Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood hinge area bent
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjbayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

Is there any way to fix this. Car had front end hit sometime in its past and bent the hinge attachment area of the hood. The first 2 pictures are of the hood damage and the third is how the hinge area is supposed to sit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

Drill out the spot welds. Remove the piece and take it over to the work bench. Get it back into shape and plug weld it back into place.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tjbayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

Thanks I’ll give that a try
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

How does the hood fit now? Is it that bad?
Marion, Iowa
tjbayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
How does the hood fit now? Is it that bad?

Gaps on both sides were 3/4 of an inch and hood was short at the front apron making it hard to close.
tjbayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

Removed the hinge attachments from the hood. Took some hammering and twisting to get it to lay closer to the original shape. The hardest parts was getting it back under the pinch seam along the back. I was surprised by how much rust was under this area so I took the time to treat that and paint it why I had it apart.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hood hinge area bent Reply with quote

tjbayless wrote:
Removed the hinge attachments from the hood. Took some hammering and twisting to get it to lay closer to the original shape. The hardest parts was getting it back under the pinch seam along the back. I was surprised by how much rust was under this area so I took the time to treat that and paint it why I had it apart.

Nice! The rust is everywhere on these cars. Moisture gets in and just stays. It is what it is. Clean it good. Naval Jelly what is left. Follow that up with a weldable copper primer. Then weld it back into place.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: