Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

I decided to bring my newly rebuilt super vert to the outer banks of NC for Memorial Day week. She drove perfectly on the highway, averaging 230 degrees oil temp at 70-75 mph for 5 hrs. Then on the first errand trip here to get groceries, idle speed was erratic and there is a distinctive chirping noise coming from my alternator. I suspect one of the bearings is in the process of seizing. I can actually see the belt jerk when the chirp occurs. I have basic tools with me, but I believe the bearings are sealed and it’s not possible to get a part shipped out here before we leave. Any advice on how to keep this chirp from turning into an all out failure? Alternator is the original Bosch—44 years old—and the only major part I chose not to replace (though I did clean the armature and brushes) during the rebuild because it seemed to be working very well. Thanks!
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

New bearings is the only way.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Wow - not sure what to tell you finding those or an alternator in stock in a FLAPS is going to be a challenge. I would STRONGLY suggest a post titled "NEED TYPE 1 ALTERNATOR HELP NOW OUTER BANKS NC. You are hoping to find someone close by that may have what you need in their stash and hopefully their garage is close by.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Look up "Island Cruisers" in OBX. They rent dune buggies, nice folks. They might be able to point you to some VW parts places.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Are you sure it's the bearing? There might be a bit of debris lodged between the armature and the stator, which I've had happen to me before. It might even be that the woodruff key sheared off in the pulley.

At any rate, the rear cover is easy to remove with simple tools, and can be done with the alternator still on the engine. Once you get the belt and pulley off, there are only three little screws that secure the cover plate to the body of the alternator. That will expose the stator and the back end of the armature, and the rear bearing.

Good luck, man.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

If you dont get it fix hopefully if you baby it no more than 55mph you can make the trip back ,i had bearing on alt make all kinds if noise for a while with out failure till i was able to replace alt , good luck
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Look up "Island Cruisers" in OBX. They rent dune buggies, nice folks. They might be able to point you to some VW parts places.

Holy small world. Our rental house is 0.3 miles from Island Cruisers. I called them and the owner is incredibly helpful. He didn’t have the part but he referred me to a shop 30 minutes away that can get a remanufactured Bosch in by Tuesday morning, and either the owner or his father—also both less than a mile from me—can install it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Are you sure it's the bearing? There might be a bit of debris lodged between the armature and the stator, which I've had happen to me before. It might even be that the woodruff key sheared off in the pulley.

At any rate, the rear cover is easy to remove with simple tools, and can be done with the alternator still on the engine. Once you get the belt and pulley off, there are only three little screws that secure the cover plate to the body of the alternator. That will expose the stator and the back end of the armature, and the rear bearing.

Good luck, man.

I’m pretty sure it’s the bearing. When I first assembled my engine (about 500 miles ago), the rear bearing was grumbling (a low rumbling noise every 30 seconds or so) quite a bit at idle. I loosened the belt by a few shims and the noise went away. But I should have taken the hint.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Holy small world. Our rental house is 0.3 miles from Island Cruisers. I called them and the owner is incredibly helpful. He didn’t have the part but he referred me to a shop 30 minutes away that can get a remanufactured Bosch in by Tuesday morning, and either the owner or his father—also both less than a mile from me—can install it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

There you go. Good luck.

Are the beaches open? I bet a buggy ride on the beach would be a great deal of fun right about now, and a good way to make the VW part of your trip a little bit less disappointing. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
virusdoc wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

There you go. Good luck.

Are the beaches open? I bet a buggy ride on the beach would be a great deal of fun right about now, and a good way to make the VW part of your trip a little bit less disappointing. Laughing

Way to go Q-Dog! That's some Samba greatness there!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator issues. Any thing that can help me get home? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

The beaches are open with social distancing orders in place. It’s chilly and cloudy though so there aren’t many people anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: