Did you ever get your wiring up front figured out? With the mess going on up there I would not be surprised if its a wiring issue.
How do you know you are getting gas to the engine?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
How about posting a photo of your engine bay so we can take a look?
Did you ever get your wiring up front figured out? With the mess going on up there I would not be surprised if its a wiring issue.
How do you know you are getting gas to the engine?

I never had the wiring figured out. The relays in the car are coming on Wednesday I believe but i took the fuel line to the carb off and tried to start the car and put that line in a jar and I had gas coming out of it. That’s how I was told to check that. But here are some pictures added in to maybe help. I was so close to having it be ready to get insured and on the road but my luck always stops me haha. Thanks again!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Update I sprayed some starting fluid in it and tried to start it and it started real slow and I didn’t have time to try to hit the gas to keep it going since i don’t have seats in it at the moment. I don’t know what else I can check for to be the problem
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Bertsuko88 wrote:
it started real slow

I have zero idea what this means

Bertsuko88 wrote:
I didn’t have time to try to hit the gas to keep it going since i don’t have seats in it at the moment. I don’t know what else I can check for to be the problem

Huh? Heard of a folding chair? Heard of a wooden box?? Or concrete blocks???

I'd try that again, and tell us something "concrete" !!! Pun intended !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bertsuko88 wrote:
it started real slow

I have zero idea what this means

Bertsuko88 wrote:
I didn’t have time to try to hit the gas to keep it going since i don’t have seats in it at the moment. I don’t know what else I can check for to be the problem

Huh? Heard of a folding chair? Heard of a wooden box?? Or concrete blocks???

I'd try that again, and tell us something "concrete" !!! Pun intended !

It idled very low for a couple of seconds and it was really smokey
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Is that fuel pump pivot pin without a c clip and starting to back out? Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Is that fuel pump pivot pin without a c clip and starting to back out? Shocked

I don’t know what you are talking about. What exactly is it?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536315&highlight=pivot

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

The fuel pump pin Kevin is referring to is this:

It should have a circlip on it to prevent it from backing out of the stand. If it backs out too far your fuel pump will no longer function.

But, I also notice that your spark plug wires seem to be out of order around the distributor cap. (It looks like they might be one off counterclockwise from where they should be but I can't tell for sure.)

Here is where each plug wire should go, IF your distributor drive gear is set up properly down in the distributor shaft hole:

Just try moving all your plug wires one position CLOCKWISE around the distributor cap and see if the car starts then.

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Read text on this one

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Read text on this one

I changed the wires to what you show in your diagram and I put a new distributor cap and rotor on it. It still didn’t work

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Bertsuko88 wrote:

I changed the wires to what you show in your diagram and I put a new distributor cap and rotor on it. It still didn’t work

Did you try what I said? Question

Look at cusser's diagram above, but instead of that positioning, place #1 plug wire where #2 is in that diagram, then go around clockwise around the cap 1-4-3-2. IF everything else is equal and the drive gear was installed correctly, then THAT is the correct orientation for an SVA distributor like what you have.

1600 SP engine
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Bertsuko88 wrote:

Did you try what I said? Question

Look at cusser's diagram above, but instead of that positioning, place #1 plug wire where #2 is in that diagram, then go around clockwise around the cap 1-4-3-2. IF everything else is equal and the drive gear was installed correctly, then THAT is the correct orientation for an SVA distributor like what you have.

I also tried what you said too but it didn’t work. Sorry I thought I put a reply on both replys
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Not bragging, but bet I could get it running or diagnose exactly what is wrong in under 15 minutes if I was there with it.

Can you show me better the large connector on the coil and its wire going to the center of the distributor cap? Your lack of shepherd's crook somewhat makes that confusing.
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Not bragging, but bet I could get it running or diagnose exactly what is wrong in under 15 minutes if I was there with it.

Can you show me better the large connector on the coil and its wire going to the center of the distributor cap? Your lack of shepherd's crook somewhat makes that confusing.

Hope that helps and that’s what you mean. Sorry if I’m not getting what you ask I’m new to all this but trying my best to learn!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues on a 1969 beetle Reply with quote

1. Get some aerosol starting fluid; spray some into the air cleaner, floor the pedal, see if the engine runs a few seconds or more. Try several times; if it does start and run a few seconds, your issue is fuel related. If not, then spark related.

2. If above test is done, and engine won't run at all: Is the small wire from the distributor connected to the POSITIVE terminal #1 on the coil? And all the other wires on distributor on coil terminal #15?

3. With the ignition key in the run position, do you have positive voltage to coil terminal #15?

4. If you hook a static light to coil terminal #1 and a helper cranks the engine, does the static light go on/off/on etc.?

5. If you hook a dwell meter to coil terminal #1 and a helper cranks the engine, us the dwell between 44 and 52 degrees?

If you don't have a points-type distributor, I don't know if #4 and #5 even apply.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: