Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memorial Day Weekend
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

For the 1st time in 20 + years I won't be going to the Memorial day services @ the Vt. Veterans Cemetery on Monday. That and work are not going to happen this year. I'll be grilling chicken & corn for 2 at home, plus the usual yard work. What are you all doing on this kick off to summer weekend ???

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Just more work around the house. I might go for a drive through the local cemeteries. A nice quiet drive.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

No camping for us this long weekend. Just grilling chicken and enjoy the time here at home.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Lousy weather supposed to happen here Friday and Saturday so Sunday is the day to try to do something outdoors. Work for me on Monday replenishing all of the liquor stores from all of the people drinking. Restaurants are still mostly closed or doing to go but the amount of wine and liquor getting sold out of them is minimal. And because we are a resort area i do more business in May/June than i do in Nov/Dec. This virus is hurting my 2 car garage/VW slush fund. #$%^&!!!

Everyone be safe and take time to remember and honor all of those who served in the military
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Im getting out and camping. I usually remember my friends that didn't make it back by having a few drinks.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

SSDD for me Neutral

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Powaypete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
Im getting out and camping. I usually remember my friends that didn't make it back by having a few drinks.

I'm not camping but I am tipping a few for lost friends.

We're all here because we're not all there.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Just got finished scraping off popcorn ceiling. Now to finish up the ceiling and paint walls just after having floors installed. Furniture displaced all over the house. It never ends.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Moving daughter out of one apt. And storing stuff for a week til new apt is ready. Why can't kids figure out you don't move something until you have a place to land it?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

dragging old faithful out (330 oil tank cut in 1/2) and having people in and out/camp all weekend

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

This is the first Memorial Day I’ve had off since 2003. Probably considered hokey by some but for 48 years they’ve had the Avenue of Flags here to honor veterans. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, American Legion, VFW, all the usual suspects are there to honor the deceased with over 4,000 flags and a ceremony. This year it’s dialed way back for Covid. We will drive over and see. Later will grill some food, chat with neighbors.

No significance or relation to the holiday but just random to look at because we like photos Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This is the first Memorial Day I’ve had off since 2003. Probably considered hokey by some but for 48 years they’ve had the Avenue of Flags here to honor veterans. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, American Legion, VFW, all the usual suspects are there to honor the deceased with over 4,000 flags and a ceremony. This year it’s dialed way back for Covid. We will drive over and see. Later will grill some food, chat with neighbors.

No significance or relation to the holiday but just random to look at because we like photos Very Happy

Well, it is red, white and blue.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Memorial day has always been a shitty weekend as far as i can remember--rainy! I can count on one hand how many times it did not rain on that weekend.

I am in Nebraska and checking my other home doing touch-ups on paint and things...general upkeep. Brought my M14 variant rifles so will be sighting in if I have time. Otherwise, just barbecue and drinks w/ family and friends. Talk politics.

The lockdown is really screwing up my plans for the summer. WE gotta thank the Chinese for that. Just damn lovely.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Well, it is red, white and blue.

I usually set this up for the 4th of July. Never really thought of setting up for Memorial Day Think

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

In a a sense , there is positive in this.

Memorial Day has been morphing into Spring Veterans Day, which it isn’t

It’s for the fallen.

We don’t celebrate it, but reflect by visiting cemeteries and take a dozen names down of those who gave their life in services and try to find their stories.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

been in my house over 20yrs now...
I've never been able to have the pool clean and ready by memorial day.

This year, with the help of the quarantine, I've gotten close...
I'll be working on it today and sunday (fingers crossed)..since there are no vw races to go to this weekend.

Pretty sure the pool going to be well used this year
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It’s for the fallen.

We don’t celebrate it, but reflect by visiting cemeteries and take a dozen names down of those who gave their life in services and try to find their stories.

Thank you, far too many people seem to have forgotten what Memorial Day is really about -- remembering those that gave their life, not thanking the living that have served.
Applause
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

obus wrote:
Lousy weather supposed to happen here Friday and Saturday so Sunday is the day to try to do something outdoors. Work for me on Monday replenishing all of the liquor stores from all of the people drinking. Restaurants are still mostly closed or doing to go but the amount of wine and liquor getting sold out of them is minimal. And because we are a resort area i do more business in May/June than i do in Nov/Dec. This virus is hurting my 2 car garage/VW slush fund. #$%^&!!!

Everyone be safe and take time to remember and honor all of those who served in the military

I feel your pain, Paul !!
This weekend, the high end Market I work at would do about $55,000-$60,000 in sales each day for the 3 day weekend. The prepared foods dept. that I work in had hit the 1 million $$ sales mark in 6 months, were slated to hit $1.7 mil. this fiscal year, guess not. Confused

Heres to a Quiet Memorial day !! Applause Dancing Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Abscate wrote:

It’s for the fallen.

Thank you, far too many people seem to have forgotten what Memorial Day is really about -- remembering those that gave their life, not thanking the living that have served.
Applause

So what does a disabled veteran get then? By your attitude, I don't appreciate it -this coming from a veteran. Memorial day is a day of mourning for ALL who have risked life and limbs defending your freedom. But also, those who have come home but have never really come home - the disabled ones. They too deserve our thanks.

I am flying my flag at half-staff to honor them all.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
So what does a disabled veteran get then? By your attitude, I don't appreciate it -this coming from a veteran. Memorial day is a day of mourning for ALL who have risked life and limbs defending your freedom. But also, those who have come home but have never really come home - the disabled ones. They too deserve our thanks.

I am flying my flag at half-staff to honor them all.

Being a disabled veteran myself, I stick to my assertion that Memorial Day is to remember those that are no longer with us and not a day of thanks or recognition for the living -- that would be Veteran's Day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: