Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

Hi sweet Friends! I've been a Members for years, back when I Got my first T3. This place is a wonderful source of info. Now I have a Vanagon imported from USA and I have a little issue with decoding the VIN. I know the ZZZs are supposed to be here but in my case it looks weird. The papers state there is a 2 in a place of one of those Zs and I wonder why and how it happened. Does anyone know what might be the reason for that? Also I’m pretty sure one of those first three Zs is actually a 2. Is that normal? Is it is a two, the online vin check match up for both the longer version and short one, but I just wanna calm my head a bit. Any tips appreciated!

Papers:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body:

5th digit is (or looks like) a 2

Last edited by Biijacz on Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

The VIN number is not a big secret to decode;
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=110

Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

Beakerflo wrote:
The VIN number is not a big secret to decode;
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=110

[

yeah but I man the difference with the Zs and 2s or hoever I should call it.
Decode night be a bad word, I mean I dont know how american vin numbers are "made". In Europe the body matches the papers, here are the Zs and not only they exsist they also seem missplaced.
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

W - From Germany
V - Volkswagen
2 - Multi-Purpose Vehicle
Z - 1980-1991 Camper variant
A - 4-cyl petro air cooled engine
0 - if seatbelt, than a 9 should be here
25 - Vanagon version
2 - nothing
C - Model year 1982
H - Made in Hannover
089042 - production number for your specific car.
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

Beakerflo wrote:
W - From Germany
V - Volkswagen
2 - Multi-Purpose Vehicle
Z - 1980-1991 Camper variant
A - 4-cyl petro air cooled engine
0 - if seatbelt, than a 9 should be here
25 - Vanagon version
2 - nothing
C - Model year 1982
H - Made in Hannover
089042 - production number for your specific car.

Thanks! but also why is it different than the body? I looked through the forum and the last 10 digits should Match, they dont...
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

In Europe the vin-number started with the following;
WV2ZZZ25ZJG (my car)
The three Z's were fill-ups and did not stand for anything.

With cars imported in Amerika these were used. As you can also see with the GoWesty site.

So there can be the discrepancy. Cars in Europe ought to have the ZZZ on place 4, 5 and 6.
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

By the way, the 9th is a fill-up Z as well according to my European documentation. This is a Z in my car as well.
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

Beakerflo wrote:
By the way, the 9th is a fill-up Z as well according to my European documentation. This is a Z in my car as well.

so from my understanding the vin on chassis reads:

WV2ZZZ25ZCH089042

and in America the VIN was changed as follows:

WV2- stayed
ZZZ-replaced with ZA0
25-stayed
Z-replaced with 2(?) this is the one that bugs me was yours replaced as well?
CH89042- stayed

overall making the american vin: WV2ZA0252CH089042
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

I would think so, but I can not be sure.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

Biijacz wrote:
body:

5th digit is (or looks like) a 2

Is this the frame rail VIN?
The ZZZ gets assigned during export to north america. Your paperwork should match the VIN in the door jam and on the dash.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

For the US that number in position 9 is a mathematical construct known as a check digit. So it is a Z in the European vin but is something else in the North American vin. Exactly what it is supposed to be is different depending on the rest of of the vin#.

A mathematical process looks at all of the other letters and numbers and then generates the "check digit" to put in position 9.

The purpose of the "check digit" is to detect errors and prevent false vins from being used.

If you know someone who was educated in computer science then they can probably explain this to you such that you understand it better.

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/CheckDigit/Index/5yj3e1eaxhf000316

Mark
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
For the US that number in position 9 is a mathematical construct known as a check digit. So it is a Z in the European vin but is something else in the North American vin. Exactly what it is supposed to be is different depending on the rest of of the vin#.

A mathematical process looks at all of the other letters and numbers and then generates the "check digit" to put in position 9.

The purpose of the "check digit" is to detect errors and prevent false vins from being used.

If you know someone who was educated in computer science then they can probably explain this to you such that you understand it better.

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/CheckDigit/Index/5yj3e1eaxhf000316

Mark

fun fact, I am a compsci engineer hahaha thanks!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe Reply with quote

WV2ZA0252CH089042
WV2ZA025ZCH089042

You are correct in that the paper VIN number has a number 2 that is actually a "Z" on the metal stamped VIN.
I didn't know about the "check digit" system in the American system.

The "ZA0" is completely different change of the numbers that are stamped on the body.

The "ZAO" is correct as far as telling what the vehicle is per the VIN Decoder for VW cars.
Is it going to be a problem? I mean you have the official paperwork given to the "Official Office" for importing the vehicle and it was accepted as legal.
What happens when a policemen on the street sees it on your Vanagon?
What are they going to think?

I do not know how your official bureaucracy works over there in regards to something like this, but perhaps you need to have a conversation with them about it. Bringing a good clear picture and all the VW Vin decoder info you have found to them so they understand like you do.
If they say it needs to be corrected they will probably do so it "fits" your Polish system. Maybe they will understand the worldwide system and say it is okay.

My own VIN number registration is still showing the three "Z's" on the paper work. However, my vehicle was imported by myself like you imported yours into Poland. So I was the person at the registration office getting the numbers entered into the "system" as they actually were on the body of the vehicle. i was glad I was doing it as the clerk i met that day wasn't even sure of what day it was!
However, now I inputted my VIN number into the check digit website and it shows my VIN as being in error...sigh...I need more coffee!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

The US standard "full" VIN is only present at the dash VIN panel. The crossmember stamped chassis NR is the VW standard and uses Z-s as placeholders where the US Type specific VIN codes are.

On european type approval those information either was not relevant or was part of the ABE approval nr. which was stamped on the Type approval plate in the passenger side door jamb at the A pillar.

You should contact the official VW importer to make an official statement about the two VINs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

In North American models there is an additional Federal manufacturing sticker in the driver front door opening. It has various info on it including the "complete" vin. In Calif the DMV inspector looks for that Federal sticker and expects the vin number on it to match the dash plate number and the paperwork number. Models built for Canada used a Canadian version of the sticker.

Mark
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

Biijacz wrote:
Now I have a Vanagon imported from USA and I have a little issue with decoding the VIN.

North America: WV2ZA0252CH089042
Outside North America & Chassis: WV2ZZZ25ZCH089042

There is nothing wrong here.

The VIN plate on the dash, the production decal in the door jamb, and the build sheet sticker below the fuse box should all have the WV2ZA0252CH089042 VIN as well. If they do, stop worrying and go drive your new toy. Wink

http://museum.cabby-info.com/vin.htm#Z (info applies to all '80s and '90s Volkswagens). Scroll down and you'll see how to calculate the check digit.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Biijacz wrote:
Now I have a Vanagon imported from USA and I have a little issue with decoding the VIN.

North America: WV2ZA0252CH089042
Outside North America & Chassis: WV2ZZZ25ZCH089042

There is nothing wrong here.

The VIN plate on the dash, the production decal in the door jamb, and the build sheet sticker below the fuse box should all have the WV2ZA0252CH089042 VIN as well. If they do, stop worrying and go drive your new toy. Wink

http://museum.cabby-info.com/vin.htm#Z (info applies to all '80s and '90s Volkswagens). Scroll down and you'll see how to calculate the check digit.

oh boy I Wish it was that easy hahahaha I need to swap the subaru that sita inside first Wink

Thanks everyone for the valuable info, I'm going to see the car now to make sure everything adds up!

Cheers,
Aleksa
loverofpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

So strange discovered that my ‘82 T3 is in fact an ‘86 according to the vin number.
Biijacz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

Fun (not really) fact. Both plates from the inside are missing. I mean the one on the passenger door and the one under the driver seat. I was aware that the one on the door is missing but the one under the seat was supposed to be there. It’s not. Or at least I can’t find it. I have the one on the dashboard and that’s about it.
loverofpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon in Europe, VIN questions Reply with quote

Biijacz wrote:
Fun (not really) fact. Both plates from the inside are missing. I mean the one on the passenger door and the one under the driver seat. I was aware that the one on the door is missing but the one under the seat was supposed to be there. It’s not. Or at least I can’t find it. I have the one on the dashboard and that’s about it.

It took me a while but I did find mine. Look under the driver's seat it should be on the right hand side of that seat (or the left hand side if you're looking at it from the front of the seat), stamped into the metal.

How does the van look otherwise? Is it in good shape? Engine? Transmission? Paperwork besides the vin #? Is it going to be registered in Poland for the first time or does it already have Polish papers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: