Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft Question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

Hi,

It must be a studied question, but I need to know why all the performance Cam's is Flat not Dished?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

I had a reground dished cam C35 spec.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

The dished cam does not seem to have any real advantage.
It seemed like a good idea to some engineer at VW.... but most of us agree the earlier design was fine, and is cheaper to make too.
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The dished cam does not seem to have any real advantage.
It seemed like a good idea to some engineer at VW.... but most of us agree the earlier design was fine, and is cheaper to make too.

Let me rephrase my question and make it more clear. A friend of mine have a work shop that makes performance cams for the last 15 years but not for an Air Cooled, I asked him if he can make me one, and he agreed but I don't have one Flat cam in hand to give it to him, only old Dished on.

He asked me for drawings, which I don't have also.

So I placed this question to know If he can clone the dished one with changing the left and duration for it.

Note: I'm in Egypt and buying from overseas I'll pay after shipping and customs like quadruple price.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

That's fine then.
You can re-grind a dished cam just the same as any other.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

pharos,
Does your country charge a VAT for items shipped to you from friends in the USA?
Maybe one of us here can help get you a camshaft and a set of flat cam gears that will suit your friends needs.

What camshaft profile are you looking to get copied?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
pharos,
Does your country charge a VAT for items shipped to you from friends in the USA?
Maybe one of us here can help get you a camshaft and a set of flat cam gears that will suit your friends needs.

What camshaft profile are you looking to get copied?

Thank you very much for offering, I'll consider that later,. Our country if F.... Us in every way also 1$US = 17 EGY so the price for the Egyptian is very high.

If you want to know how they charge I'll tell you Invoice+Shipping= goods cost then they add many kind of Vat's and Customs fees Embarassed
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

Which is better to be use with a full stock 1600 and stock rocker arms is it Engle W100 or Engle W110 or any other brand?, please consider it's a daily drive with heavy traffic and stop for long time, I might add a progressive also to gain more power.

Too many is doing a 34 Pict 3 mod also, but I never try it before is it worth or it's better to go with the progressive?

Please advice
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Question Reply with quote

Its not so much the import fees. That happens all over the World. It is more the value of Egypt£ over $ or €
Both an improved stock carb and a progressive can work well. As I wrote earlier, if you want a nippy 1600 that has an easy idle you chose the CB 2239 over the W100. If you want more grunt and don´t care so much for rpm power the CB 2280 or the Pauter B4 is the choice.

A W100 in a stock carbed 1600/1776 engine can work of course, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to get to run right and it takes a lot to get a nice idle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: